Not much love for idlers??

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, any thoughts on SME buying Garard? Someone suggested a possible new idler design.
I read the same show report you did Peter it would be great it all comes together, who better than SME to build the next generation Garrard tables. The Loricraft 501 is a beautiful turntable and they seem to working with Lori.

Edit- One caveat, the sound of idlers is directly connected to the quality of the motor, would be interesting to see what they're going to come up with. They might use the Loricraft's one.

https://hometheaterreview.com/garrard-501-turntable-reviewed/

david

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm not paying $2k for a rusty piece of junk that I have to replace all the parts on.

Vermin

Nov 4, 2014
Norway
I have completely restored a 401, pretty much all out now with new bearing and 12kg brassplatter and copper mat. Artisan Fidelity idler wheel and Loricraft powersupply.
Sounds better than my TWAcustic Raven on rock music, but most of all, the pleasure of having put down so many hours and love really makes it a joy to have.

134B23DD-5C77-40A0-997D-CF828BAB0691.jpg 5FD03597-A254-4528-B65C-A66BBB54557A.jpg

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Simply Awesome. You touch on something few people mention, the pride of ownership of such a machine.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Vermin, nice work.
I’ve upgraded my rim/idler with bespoke psu, improved arm board, Stacore Advanced isolation platform, Symposium Acoustics Svelte isolation pad under rim drive pod, and am getting a sound that I’m in no hurry to swap (and that’s my opinion the day after I heard a contender for SOTA belt drive w air suspension, vacuum hold down, air arm).
I’m getting a very intimate yet pertinent presentation to my vinyl playback.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
101, the pride of ownership thing means a lot less to the restless gear swappers, and those who have no feel for brand loyalty.
I’ve met the designer of my rim/idler, and also the bespoke psu guy, indeed I’ve had a good relationship with both for 5-6 years.
Even bleeding edge belt drives at 4-5x the price of my humble choice don’t present a sufficiently compelling reason for me to move on.
That suits me just fine, more Moolah to spend on vinyl .

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Edit- One caveat, the sound of idlers is directly connected to the quality of the motor

David, how do you run your 927 motor: With the original RC phase splitter or from a dedicated 3 phase supply? If the latter, do you use the felt break?
Thanks,

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, how do you run your 927 motor: With the original RC phase splitter or from a dedicated 3 phase supply? If the latter, do you use the felt break?
Thanks,

I plug the turntable to an AC/frequency regenerator and can control the speed without the felt brake but prefer the sound with it. While theoretically you'd think that no drag should sound better you lose something in the sound without the brake.

david

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
That's what I suspected! Still to try my 930 with a freq controlled PSU but my exact suspicion has been that the constant felt drag biases the rotational movement thus regularizing it. The price is some added wide bandwidth noise but noise can also have a regularizing effect, masking singularities (well known thing in math/phys!)

A followup question if I may: Have you tried increased breaking? I mean increasing breaking to generate even more drag and compensating the speed loss with a higher PSU frequency.

Thanks,

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jarek, my rim/idler has had the biggest jump in its performance being installed on your Stacore Advanced.
So much so that it’s a different tt, esp in terms of bass control/articulation, allowing the mids to be totally smear-free, and topping off with a truly grainless treble.
I now consider the Stacore an integral part of the tt, not a simple optional tweak.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That's what I suspected! Still to try my 930 with a freq controlled PSU but my exact suspicion has been that the constant felt drag biases the rotational movement thus regularizing it. The price is some added wide bandwidth noise but noise can also have a regularizing effect, masking singularities (well known thing in math/phys!)

A followup question if I may: Have you tried increased breaking? I mean increasing breaking to generate even more drag and compensating the speed loss with a higher PSU frequency.

Thanks,
Just a little, no noticeable change in sound between 50-50.7hz, didn’t go past that.
david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just a little, no noticeable change in sound between 50-50.7hz, didn’t go past that.
david

Did you notice any similar sonic effects playing with air pressure in the AS2000?

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
david

Ok, thanks David! Hope to finish one day my own 3 phase power generator for my 930. All parts there, just the time...
Cheers,

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Jarek, my rim/idler has had the biggest jump in its performance being installed on your Stacore Advanced.
So much so that it’s a different tt, esp in terms of bass control/articulation, allowing the mids to be totally smear-free, and topping off with a truly grainless treble.
I now consider the Stacore an integral part of the tt, not a simple optional tweak.

Thank you very much Marc! Having learned how to deal with foundation vibrations, I'd like to learn how to deal with motor vibrations too.

What are the specs?

david

Good question, having made the design, haven't touched it in years. uC synthesized 3 phase sinus, low THD 3 channel DAC, two central freq 50Hz or 60Hz, IIRC +/- 5Hz with 0.01Hz steps. Linear amplifier (to avoid spreading RF pollution in the air but making it all bulky unfortunately), 3x60W should be easy.
Missing only 3phase stepup trafo...and time.

Wanted to post a pic but cannot.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You can make your own power supplies for turntables awfully easy. You can get an eBay sinewave generator, and feed some cheap amps. As long as you don't screw it up, the motors will never know you aren't using something fancy. Then you can just press buttons to adjust the frequency.

The reason this has become popular is because you get a perfect sinewave. With the AC from the wall it's far from even with current, and tend to drift here and there a bit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing