New Tubes

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
If the tubes are indeed 11 years old, I am not surprised that they died. The way they wrote the 1 and 9 is very typically French. I have seen this with all the French people I know.

Reactions: jadis

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi Adrian, these are the original EH matched pair selected by Jadis for my amp. These died suddenly. And there are 2 sets of measurements in each tube. Would you know what these are, like plate voltage, etc?

View attachment 87970
11.15 or 10.40 is the static slope is defined as a measure of the amplification of the tube for a certain point on the characteristic curve, which lies in the approximately linear characteristic curve, as S = ?IA / ?UG in mA / V
grid voltage and anode current determine the gain pic exsample 20220113_081157.jpg

Reactions: Pacha and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
129.4 is probably the plate current in mA. B3 probably marks the position of the tube on the amp. Don't know what 11.15 means, but the date of manufacture is sometimes indicated by year and week. Therefore, this could mean 15th week of 2011 (since the other is 10.40, probably 40th week of 2010).
Thanks Adrian. A3 and B3 indeed are the tube socket positions posted in their manual.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
11.15 or 10.40 is the static slope is defined as a measure of the amplification of the tube for a certain point on the characteristic curve, which lies in the approximately linear characteristic curve, as S = ?IA / ?UG in mA / V
grid voltage and anode current determine the gain pic exsample View attachment 87973
Thanks for your inputs, Stephan.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So much tech specs for a tube amp. LOL I'm a tube gear and tube lover but never got into the tech specs part of it. I let my trusted source do all the matching . Power tubes for me , I decided not to invest in the NOS variety because they do not really last that long. I feel the the old ARC amp with individual pots per tube is the best in finding new tube replacements. Jadis indeed uses push pull for each pair. Long ago I thought they has some electrical thing to regulated their so called auto bias system.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thanks for your inputs, Stephan.
my pleasure, "S" not so important in a pushpull amplifier design, because you hear the sum of all tubes in chanel in fixed bias pushpull amps there are often symmetry potentiometers to compensate for the perfect.
a set amplifier it is important that both channels amplify equally loudly.

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
An update on the pair of failed tubes in my Jadis PA100 amp. I had the 2 tubes tested and one of them is really dead while the other is quite strong (all the way to the end of the green good area). So apparently, when 1 tube dies, the amp's circuit has a way to 'kill' its partnered push-pull tube, thats' what I figured. I have 2 brand new Psvane K88 replacing the stock EH tube pair in the meantime (just to make it work) while I ordered 2 pairs of brand new EH KT88s matched pairs. 1 pair as reserves. I'll test them when they arrived in a week.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing