New Totl headphone amp

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
New kid on the block

I am intrigued by this Linear Tube Audio Z10e Integrated Electrostatic/Magnetic Headphone/Speaker Amplifier since I have Stax 009s.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...aticmagnetic-headphonespeaker-amplifier-r873/

I have also recently had the pleasure of auditioning a pair of new Abyss AB-1266 isodynamic phones powered by Headamp’s GSX Mark II amplifier in balanced mode. These very expensive headphones sound great, but they lack the detail, cleanliness and effortless extension afforded by the Z10e when paired with the Stax SR-009s!

quoted from above audiophilestyle review.

https://www.stereophile.com/content...r-tube-audio-z10e-integrated-amplifier-page-2

On a good night, I can stay locked on for, at best, 180 seconds. With the SR-009S 'phones and Z10e amp, I listened to four complete tracks without once remembering where I was or what I was doing. Complete enthrallment. While listening to Melnikov, my ears and mind's eyes were in the microphones located about 30" from Alexander's piano strings. Everything I heard seemed extremely nuanced.

With the LTA amp, the new "S-type" Stax 009 created a tear-inducing, lightning-fast sound that kept me engrossed for record lengths of time. Best of all, this newfound bass response came with genuine boogie-factor. Even the subtlest musical rhythms had a distinct, engaging pulse.

Nice expression by Herb!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing