Not a good year to buy Macbook

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
At least if you ever put anything on it you wouldn’t want to lose... or mind paying to replace it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
For many Mac users switching over to a Windows machine is it own kind of hell!

david

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The trick is to never own an Apple device in the first place. I never will. The amount of money my wife has spent on Apple is astounding, and like the video says, she keeps going back to the well.
Apple told her that her Mac Book Pro was non repairable. She found some one to fix it for less than 1/4 the cost of their suggestion.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
For many Mac users switching over to a Windows machine is it own kind of hell!

david

I agree. I find Windows 10 to be painfully stupid. I have a slightly older Macbook. It has two GPU's, and one is bad, requires logic board replacement... I probably won't do it (it still runs daily stuff fine, and yes this problem is 100% common, and their "mistake"). The OS doesn't drive me crazy like Win10. But I also have a Thinkpad I run Linux on, and it's the fastest, faster than a brand new computer relatively for day to day stuff. And linux is easier to use than either OS. The problem is compatibility. It's getting better but there's a few things still. If all you do is internet, and a little office work, Linux is perfect.The most difficult thing I've had to do was install some drivers for a Brothers printer, but there were lots of guides on the net. It's not like the past, either, where Linux required you to be techy. It has a download center for example, and all the drivers are installed on their own.

Anyways, it's funny because I've been wanting to go more Apple, just for the fact that it isn't Win10. I have an iPhone and like it, actually. (it also isn't one of the "bendgate" earlier models)

Although I've been looking at this laptop, because privacy is something to really think about.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I switched from Windows to Apple about eight years ago (Windows at work until I retired). My main reason for switching was Apple's OS10 - a huge step up - especially r.e. security and maintenance, I think largely due to OS10's closed architecture and minority market share (smaller target). The few tech glitches I had with my 15" laptop were promptly repaired by my independent tech at nominal cost. This machine lasted seven years before I replaced it with a 2018 13" model, so we'll see. To date, switching has been a great decision for me.

Reactions: Folsom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
That is the experience one should seek. But they are making it so it’s not even possible to repair them (video) or recover data.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I can manage the data recovery piece, but the hardware maintainability aspect is upsetting, especially at the premium prices Apple charges.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've used Apple products for 20+ years now. I can't stand the thought of using Windows or Android.
My new (few months old) MacBook fell, and got a small dent on the display. It was ugly, but it wasn't affecting the performance of the display much.
Still, I took it to Apple. I knew that, if they were to replace the whole display, it'd cost me $99 (as 1 out of 3 incidents I'm allowed to have). In 5 days, got my Mac back, screen replaced, and $0 bill. Thank you, Apple.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You must be near one of the better places. That's becoming really rare.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
No, it's not about being "near", as it was sent to a central repair facility, from the Apple Store where I've dropped the unit off, in SD, CA.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Ultimately its what you used too. I am Window/Android for life and when I get on anything Apple, to me its the stupidest $hit I have ever used. But in time if I switched, I probably would say the same about Windows.
Like I said before there is a line down the middle of our home and the wife and I just talk to each other from our perspective side.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing