New Weiss DAC 501 / 502

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
From Weiss's website:

The DAC501 / DAC502 are our new state of the art D/A Converters with an unprecedented level of sophistication and versatily.
The DAC502 uses a larger frame but else sports the same features as the DAC501. Except for an an additional 4 pin headphone socket at the back of the unit.

With the DAC50x we are creating a new paradigm for what used to be a black box device. A typical D/A Converter is a "set and forget" device. Not so with the DAC50x. It adds a number of interesting signal processing features and sports a variety of digital inputs [emphasis added]. Balanced, unbalanced and headphone outputs are provided.​

I am intrigued, particularly by the crosstalk cancellation circuit. Have any members had a chance to hear the 501 / 502 at shows or dealers?

dac502-front-l.png

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
I'm curious too! :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

nicoludio

Apr 15, 2014
DAC501 / DAC502 Mk2 version has been launched, with option for 4-channel outputs.

Apparently now with ESS9038 PRO and upgraded analog board.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Weiss DAC 501/502 is wonderful DAC and if you want to have an idea about it you should listen to it.
sound of DACs depends on many factors like Power supply design / analog stage and ...

to have good sound from Weiss you should consider these items:
- break-in time is more than 300 hours
- use only XLR Balance Cables for both analog output and digital input
- use proper AC Polarity not invert (proper polarity chassis voltage is 115v and invert polarity chassis voltage is 105v)
- for Roon ready mode use high quality ethernet cables (PC/MAC to Switch and Switch to DAC) like acoustic Revive
- for USB mode use high quality USB Cable like Purist Anniversary
- for Connecting to Transport only use XLR input (AES/EBU) with high quality Digital XLR Cable like Acrolink

I think in right system the Weiss DAC501/502 easily beats most DACs (under $20k) .

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
to have good sound from Weiss you should also consider the input sensitivity of pre-amplifier
the weiss DAC501/502 output voltage is around 7.2 volts and if the pre amp clip 7.2v then you should set weiss output to -10db
when the preamp clip the signal you will hear forward sound but if you adjust output voltage then the sound is perfect

Weiss DAC501/502 is the best SS DAC for it's price range

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Hi, anyone already got the 4ch upgrade and can share some first impressions?
Joschka told me it makes significant improvements.

I'm still waiting, since 2months they still have chip delivery issues...hopefully by end of Sep.

Thx
Gerald

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
Weiss DAC 501/502 is wonderful DAC and if you want to have an idea about it you should listen to it.
sound of DACs depends on many factors like Power supply design / analog stage and ...

to have good sound from Weiss you should consider these items:
- break-in time is more than 300 hours
- use only XLR Balance Cables for both analog output and digital input
- use proper AC Polarity not invert (proper polarity chassis voltage is 115v and invert polarity chassis voltage is 105v)
- for Roon ready mode use high quality ethernet cables (PC/MAC to Switch and Switch to DAC) like acoustic Revive
- for USB mode use high quality USB Cable like Purist Anniversary
- for Connecting to Transport only use XLR input (AES/EBU) with high quality Digital XLR Cable like Acrolink

I think in right system the Weiss DAC501/502 easily beats most DACs (under $20k) .
I've the best result with XLR and Spdif (Tiglon) to modified Lumin Mini u2 (with Ferrum Hypsos). Tried AES NBS... not having anything else tested.

What I've realized, the device gets pretty hot in the back top (analogue output stage). Since i put under the feets 4cm absorbers, it is much better (seems bottom plate gets quiet hot as well and feets are to close to the surface, at least not optimal if you use wood like I do).

Last edited:
Reactions: Amir

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
gerihifi
Thank you

I ordered new 4 channel Weiss DAC501 and it will ship soon.
I think it will be wonderful

I will report here

Reactions: gerihifi

jjgasp

Jun 10, 2021
gerihifi
Thank you

I ordered new 4 channel Weiss DAC501 and it will ship soon.
I think it will be wonderful

I will report here
Amir, how does the 4ch version output to four channels? I don't see any difference in the number of outputs on the rear panel.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Amir, how does the 4ch version output to four channels? I don't see any difference in the number of outputs on the rear panel.

Once we have the 4 channel software it will output the 4 channels via the two XLR and the two RCA connectors.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
DAC501-4ch and DAC502-4ch

>> What is the purpose of the -4ch versions?
The -4ch versions use one of the latest DAC chips with stellar technical specifications. So the -4ch versions make for an enhanced 2 channel DAC, with the same features as the DAC501 / DAC502 units sport. The sonic characteristics of the -4ch versions are on a higher level with incredible transparency and openness. Both line output stages and headphone output stages are built with discrete electronics similar to the standard DAC50x.
All standard DAC50x units can be upgraded with the -4ch version. It is a new analog section module to be installed in the unit plus a new software needs to be loaded. It is our goal to keep our equipment upgradeable for long-term securing of your investment. The standard DAC501 / DAC502 units we continue to manufacture.
In addition the -4ch versions will be capable to play 4 channels simultaneously once we introduce the necessary software. This also with the goal to get a more live – like reproduction at home and to accommodate for the upcoming 3D Audio productions in a high-end HiFi setup where a very limited number of available speaker channels often is a matter of fact. This will be the future of high-end audio reproduction.

page2image259693936

>> What 4 channel applications are planned?
Here is a list of 4 – channel features we have in mind. There is no guarantee that we will implement all of them, though. We would be pleased to get information from you about what 4 channel features you would like to see.
The audio sources for the setups mentioned below can be two or more channels. The input channels are automatically rendered such that they fit the format of the four outputs.
  • 2 channel front speakers, 2 channel rear speakers for surround playback.
    This setup adds another pair of speakers at the back for an enveloping sound.
  • 2 channel front speakers, 2 channel front speakers at a different angle.
    A very interesting setup for a more enveloping sound. Based on a design by the Swiss audio company “Pawel Acoustics”.
  • 2 channel front speakers, 1 channel front center speaker, 1 channel subwoofer.
    In early stereo times there have been made 3 channel recordings with left, right and center channels. The center channel is of great use for a realistic reproduction. The fourth channel can be configured to feed a subwoofer speaker.
  • 2 channel front speakers, 2 channel subwoofers.
    For a decent full range system, based on satellites and subwoofers, the use of a stereo instead of a mono subwoofer is advantageous.
  • 2 channel front speakers with crosstalk cancellation, 2 channel rear speakers with crosstalk cancellation.
    Crosstalk Cancellation (XTC) means that a pair of speakers becomes kind of a headphone in that the left speaker only reaches the left ear and the right speaker only reaches the right ear – similar to a headphone. This has the effect of generating a huge soundstage in front of the listener with a very life-like reproduction of a life recording. By adding a second pair of XTC speakers at the back an enveloping life-like scenery can be achieved.
  • 2 channel headphones type A, 2 channel headphones type B for two persons listening simultaneously with two different headphone models.
    Allows two persons to listen to the same music program each with his/her own set of headphones and signal processing.

Some more “exotic” ideas which need some refinement in the design process:

2 channel front speakers, 2 channel front elevated speakers.
Another way to generate a more live – like sound with a sound stage which extends to the space above the listener. Similar to a concert hall speaker setup.
2 channel front speakers, 2 channel headphones for simultaneous listening via speakers and headphones.
With extremely open headphones it is possible to listen to speakers and headphones simultaneously. This makes for a new listening sensation not experienced before.
We are considering even more setup variants – let us know what you would like to see.
page4image271111376

>> What technology is used?
The DAC501-4ch and DAC502-4ch units are based on the following hardware parts:
  • ARM processor for Network and USB interfacing and general control of the unit
  • SHARC Signal Processor chip for various signal processing tasks including sampling frequency
    conversion and high precision volume control
  • Extensive power supply with separate power transformers and many high precision voltage
    regulators
  • Local, very low jitter clock generator for the D/A converter
  • State of the art D/A conversion
  • Discrete analog sections following the D/A conversion
  • Very low impedance outputs
  • Analog output level selection to accommodate for amplifiers and headphones

>> Some technical specifications
  • Signal to Noise Ratio: Better than 128dB
  • Signal to Distortion and Noise Ratio: Better than 115dB
  • Linearity: Within a 120dB range less than +-0.2dB deviation from ideal
  • Spurious components including harmonics: Less than -120dB
  • Crosstalk between channels: Less than -110dB, 20Hz up to 20kHz
    >> The team behind the Series 5 units (DAC501, DAC502, DAC501-4ch, DAC502- 4ch, DSP501, DSP502):
    Daniel Weiss, hardware design
    Rolf Anderegg, Isabelle Kernhof, software design
    Joschka Weiss, algorithm testing, sonic optimization (crossfeed, DAC section) Jakob Schiesser, PCB layout and mechanical design
    Claude Gugolz, manufacturing
    Laurin Eicher, production testing

page5image271372448

gerihifi

Sep 5, 2022
Germany, Hamburg
will provide update with pictures in a couple weeks, currently updated by Daniel Weiss....finally ;-)

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
DAC 501/502 Review

me and my friends have compared Weiss Engineering to many dacs (dCS, Accuphase, Gryphon, Aqua, CEC , ...)
in a transparent system no dac even come close to Weiss in it's price range .
wiess is the best if you want rightness, clarity, transparency , purity, neutral Tone

I think weiss is perfect in it's price range

Daniel Weiss is a professional designer and he is between 5 top professional digital designers in the world.

if you think dCS or MSB made expensive DAC then check the 200kg Weiss Maya.

1663574813870.jpeg

Attachments

• 1663574801155.png
    1663574801155.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: gerihifi

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
1663574908224.png

Reactions: Artnet and gerihifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing