Nordost or Transparent?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
which cables are you talking about ? That seems like sweeping statement. Who has compared Transparent's top of the line Opus with MIT's top of the line MA-X SHD in the same system ?

MIT Matrix 90 and Transparent REF XL speakers cables in my system only. Sorry for the gross generalization, Christian. I should have been more specific. I have heard the Opus with Wilson XLF and the MAX SHD with Magico Q7 in diferent systems but won't comment of the cables' respective sound.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
MIT Matrix 90 and Transparent REF XL speakers cables in my system only. Sorry for the gross generalization, Christian. I should have been more specific. I have heard the Opus with Wilson XLF and the MAX SHD with Magico Q7 in diferent systems but won't comment of the cables' respective sound.

What's best between the two ? There is definitive answer...it all depends on system balance and listener preferences as you know. Both are great cables.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From what I'm hearing with just the Valhalla2 SCs in place, I'm considering asking my dealer to get 4 Odin ICs and a pair of SC for audition. The system is sounding too good not to consider it.

Has anyone had experience with both Valhalla 2 and Odin to give a feel for the performance delta?

At any rate, my repaired MIT SC is due back from the factory tomorrow. I'll give them a week and decide at that time whether to proceed or not.

you've GOT to update us on that one! I can only imagine what that shoot out will be like.

I'm excited just having found another 2nd hand Transparent RefMM (MM2) Interconnect (nicely calibrated already for virtually same as my current setup)...and hope to have it next week. That would complete all ICs as TA RefMM (MM2)...and then I will sit back and wait for the right length Opus MM2 speaker cable to come along demo/second hand...

...good luck with the shoot out and do post!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
you've GOT to update us on that one! I can only imagine what that shoot out will be like.

I'm excited just having found another 2nd hand Transparent RefMM (MM2) Interconnect (nicely calibrated already for virtually same as my current setup)...and hope to have it next week. That would complete all ICs as TA RefMM (MM2)...and then I will sit back and wait for the right length Opus MM2 speaker cable to come along demo/second hand...

...good luck with the shoot out and do post!

Nice !! Can't wait to hear what you think...getting all your up IC's to the same transparent level usually yields a 1+1=3 sound...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice !! Can't wait to hear what you think...getting all your up IC's to the same transparent level usually yields a 1+1=3 sound...

Thanks! Fingers crossed it all goes thru, and then will post.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I noticed the listings on Agon but I'm not going in that direction and making that kind of commitment without hearing a complete setup in my system first. I'm hoping to get my MIT SC back tomorrow and have it blow me away. I really haven't heard it with the Xs preamp in place. There's been something wrong with it for a considerable period. Thanks for the feedback.

Frank, how is the MIT SC sounding in the system and have you had a chance to compare it to the Nordost Odin?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank, how is the MIT SC sounding in the system and have you had a chance to compare it to the Nordost Odin?

Peter, I had Valhalla 2 on hand and was going to ask for Odin demos depending upon the successful repair of my MIT speaker cable. It only took an hour with the MIT back in the system, it was no contest. The Valhalla 2 sounds excellent but doesn't measure up sound wise to the Oracle MA-X SHD and that is considering every criteria you would have for selecting cables. My dealer came over last night to pick up his Valhallas and sat here with his mouth wide open shaking his head as he listened to a couple of cuts from Tea For The Tillerman. I am happier than I have ever been with the music I am hearing. Only change I foresee coming is the Xs Phono for the XP25 when it comes out later this year. That may be it for a very long time.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, I had Valhalla 2 on hand and was going to ask for Odin demos depending upon the successful repair of my MIT speaker cable. It only took an hour with the MIT back in the system, it was no contest. The Valhalla 2 sounds excellent but doesn't measure up sound wise to the Oracle MA-X SHD and that is considering every criteria you would have for selecting cables. My dealer came over last night to pick up his Valhallas and sat here with his mouth wide open shaking his head as he listened to a couple of cuts from Tea For The Tillerman. I am happier than I have ever been with the music I am hearing. Only change I foresee coming is the Xs Phono for the XP25 when it comes out later this year. That may be it for a very long time.

Great news! It's nice to read that the MITs sound fantastic. I had too brief an audition with some MIT Matrix 90 speaker cables and I think they reacted poorly with the rest of the Harmonic Technology cables in my system. Unfortunately, the local dealer could not supply a full suite of cables for trial, so my impressions ended negatively. Perhaps I will give MIT another try at some point.

The XS Pre must be great and I know you are looking forward to the XS Phono.

Reactions: stsxerses

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Frank,

Good news - as MIT is not distributed locally I have no experience with them. As they say, there are no in miracles in high-end, or in other formulation, all magic comes at a price! ;) Do you also have all the ICs from MIT MA-X SHD series?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank,

Good news - as MIT is not distributed locally I have no experience with them. As they say, there are no in miracles in high-end, or in other formulation, all magic comes at a price! ;) Do you also have all the ICs from MIT MA-X SHD series?

Yes I do Francisco, all SHD. The Sonus Fabers are really singing now.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Great news! It's nice to read that the MITs sound fantastic. I had too brief an audition with some MIT Matrix 90 speaker cables and I think they reacted poorly with the rest of the Harmonic Technology cables in my system. Unfortunately, the local dealer could not supply a full suite of cables for trial, so my impressions ended negatively. Perhaps I will give MIT another try at some point.

The XS Pre must be great and I know you are looking forward to the XS Phono.

Peter, I couldn't believe the level of improvement in the Xs pre over the XP30, mostly because the XP30 is so darn good.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Peter, I couldn't believe the level of improvement in the Xs pre over the XP30, mostly because the XP30 is so darn good.

I guess there's a good chance we might see a trickle down version of the Xs pre at some point - much the same as the .8 series of amplifiers?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I guess there's a good chance we might see a trickle down version of the Xs pre at some point - much the same as the .8 series of amplifiers?
I guess but at what price point? XP30 is $16,500 and the Xs is $38,000, maybe $25 or $26k? Not sure that makes sense. Maybe upgrade the XP30 and charge a little more.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I guess but at what price point? XP30 is $16,500 and the Xs is $38,000, maybe $25 or $26k? Not sure that makes sense. Maybe upgrade the XP30 and charge a little more.

Well the XA160.5s are $22k while the XA160.8s are $26k. Based on that I could foresee an XP-35 for something like $20k.

skytop

Feb 6, 2017
Well, I've tried this week a pair of TA Super in my system and they just didn't work, the sound became muffled and not clear and detailed as before (with tellurium q black), it was like someone put a curtain between me and the sound.
All the chain was TA, from the power cables (premium powerlink) to rca and xlr Super.
So, it's not only a question of "all the cables from the same brand" issue.
Later on i will try the Ultra mm2 to see if they mate well.
If you have the chance to listen to them before purchase I advised you to do so.
You found Supers to sound muffled, not clear, and not deatiled? Are you talking about your automobile muffler or a piece of wire? Your post is specious at best.

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
You found Supers to sound muffled, not clear, and not deatiled? Are you talking about your automobile muffler or a piece of wire? Your post is specious at best.

WE don't tolerate language of this nature here at WBF. It has been deleted and you have been warned. Hopefully you see the light as the next time it'll be a small vacation from WBF

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing