No Music with No Power

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Yesterday 300,000 people had experienced power outage in Northwest of Washington State due to severe winter storm.

I was one of them to have outage of 15 hours from 11AM to 2AM on this morning.

4 years ago, I had experienced 60 hours power outage.

Thus I had bought gas power generator just in case.

But it is heavy (around 50kg, 110lb) and got stuck in storage.

So I did not use it yesterday.

But if power outage had extended to daytime of today, I would have used it.

I had been back to my home in Washington State on 18th Tuesday.

After being back to US, I had 150 new CDs delivered from Oldies.com including some soundtrack.

050087314743.jpg

Also I have new digital cable ready and 300B tube to play with.

Just after playing music for 12 hours, I experienced sudden power outage with severe winter storm similar to "Frozen".

After checking the situation that more than half or people in my county is going through power outage, I was expecting for the worst case.

Fortunately, it ended after just 15 hours.

Now I am just happy to enjoy music without paying much attention to sound.

During 18 day's stay in Korea, I had gone through lot of things including vintage Western horns, first audition of Total Dac and MSB Select Dac.

But after being back to my home, I can enjoy music without paying too much attention to sound.

It will be nice if I can get vintage Western Big horn system which has very natural dynamics and soundstage.

But I can happily live with my current system of Lansche 4.1 speaker driven by Line Magnetic 508 SET amp for the time being..

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thomas,
Ice-age tip #01... break out emergency power generator, power up LM508IA and defrost the valley...

I love what this humble (but hardly lightweight) amp can do even in its stock state. I am looking forward to hearing about the 300Bs that you are rolling into it now that you have power back. Ice breaking jokes aside it’s much less of a space heater than any large valve PSE versions of SET so for me in these Antipodean climes it’s an ideal balance on power with SET refinement that can be used throughout the year.

I am also waiting on thoughts from others on the Acme 805 or whether to go Cossers with more budget going into the 300Bs.

I do believe the stock 805s in the LM508IA certainly aren’t the quietest of their kind so will at least go up to Cosser 805s short term until the Acmes establish reliability. Your thoughts on this if possible and what you are running into your amp. Also are you running a preamp into pre in or using it as an integrated. I’ve found a separate pre turns the amp into a beguiling proposition both for quality and value.

I am so completely happy with the LM... so naturally being an audiophile will spend some time now mucking around with it’s sound lol.

Though it must be said living happily with the way it plays the music seems to be a reasonably familiar trait with people who have the LM508IA.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Thomas,
Ice-age tip #01... break out emergency power generator, power up LM508IA and defrost the valley...

I love what that humble amp can do even in its stock state. I am looking forward to hearing about the 300Bs that you are rolling into it now you have power back. It’s much less of a space heater than any PSE versions of large SET so for me in the Antipodean climes it’s a great balance on power with SET refinement that can be used throughout the year.

I am also waiting on thoughts from others on the Acme 805 or whether to go Cossers with more budget going into the 300Bs.

I do believe the stock 805s in the LM508IA certainly aren’t the quietest of their kind so will at least go up to Cosser 805s short term until the Acmes establish reliability. Your thoughts on this if possible and what you are running into your amp. Also are you running a preamp into pre in or using it as an integrated. I’ve found a separate pre turns the amp into a beguiling proposition for value and quality.

I am so happy with the LM... so being a natural audiophile I will spend some time now to muck around with it’s sound lol.

Though it must be said living happily with the music and sound seems to be a reasonably familiar trait with people who have the LM508IA.
I do not use Pre amp since I like transparency.

If you have one more unit and cable, it tend to hurt transparency.

Cossor 805 will be enough for most purpose which is a league above stock tube.

I will receive Acme on Monday( fast shipping only 4 days from Hong Kong).

I will let other people know the difference between Cossor and Acme by the end of next week.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Magic, enjoy the season, great time of year to roll some valves. Awesome Thomas.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing