NORTH AMERICAN PUBLIC DEBUT OF TECHDAS AIR FORCE ZERO AND WILSON AUDIO MASTER CHRONOSONIC/SUBSONIC

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You could only have an estimation, hear how promising it is, and take adive. Anyone buying this tt should have a good Studer in the room too. At this level it should only be compare with tape imo. And you tune it until your choice in listening to Studer or AFzero only is determined by conveniency or available softwares you have.

kind regards,
Tang

having an in-room reference (and a familiar reference room) is always critical in weighing feedback for value. as you mention; i've always had my Studer as a constant reference point for sources. it sets the bar high. as is my vinyl and Studer for the digital. and i compare my new tapes to my vinyl. some very touted expensive tapes yield to my vinyl. truth triumphs. the reality has no place to hide.

in the absence of references we are somewhat flapping in the wind, licking our fingers to see which way it's blowing, flowing along with the vibe of the room and our expectations. like at a show it's a data point. if i go to multiple shows, and hear something multiple times relative to other multiple examples, now we start to build a more valuable reference. but it still falls short of an in-room constant.

top flight turntables all can sound awesome, and elicit strong emotional pulls. a good thing, but should cause us to be cautious. we can observe how subtle the differences Tang hears between his turntables and arms and the time he has to spend getting a handle on those differences. if you were to pull any one single tt out of that room it would likely sound great in a demo room, and depending on the pressing (and even the presenter, and the gravity of the event) would be perceived as wonderful.

i wonder if we will see an AF1P and AF0 in the same demo system?

my guess is when it happens it will be far under the radar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango and Lagonda

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
i wonder if we will see an AF1P and AF0 in the same demo system?

my guess is when it happens it will be far under the radar.

Not sure I agree

The two people I know (one with a firm order and the other a possibility to order) both have AF1’s

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
well, when we get feedback on the differences then we will have that. none yet.;)

Even then it is from someone who owns both who is therefore highly biased and will doubtless say the AF0 is far superior.

Reactions: bonzo75

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
You could only have an estimation, hear how promising it is, and take adive. Anyone buying this tt should have a good Studer in the room too. At this level it should only be compare with tape imo. And you tune it until your choice in listening to Studer or AFzero only is determined by conveniency or available softwares you have.

kind regards,
Tang
...a good Studer is one thing; the new ATAE Model 2, well, that’s a great thing :)

Cheers!
ALF

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Even then it is from someone who owns both who is therefore highly biased and will doubtless say the AF0 is far superior.

Of course but don’t you think that someone who owns both could give real impressions. They will come. As far as none.now the AF0 is on a world tour by itself. I’m confident all the comparisons will come even between the AF0 and the AS2000. Be patient Mike and Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Of course but don’t you think that someone who owns both could give real impressions. They will come. As far as none.now the AF0 is on a world tour by itself. I’m confident all the comparisons will come even between the AF0 and the AS2000. Be patient Mike and Bill

Yes sure I can imagine folks who own both giving impressions although I personally doubt they won’t be biased towards the more expensive purchase - it is natural and I am sure I would be the same lol. Would be stupid to say otherwise (publicly).

Anyway. Would be good if someone on wbf got one :p!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Steve
Steve, I'm sure you're forgetting to mention Vyger in this company is a simple oversight by you.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

I think you have this backwards.

We are the ones asking for patience, and not blind acceptance of staged demo feedback.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Sincerely, do you have any doubt that the AF0 is far superior? :oops:

Reactions: Steve Williams

Vienna

VIP/Donor

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Sincerely, do you have any doubt that the AF0 is far superior? :oops:

i recall visiting ddk with the EMT, AS-1000 and AF1 sitting there all with the same arm (different carts).....into the same phono stage (similar to Tang).

will the AFO be closer to the AS-1000 or the AF1?

we don't yet know.

Reactions: KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Vienna

VIP/Donor
You must be joking
I had compared in the past AF3 with a turntable of 7,000 euro and the cheaper one was superior

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You must be joking
I had compared in the past AF3 with a turntable of 7,000 euro and the cheaper one was superior

I was indeed joking

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I was indeed joking

I will be next week in Italy on a business trip and I have arranged to audition the Atlantis with KRIMON I phono

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How one can tell without a comparison first?

Credentials coupled with the available information (listening and technical) are enough for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing