New Wilson Alexia system underway

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I have been a Wilson Audio fan for many years, starting as a customer then after spending time with Dave & Sheryl I became the distributor for Australia and New Zealand for over a decade. I had the Alexandria X2's and a beautiful system when the GFC hit me hard. In the space of a few years I had lost everything and could no longer do my duty as the Wilson Audio distributor. I even had a period of homelessness. A difficult time of life with many hard lessons learnt.

s29.jpg

IMG_4592.jpg MXR.jpg

I have loved music since I was a small boy and over the past few years I could not contemplate a 2 channel system, so headphone it was. I am now starting in 2 channel all over again with the help of family and friends. I have just come back from Sydney where I setup and listened for a day to the Alexia's. A good friend of mine is now the Wilson distributor and is being incredibly kind & helpful. I fell in love with the Alexia's. I had asked for them to be driven by the D'Agostino Momentum Integrated which as a tube lover I had low exception of, I could not have been more wrong it was a beautiful combination and exactly my cup of tea.

I am posting here as it this is exciting stuff and I cannot wait to be able to listen to good music reproduction at home again, I also have plenty of questions:

Colour: I have been undecided between Grey and the Darker of the 2 Oranges - I am currently more in favour of the Orange, does anybody else here have that colour or other colours to recommend.

Stillpoints: I have been reading about the Stillpoints Ultra 5's (I think) and I am wanting to get some feedback on those.

Amp: I am going to go with the D'Agostino Stream or MLife as it is only a little more expensive than the normal integrated and gives more flexibility, I am wondering if this is the right way to go?

DAC: I am using the Computer Audio Design 1543 DAC with the CAT streamer, this is a very musical DAC and has the analog sound I enjoy. The Alexia's were paired with the Gryphon Kalliope DAC - anyone have any impressions of this?

Thanks in advance, thoroughly enjoying the community in these forums.

Simon

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Congrats on the Alexia's. I'm still loving mine and they make me money!!
If I didn't have the Pass amps, my second choice would certainly be the D'Agostino amps. I heard them with ARC, but they were a little soft for my liking.
Definitely get the Stillpoint Ultra 5's for them. Almost seems mandatory. Mine are in Desert Silver, but I do like the Orange!

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Bruce, hopefully everything will be confirmed this week.

I am a analog/tube lover so I found the D'Agostino's very easy to listen to, depending on how I end with my fine tuning in my room, the thought crossed my mind that I might slightly bump the tweeter up. We shall see. Re colour its always tempting to play it safe with a more neutral colour but I do think the Orange as long as it a rich orange will be eye catching and lets face there is no hiding them.

Do you have any photos of the Ultra 5's and how you have them placed? I have carpet, will they still work on there?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Rockitman uses the Ultra 5's on his Alexandria's on carpet. I think Steve does as well.

You can see my thread HERE.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can't answer your questions but congratulations on the purchase! I can almost feel your anticipation :). Must be very exciting.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I can't answer your questions but congratulations on the purchase! I can almost feel your anticipation :). Must be very exciting.

Thanks, still have to confirm a few things but hopefully done this week. I have trying to console myself with good headphones but as soon as I heard the Alexia's I fell hard. Astonishing difference with the tweeter and just the right size. I have to organise some budget speaker cable for the time being, I used to use Transparent OPUS - not on the horizon this time. At least the power is sorted. Very happy with the Shunyata - love that stuff !

I have to wait until mid September as the amp is not shipping until then

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Simon

Good to see you back and able to enjoy expensive hifi again.

I have the Momentum Stereo and Maxx3's from Joe. only SS amp I have been able to live with. Great combo.
Stillpoints are excellent - I first used Stillpoint Ultra's under the Maxx's almost 3 years ago now, they work very well.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have to wait until mid September as the amp is not shipping until then
Oh, I didn't realize the Stream had not shipped yet. Would be great to have your feedback on the streamer portion. It is a new domain for them. Software stack for these things is tricky to get right.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations on the Alexia's. I owned them for some time and really enjoyed them. Once properly placed they can play excellent music with many types of electronics - much less specific than some other speakers I have owned. The pictures you show look great, but I have to say that in my room and with my electronics and cables I preferred them to the X2 that I hosted before getting them.

I am now playing with a Devialet 400 - two Devialet 200's used in mono blocks. Unfortunately the Alexia's are gone, I would love to test them with the Alexia's. Or with the XLF's ;) , one of the two be best sounding demo's I ever participated used the XLF's.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Oh, I didn't realize the Stream had not shipped yet. Would be great to have your feedback on the streamer portion. It is a new domain for them. Software stack for these things is tricky to get right.

I spoke with Dan's designer and they are waiting on Apple approval, I have been recently working on iOS development and it can take a while especially if its your 1st submission. From what I could gather, the DAC section will be okay but probably not world class, however given its a US $3K difference in price it does add a lot of functionality.

The 1st units ship in early September.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Simon

congrats on the Alexias. I do seem to remember you when you were the distributor for Wilson in Australia many years ago. I seem to remember an audiogon forum thread of yours regarding changing the resistors on ones Wilson speakers on an annual basis ( if that was you as I remember it being by the Wilson distributor in Australia). I also remember those photos of the red and blue X2

I also have Ultra 5's under my speakers

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Congratulations on the Alexia's. I owned them for some time and really enjoyed them. Once properly placed they can play excellent music with many types of electronics - much less specific than some other speakers I have owned. The pictures you show look great, but I have to say that in my room and with my electronics and cables I preferred them to the X2 that I hosted before getting them.

I am now playing with a Devialet 400 - two Devialet 200's used in mono blocks. Unfortunately the Alexia's are gone, I would love to test them with the Alexia's. Or with the XLF's ;) , one of the two be best sounding demo's I ever participated used the XLF's.

Having lived with a number of Wilson speakers in the past and the X2's for some time I was really surprised at the how the sound has evolved. It is a huge step, the largest Wilson have taken to date IMHO. I also found the tweeter dispersement to be much more accommodating and much easier to setup. Image height was good too, at no stage did I feel I was missing out on anything and found I prefer the easier to live with footprint and more intimate sound.

isquirrel

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Hello Steve, yep that's me.

Congratulations on establishing a great site & community. I have been following your room with interest and thank you for your Shunyata recommendations. You were 100% right. I haven't had the Alexia's confirmed by the new distributor yet but I am hoping that will happen this week. I miss being the distributor for such a fantastic brand but have stayed close friends with them so its all been for the best. Its will be a dream to have Wilson's at home again. Trent is hopefully coming over soon & will be staying with me. He can check my setup skills ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing