Next Dac...go Lampi ?

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Hello,
I’d like to get a new Dac, never tried a tube model yet and very interested with the Lampizator models...
The thing is I’m on a budget now, and I’d like to spend no more than 4500€/$5000 for this one.
I had a PSaudio directstream jr and also a Mojo audio mystique v2 I have kept (not very know but very nice minimalist NOS Dac). Both are in the same league, and I’d like to get something really better than both.

What I’m mainly searching for : huge, immersive, 3D soundstage, full bodied + smooth highs (my system is all solid state, with a pair of very nice active monitors, very accurate but a bit on the « harsh side »)

My budget : 3-4500€, new or used, maybe a little bit more if it’s really worth it.

Dacs I’m interested with , but not yet heard :
- Denafrips Terminator (lots of hype...maybe justified ?)
- Mojo audio mystique v3 new model : NOS + I know I like really aesthetics of the brand (I have the v2) and I’ll get a trade-in if I buy a new Dac with them...
- Lampizator models, but I’ll only be able to get an Amber 2 (+ tube rectifier) or an Atlantic (base model SE). If used (welcome) I think I can find a nice Lite 7 or maybe even a big 7 (i can dream)...

What do you think would be the best bang for the bucks for me ? I’m really not in a hurry, as the Mojo audio I kept is very nice, and fits my needs for now. So I can wait à good used model if needed.
I only need usb input + rca output, nothing more.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Hello,
I’d like to get a new Dac, never tried a tube model yet and very interested with the Lampizator models...
The thing is I’m on a budget now, and I’d like to spend no more than 4500€/$5000 for this one.
I had a PSaudio directstream jr and also a Mojo audio mystique v2 I have kept (not very know but very nice minimalist NOS Dac). Both are in the same league, and I’d like to get something really better than both.

What I’m mainly searching for : huge, immersive, 3D soundstage, full bodied + smooth highs (my system is all solid state, with a pair of very nice active monitors, very accurate but a bit on the « harsh side »)

My budget : 3-4500€, new or used, maybe a little bit more if it’s really worth it.

Dacs I’m interested with , but not yet heard :
- Denafrips Terminator (lots of hype...maybe justified ?)
- Mojo audio mystique v3 new model : NOS + I know I like really aesthetics of the brand (I have the v2) and I’ll get a trade-in if I buy a new Dac with them...
- Lampizator models, but I’ll only be able to get an Amber 2 (+ tube rectifier) or an Atlantic (base model SE). If used (welcome) I think I can find a nice Lite 7 or maybe even a big 7 (i can dream)...

What do you think would be the best bang for the bucks for me ? I’m really not in a hurry, as the Mojo audio I kept is very nice, and fits my needs for now. So I can wait à good used model if needed.
I only need usb input + rca output, nothing more.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi, I have had the Denafrips Terminator at home and cannot recommend it. Initially an alluring sound, but after a while, and depending on the rest of the system, it will reveal a somewhat synthetic character.

Now I have a Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 (current production Yggdrasil), which is an incredible DAC. Very natural tone, very high resolution (separation of instruments, timbral micro-detail). It is so good that my DAC search is basically over. If after a few years I have money for a really expensive DAC I may try one, but I am in no hurry anymore.

However, the Yggdrasil is not a forgiving DAC. If you have problems elsewhere in the system (you say your sound is a bit on the harsh side) it may not work for you. A Lampi may fit better in your system.

Last edited:

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Thank Al, Two of my friends have an Yggdrasil. It’s really a nice Dac, but not better than my mojo audio, and not really the kind of sound I’m searching for (smooth with a very expansive soundstage)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
From what you state as your preference, I would look for a used Big 7 with your money. I would then perform a few mods (add Dueland silver bypass on output caps as cheap and change the amanero stock to the amanero reclocking boards with better clocks). All within budget.

Reactions: Zero000

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
It’s what I thought first...even if the « small » lampi models looks very attractive.

So I just have to put an alert on hifishark and wait for the good fish to catch :p

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Yucca
I know of a unicorn Lampi DAC that might easily be in your budget and is a real great piece of gear.
It started it's live as a "der Siebner", a "Super 7 light" with highest grade parts, aimed for the german speaking market.
I had this DAC at my place for a while and liked it for it's grown up sound but for me it lacked a little finesse. I told Lukasz that this DAC would be a big lot better with tube rectification and obviously Lukasz liked the idea because he took it along to Poland and "der Siebner" now has tube rectification and really now sounds a big LOT better than before.
We now call this unicorn DAC the "Silver Gate" :cool:
This DAC is now located in Geneva and I guess it should be feasible for you to try it in your system.
I'm pretty sure you will like it a LOT ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thank Al, Two of my friends have an Yggdrasil. It’s really a nice Dac, but not better than my mojo audio, and not really the kind of sound I’m searching for (smooth with a very expansive soundstage)

I cannot say anything about the Mojo, but in my system the Yggdrasil is an incredible performer on an absolute level, and it also gives a great soundstage. But I agree, it does not deliver a 'smooth' sound, rather an incisive one -- the way I like it, and how it corresponds with my perception of unamplified live music from my preferred seats, rather close up.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Look up the Aqua La Voce S3. Fits your "smooth with very expansive soundstage" criteria perfectly. No tubes, though.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
From what you state as your preference, I would look for a used Big 7 with your money. I would then perform a few mods (add Dueland silver bypass on output caps as cheap and change the amanero stock to the amanero reclocking boards with better clocks). All within budget.

Yup. I am of the opinion the original Amanero board does not sound good, so that could be worth doing.

I might do it.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Hi Yucca
I know of a unicorn Lampi DAC that might easily be in your budget and is a real great piece of gear.
It started it's live as a "der Siebner", a "Super 7 light" with highest grade parts, aimed for the german speaking market.
I had this DAC at my place for a while and liked it for it's grown up sound but for me it lacked a little finesse. I told Lukasz that this DAC would be a big lot better with tube rectification and obviously Lukasz liked the idea because he took it along to Poland and "der Siebner" now has tube rectification and really now sounds a big LOT better than before.
We now call this unicorn DAC the "Silver Gate" :cool:
This DAC is now located in Geneva and I guess it should be feasible for you to try it in your system.
I'm pretty sure you will like it a LOT ;)
Had that one at home and even without tube recti it made me fall in love with Lampi DACs - so yes fantastic option. If you don't want to play with tube rolling and want a brand new unit Amber 2 is just woooooow....

Reactions: christoph

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Look up the Aqua La Voce S3. Fits your "smooth with very expansive soundstage" criteria perfectly. No tubes, though.

Maybe...or also a used La Scala Optologic. I’m living near Italy, so I could try to hear these devices...

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
...so at the left :Amber 2 with tube rectifier, used 7, or the mysterious model from Chris :p
...and at right : aqua la voice+s3, or la Scala optologic

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
or the mysterious model from Chris :p
That mysterious model is now a proper tube rectified (IMHO a must with Lampi DACs) Big 7 with higher grade parts than the regular Big 7, hence the nick name "Silver Gate" in reference to the Golden Gate ;)

Reactions: Golum

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
That mysterious model is now a proper tube rectified (IMHO a must with Lampi DACs) Big 7 with higher grade parts than the regular Big 7, hence the nick name "Silver Gate" in reference to the Golden Gate ;)
So this "Silver Gate" dac sits just below the Gold Gate II in the Lamp hierarchy?

May we know its tentative selling price?

Thanks!

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
So this "Silver Gate" dac sits just below the Gold Gate II in the Lamp hierarchy?

May we know its tentative selling price?

Thanks!

This exact "Silver Gate" (that is just a nickname I gave this DAC) is not a regular model (and won't become one either), it is a unique specimen.

It is/was the Swiss Demo model of "der Siebner" but as "der Siebner" is now a discontinued model and therefore not needed anymore in this Iteration, I thought it would be nice to have tube rectification as in my experience with Lampi DACs, tube rectification sounds a lot better than SS rectification.
I talked to Lukasz about that and he liked the idea (and the result ;)) and added tube rectification to this exact specimen and indeed it sounds a LOT better than before.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

Where is this board? Was it a Lampi special?

Currently this seems to be it, which is what I have: Amanero board.

I actually use the optical interface. I hate to say it but it obviously sounds better than USB in my machine. It shouldn't in my mind but it does.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Where is this board? Was it a Lampi special?

Currently this seems to be it, which is what I have: Amanero board.

I actually use the optical interface. I hate to say it but it obviously sounds better than USB in my machine. It shouldn't in my mind but it does.

Yes because your USB comes from a laptop that is non optimized with non optimized software. It might still sound better after optimization but that will be a different trial

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I'd suggest adding the Modwright Elyse dac to your audition list. 6 moons did a review comparing the Elyse to the reviewer's reference Lampizator GG balanced dac & said the Elyse gave it a good run for it's money.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I'd suggest adding the Modwright Elyse dac to your audition list. 6 moons did a review comparing the Elyse to the reviewer's reference Lampizator GG balanced dac & said the Elyse gave it a good run for it's money.

The Elyse sounds great (I used to own one) but it doesn’t do DSD so that should be considered if it is needed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing