Nightlord's setups

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I have two current setups, one livingroom 2-channel and a small tv-room theater setup and am building a five seat larger scale theater.

The speaker brand of choice is almost completely Ino Audio (which is a brand you can only buy new in Stockholm, Sweden - but the sister brand Guru Audio is available in some other countries)

Let's start with the livingroom one:

...note, I don't believe in putting make-up on my photos by cleaning and moving things around to make a pretty picture. The TV looks bad due to kids fingerprints, which you hardly see without the flash. It's a room that is used for kids playing with toys, video games and watching movies as well as listening to music, and then it looks like this...

Music sources:
Sonos via Benchmark DAC 1
Pioneer DV-668AV

Preamp:
In the picture it's a Sentec SC-9, currently there's a Krell Showcase instead.

Active bass module crossover:
Ino Audio cr80s (signature) with added Infrasonic boost plug-in module

Main speaker power amp:
NAD 208 THX

Bass module power amps:
2x NAD 218 THX

Main speakers:
Ino Audio pi60s-s ( Signature - Stone )

Bass modules:
8x LTS B1 made in 1" MDF. Closed cabinets 117 litres each using NHT 1259

For experimental purposes, I've also got a Carver Sonic Hologram Generator hooked on a tape loop to be switched in if wanted. Bought it just for fun to try, it actually worked better than anticipated.

TV-room:

Front speakers (green) Ino Audio piP
Center channel (white) Ino Audio iP (same elements as piP, closed smaller cabinet)
Bass module (purple) Ino Audio profundus-X (one out of four)

Surround (ambience) speakers: 8x Ino Audio a2
One bass module hinted behind the corner same as one surround. There's actually two bass modules stacked there now.

Rear corner bass module

TV:
Pioneer 5090 Kuro

BluRay:
Currently a cheap Philips, Pioneer broken

DVD:
Pioneer DV-668AV

Receiver:
Pioneer LX-73

Amp for bass modules:
Denon POA-2800

Home theater:

...Under construction...

Will feature:

BluRay:
Unknown

DVD:
Pioneer DV-668-AV (Yes, I do have three of those!)

CD-Player:
Pioneer PD-S06

Reciever:
Denon 2807 (to be upgraded at later time), the Krell Showcase is a possibility too.

Active bass module crossover:
Ino Audio cr80es (signature extreme) with added Infrasonic boost plug-in module

Main speaker and center speaker amps:
Rotel 1090:s

Bass module amp:
NAD 208

Front and surround speaker amp:
Marantz MM9000

Front speakers:
Ino Audio i32s

Center speaker:
Ino Audio i16s (2-way with same boomer as the 2½way i32s has two)

Surround speakers:
Ino Audio a2 (x8)
+ experiment with ceiling surround channel using Ino Audio a1 (x4)

Bass modules:
Ino Audio infraY-6

For future upgrade to 11.x

Front high:
Carlsson Ortho-acoustic OA-51 upgraded to OA-51 Larsen Edition

Front wide:
Carlsson Ortho-acoustic OA-52.2

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I like to see a double blind test showing the efficacy of the rubber duckies. Otherwise I am going to demand that you remove them! :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Precisely! It's a pun invented on a Swedish forum.

Then my wife thought I should collect them... as all on her side of the family has some figurine to collect, her's are angels, her mother's Santas, one brother has snowmen etc. Don't mind it at all, the little fellows are cute.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Nightlord, you seem to have a fair collection of movies and music.

I also noticed eight (8) surround speakers! Now, that's a Cinema Theater venue! :b

Last edited:

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
-- Nightlord, you seem to have a fair collection of movies and music.

I also noticed eight (8) surround speakers! Now, that's a Cinema Theater venue! :b

We do. About half of the movies are kids' ones 'though'.

Yes, and it will be the same surround setup for the big cinema. 3 each for surround left/right, 1 each for the surround backs. Speakers are built for this purpose - given an impedance of 16 ohms - they're still an easy load with three in parallell. :) They're also made so the sound drops off when you move closer/more below one, so the closest one does not dominate if you sit off-center.

Portugal

Jan 13, 2013
Thank you for posting your pictures. It shows that a dedicated listening rom is not mandatory in his hobby and that one can enjoy HiFi in a regular family home.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Thank you for posting your pictures. It shows that a dedicated listening rom is not mandatory in his hobby and that one can enjoy HiFi in a regular family home.

Right. I have my hifi, my wife has her scrapbooking corner. I might not get to play any time I like due to kids playing games or watching a movie, but that's the give and take a marriage is about.

Now we're getting ourselves a dedicated movie room as well, but it's my experience that it's in general more appreciated by the ladies with a cinema than a music room - movies seem to appeal more to women than focused music listening. I'll probably use it for music listening too if the livingroom is occupied.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
While not doing much other than continuing on the diffusor part of the machinist wall and mentally planning the major teardown/rebuild, I've spent some time doing digital modelling that might come in handy to try out different ideas later on.
Here's a view from the screen and backwards of theater v.1.0.

Some spotlights and all the sidewall diffusors are missing, but still something to show:

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Thanks! Now do keep in mind it's a rendering and things never get to be that perfect. It's just to give an idea. It's not the correct recliner even, it's a general model. Speakers look much better IRL thought.

Haven't decided on my next move yet. Guess saving money and waiting for spring is the best choice. I need the soft feet so I'll order them while they still honor the discount wedecided on... It's 70 feet in total, I doubt they sell that many at once very often...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Classy looks so far. :cool:

* I'm not big on red (carpet) personally. ...Navy Blue would be more like it, or some' like that, for me anyhow. ...I know I know, those are only the preliminaries.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Well, the red carpet is my wife's choice. She would have wanted red chairs too, but the model we got did not exist in red. Cinema is red carpet for her, so I'm respecting that. My own choice would have been black.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well, the red carpet is my wife's choice. She would have wanted red chairs too, but the model we got did not exist in red. Cinema is red carpet for her, so I'm respecting that. My own choice would have been black.

The red carpet is usually the one outside, before you enter the main Theater venue. :D

...You know, Oscars' night in Hollywood.

* It's fine, I was only 'flirting' with the floor. ...I would respect my wife's choice too,
because after all it is her Cinema home theater too, and she has to be happy in it. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing