Nordost Valhalla 2 and Furutech NFC

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
I will soon receive a complete set of Nordos Valhalla 2 cables (Ethernet, USB, InterConect, Speakers and Power cables).

My wall sockets are Furutech FP-SWS-D (G).

I am thinking of replacing them with Furutech FT-SWS-D NCF(R).

I also have Furutech NCF Boosters.

I came across a review that explained that Nordost Valhalla 2 cables, especially power cables, do not mix well with Furutech NFC technology.

What do you think about it? What is your experience?

Which plug should you keep?
The simple one or the NFC version?

Thanks for your comments/help.

Thomas

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
been years since i owned Nordost cables, but i have Furutech NCF everywhere in my system and really like it. i view it as open, vivid and energetic. neutral tonally. but natural and not colored to my ears.

as Nordost tends to be the same type 'flavor', i'd say it depends on your signal path and room.

if you are using all digital, solid state pre and amps, dynamic speakers, and have a 'live' room it might be too much of a good thing. but there are so many variations it's hard to know. it would come down to your sonic taste and preference. but it's legit to consider the idea that Nordost and NCF could be over the top in one direction for ideal natural musical presentation balance.

personally i went from the non NCF outlets to the NCF-R and preferred them in my system. not sure those exact one's as it was 3-4 years ago now.

Last edited:
Reactions: SwissTom

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
been years since i owned Nordost cables, but i have Furutech NCF everywhere in my system and really like it. i view it as open, vivid and energetic. natural and not colored.

as Nordost tends to be the same type 'flavor', i'd say it depends on your signal path and room.

if you are using all digital, solid state pre and amps, dynamic speakers, and have a 'live' room it might be too much of a good thing. but there are so many variations it's hard to know. it would come down to your sonic taste and preference. but it's legit to consider the idea that Nordost and NCF could be over the top in one direction for ideal natural musical presentation balance.

Hello Mike,

I'm changing everything.

From a Naim 500 DR + Magico S3 MkII

To Taiko Extreme (your advice btw) + Soulution 760/711 + Magico M2 + Nordost Valhalla 2 (all cables).

The room is highly treated, the exact opposite of live but with a controlled decay time.

I read a review that conclude that the NFC Booster raisers tend to "damp" the V2.

Don't know what to think about it.

Just don't want to do the job twice.

I already both outlets.

Before :
NAIM_MAGICO_2.jpeg

Now, in transition :

Vovox_Textura_Fortis_Power_1.JPG

All cables here are Vovox Textura Fortis.

The power cable on the floor are unique prototypes made for me : Textura Fortis power cables (probably the only ones).

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
what the 'booster' does is a mechanical effect on the Nordost cable. it's not really a tonal issue per se. the Valhalla v2 cable is not one that needs the mechanical grounding like many cables with different geometry. many spendy power cables are very heavy and tend to loosen the A/C power plug connection; the booster steadies and solidifies the connection. it tends to over-dampen the Val v2 power cable which is better by itself.

this is a separate issue from the tonal compatibility of Valhalla v2 and NCF.

your room btw, is elegant and beautiful. congrats. and Soulution electronics should be plenty full bodied to be natural with that combo.

enjoy your system!

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I will soon receive a complete set of Nordos Valhalla 2 cables (Ethernet, USB, InterConect, Speakers and Power cables).

I came across a review that explained that Nordost Valhalla 2 cables, especially power cables, do not mix well with Furutech NFC technology.

Thomas
If you already have the plugs in place, try it like this and see how you like it.

Generally, it is a good idea to match the connectors with the plugs - ie if you have furutech rhodium, it makes sense to have furtech rhodium wall outlets . I checked and it seems Nordost is using gold plated.

I am using the furutech rhodium wall outlets with siltech cables which had wattgate gold plated. I replaced the plugs with Furutech Rhodium and after break in, I find it nice. It is not clinical, however the cost vs benefit is debatable.
Btw, it also depends what inwall cable you have and if you have a dedicated line or not. I am using Oyaide in wall cable and it is a very smooth sounding cable.

Keep in mind Rhodium takes forever to break in. Give it at least 30 days.
You could possibly ask Nordost for their experience and recommendation.

Very nice room and very nice setup.

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

Thomas
Nordost cables and Furutech Rhodium AC plugs - NCF or not, cannot help but sound clinical, all the more so with no tubes in the chain. If you must use Nordost cables consider keeping your gold plated wall plugs or replacing them with a higher quality gold plated version like the new ETI Legato. You could add NCF Flux 50 NCF(G) and/or LessLoss Entropic 640X noise filters, both of which are more powerful than NCF in the wall plug. Note that Nordost swithced to gold plating on the Valhalla 2 power cable AC connectors in order to increase warmth and move away from the cool, clinical sound they've always had a reputation for.

Last edited:
Reactions: hongkongfoufou

zitas

Dec 19, 2021
Nordost cables and Furutech Rhodium AC plugs - NCF or not, cannot help but sound clinical, all the more so with no tubes in the chain. If you must use Nordost cables consider keeping your gold plated wall plugs or replacing them with a higher quality gold plated version like the new ETI Legato. You could add NCF Flux 50 NCF(G) and/or LessLoss Entropic 640X noise filters, both of which are more powerful than NCF in the wall plug. Note that Nordost swithced to gold plating on the Valhalla 2 power cable AC connectors in order to increase warmth and move away from the cool, clinical sound they've always had a reputation for.
sounds as you are spreading 3rd party nonsense.

i use the rhodium wall socket and upgraded the nordost odin powercords with the furutech rhodium plugs. sounds open and buttersmoth.
then again, i dont know about the synergy between nordost and magico.

zitas

Dec 19, 2021
Hello Mike,

I'm changing everything.

To Taiko Extreme (your advice btw) + Soulution 760/711 + Magico M2 + Nordost Valhalla 2 (all cables).

The room is highly treated, the exact opposite of live but with a controlled decay time.

I read a review that conclude that the NFC Booster raisers tend to "damp" the V2.

I already both outlets.

Before :
View attachment 89244

Now, in transition :

View attachment 89245

The power cable on the floor are unique prototypes made for me : Textura Fortis power cables (probably the only ones).
how do you like the switch from naim to soulution?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

i use the rhodium wall socket and upgraded the nordost odin powercords with the furutech rhodium plugs. sounds open and buttersmoth.
You’ve lost me. “3rd party”? What does that mean?

"....buttersmoth" (I assume you mean buttersmooth) by the way is not a term that describes the musicality of a power cord. Nordost cables are known for emphasizing the leading edge of musical notes and having a "cool" sonic signature, which is why many audiophiles (yours truly included) do not like Nordost cables. Rhodium platting is also disliked by some audiophiles because it too has a characteristic cool, clinical sonic signature (I have banished all Rhodium plated connectors from my system). With an all solid state system and resolution focused speakers like Magico I would use gold plated connectors only and test some more musical cables (e.g., Echole, Espirit, Hemingway, etc.). Failing that I would add Furutech Flux 50 NCF (G) and/or Lessloss Firewall 640X Entropic filters to temper the Nordost/Rhodium sonic signature.

Note that Mike Lavigne made similar albeit more subtle comments above:

".....if you are using all digital, solid state pre and amps, dynamic speakers, and have a 'live' room it might be too much of a good thing. but there are so many variations it's hard to know. it would come down to your sonic taste and preference. but it's legit to consider the idea that Nordost and NCF could be over the top in one direction for ideal natural musical presentation balance....."

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

Thomas
FYI: If you want the NCF filtering use this instead of the Rhodium NCF AC receptacles:

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
how do you like the switch from naim to soulution?
While the Naim 500 DR series is a fantastic system, the 760/711 is unquestionably better. It outperforms the Naim system in all departments. It is an outstanding "little" two boxes system.

Well, not really two boxes. Unfortunately, the Soulution 760 DAC isn't Roon Ready, hence the purchase of the Taiko Extreme.

But if one uses a UPnP server, like Audirvana, as ones main music server, then I believe the 760/711 is the best two boxes system money can buy.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020

I use furutech rhodium wall plates + connectors on siltech cables and magico speakers and have no issues.
I've never heard nordost cables but I believe both siltech and nordost use silver.
Every time I experienced harshness it was due to break in or poor DC power supplies in the chain.

Reactions: zitas

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
I have two of each outlet.

2 x Furutech FP-SWS-D (G)
and
2 x Furutech FT-SWS-D NCF(R)

I have two dedicated lines.

I'll put one of each per dedicated line.

That's 4 sockets per dedicated line.

I'll star wire the 4 outlets per line, which I believe is best, right?

As for the in wall cabling, I have something thick but nothing fancy: standard 16A cabling.

I'll probably change what I have and use Neotech cable the 30A type SOCP-12. What do you think?

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020

and

As for the in wall cabling, I have something thick but nothing fancy: standard 16A cabling.

I'll probably change what I have and use Neotech cable the 30A type SOCP-12. What do you think?
I'd go higher in diameter. You need at least 2.5mm2. And there is no shielding.

I'm using these, they're specifically designed for in wall.
They're very stiff to work with, keep this in mind and take forever to burn in, but I find them smooth, balanced and dynamic.
Someone else on this forum installed them and is happy with them as well.

I also use these between the sub panel and the main panel.

They're also designed for house cabling, but since it's a single conductor you'd need 3x.

I believe Gigawatt also has specifically designed cables for in wall.

An interesting read

I did also use the silver paste after I had done the installation and it did bring an improvement.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

and

JPS Labs and Audience make cables specifically for in-wall use. I used the JPS Labs with good results:

Drpie

Feb 22, 2019
I have experience in the retermination of the first Valhalla and Odin. These cables sounded better with the Oyaide F1/M1, but not with the Furutech-50. I changed Furu to NCF and the result was not impressive. Although the bass beat is bigger with NCF, but they lack musicality and air.

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
Thank you all for your answers!

I will not be using the Furutech-50.
1646508298430.png
My request was only about using the two types of wall plugs sold by Furutech and the Nordost Valhalla 2 power cables.

1646508394367.png and 1646508425863.png

I have two of each.

I will have 3 dedicated lines.

What I will probably do is the following:

1646508819149.png
Each dedicated line will be connect to :

one Furutech FP-SWS-D (G)

and one Furutech FT-SWS-D NCF(R)

For each line I can choose one or the other power outlet.
This will allow me to test and choose what I prefer.

Now the question is which in wall cables to use between the wall socket and the circuit breaker.

I will use GigaWatt G-16A 2P circuit breakers they seem to be a good choice.

1646509084386.png

For the cables, @_Alchemist_ suggested using Oyaide in wall cables.

These cables are very well designed, but I wonder if they will fit in the tubes I have in the walls.

The other problem is that I will need about 40 meters. Given the price per metre, that's too much.

I just bought new : a Taiko, Soulution electronics, the whole Valhalla 2 set of cables and I'm redoing the acoustic treatment of my room, I'm reaching the spending limits...

I wonder if the In-Wall Cable GigaWatt LC-Y EVO 3X4 cable would do the trick.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of cable?

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
You also have the Oyaide F-S 2.0 V2 which is the same as the 2.6 but smaller diameter therefore cheaper, but I wouldn't go smaller than 2,5mm2.
The Oyaide are 14,5 mm and the Gigawatt 13,5 mm but the Oyaide are VERY stiff. Be careful also to plan well for the box because they don't bend.
I have to build a sort of box extension on the wall to make them fit.

I've heard good things about the Gigawatt, I like that the wire section is large.

It seems Elecaudio has released a new product for in wall cabling. It's quite cheap too.

Furutech also has this product for dedicated lines
I'm using it between the gigawatt breakers and the main panel but keep in mind it's a single conductor so you'll need 2 + a cheaper one for the ground.

You also have the Doepke differential breaker if you need one for your panel.

Reactions: SwissTom

zitas

Dec 19, 2021
i really wouldnt worry too much about the in-wall cable.
too much of a diameter is rather contra productive btw.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Hello Mike,

I'm changing everything.

I already both outlets.

Before :
View attachment 89244

Now, in transition :

View attachment 89245

Very nice setup.
If you have the possibilities, you can test TotalDac amplifier with your Magico. It's a fantastic synergy..
I am not the only one to think that.

Total Amp

From the High End Munich 2019...

2019-05-09_00002.jpg

2019-05-09_00001.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing