MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Deleted

Last edited:

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I can see some Roksan, SME, Basis and VPI on it ....

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I can see some Roksan, SME, Basis and VPI on it ....

First thing that came to my mind! I'm sure it sounds great, but it's a bit too industrial-looking for my taste.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What is it with clear acrylic? They don't make black anymore?

IMO that is damm ugly.

Conti does the same thing with his beautiful Basis tables and turns them ugly by using cleat acrylic.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This OTOH is gorgeous!

oracle-delphiVI.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Flat belt

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
The first record player from Vertere consists of a plinth around which two versions are built, the SG1 or Standard Groove 1 and Reference Groove 1. The difference between the two lies in the key component parts used. There is a Standard bearing and platter or a Reference bearing and platter, ditto power supply. Interestingly the power supply can also be used to upgrade a Roksan Xerxes. There will also be Standard and Reference platforms and covers. Unsurprisingly it has some similarities to the TMS that Touraj designed for Roksan, the three slab plinth being the most obvious, also the platter and arm are on a separate subchassis. But it differs significantly too, for a start it’s made of acrylic and its aluminium platter is bonded to an acrylic top plate (SG1). The SG1 can also be upgraded to RG1 status. Price including the as yet unfinalised Standard arm will be £12,750 with the Reference coming in at around twice this price.

http://www.the-ear.net/news/vertere-sg1-rg1-record-player

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Here we go again, designers moving away from their original company and creating a cost no object creation. Just what is it with these stupid prices? I used to own a Xerxes 10 and TMS 3, and can't see anything here that's a major move beyond the nested plinth concept on Touraj's original creations, certainly nothing that would command 3x+ the price.
I agree, this is butt ugly, esp wrt the TMS 3 which was a marvel of aesthetics/industrial design, and IMHO the best tt design of the 80s/90s along with the Oracle.
There better be something really groundbreaking/original, otherwise it's just a punt into high end pricing waters.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That seems quite impressive, though I have no reference about how some other top spindle/bearings perform. There is an SME factory tour video on Youtube which shows an SME platter spinning for a very long time with a simple push.

This video is excellent for getting across his point. He could also show his turntable right on that kitchen table and give the platter a push to see how smooth and long it spins demonstrating the bearing in practice. But the air suction and tolerance demonstration is very cool. Thanks for posting.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
That was interesting to watch!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nice tech, but clear acrylic is so last decade. I should know, I gave up my last (acrylic!) tt at turn of this decade.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
"The Standard Bearing is probably the best bearing in the world" ...

Really?

Honestly, that bearing demo could be easily duplicated using a variety of other high quality turntable bearings. And unlimited spin is NO indication of how a turntable bearing is going to impact the sound of a turntable. In fact, a certain amount of introduced viscous drag within the bearing has proven very beneficial to one of my 'tables sound quality, despite the fact that I could make it spin by itself for over 5 minutes if required. The implementation of the bearing as part & parcel of the turntable design - is obviously the real key - but that demo did nothing to suggest otherwise.

tb1

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I think they were trying to show how close the tolerances are. FWIW, when testing my VPI, I was able to trap an air bubble in the bearing hole of the platter, so that the platter would actually float (and bounce if you were to push it down with your finger); then I started the motor and let it spin for days, and the air bubble never escaped under the platter's pressure. This was just a test because I really want to mechanically ground the platter to the base, so today I have been able to get the platter instead to "float" on a tiny layer of lithium grease above the bearing ball, so that the bearing ball never actually touches the platter - it took a bit of calculation to figure out the amount of grease to apply once I measured the geometry of the bearing, but it wasn't that difficult.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I think they were trying to show how close the tolerances are. FWIW, when testing my VPI, I was able to trap an air bubble in the bearing hole of the platter, so that the platter would actually float (and bounce if you were to push it down with your finger); then I started the motor and let it spin for days, and the air bubble never escaped under the platter's pressure. This was just a test because I really want to mechanically ground the platter to the base, so today I have been able to get the platter instead to "float" on a tiny layer of lithium grease above the bearing ball, so that the bearing ball never actually touches the platter - it took a bit of calculation to figure out the amount of grease to apply once I measured the geometry of the bearing, but it wasn't that difficult.

Probably very much worth the effort tho ...

Did you check noise levels during the process? The reason I ask is based on experience; one can make any really good bearing spin like a top if required, but some (not all) will produce more noise utilized that way. Introduced amounts of viscous drag will help damp and even may eliminate bearing noise, and it can also help alleviate stylus drag issues & stabilize platter rotation. I'm not claiming anything new, many a turntable white paper ...

tb1

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am pretty sure the noise floor is lower than before, but testing for bearing noise is very subjective. Unfortunately, the stethoscope I usually use in all things mechanical cannot be really utilized here...

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I am pretty sure the noise floor is lower than before, but testing for bearing noise is very subjective. Unfortunately, the stethoscope I usually use in all things mechanical cannot be really utilized here...

I can clearly hear levels of bearing noise with the many I've tested, and different kinds of noise also - using my particular steth. Lubes even introduce noise, like a continuous hissing sound (for example). Balls/trust pads/sleeves, all can create noise to one degree or another, and any noise at this juncture is direct-coupled to the LP (esp if clamped).

One can test a bearing in several ways, but I think it's important to test under-load, with & without belt, in which levels of motor induced noise (which also change depending on load) are also introduced.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing