Not much love for idlers??

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you very much Marc! Having learned how to deal with foundation vibrations, I'd like to learn how to deal with motor vibrations too.

Good question, having made the design, having touched it in years. uC synthesized 3 phase sinus, low THD 3 channel DAC, two central freq 50Hz or 60Hz, IIRC +/- 5Hz with 0.01Hz steps. Linear amplifier (to avoid spreading RF pollution in the air but making it all bulky unfortunately), 3x60W should be easy.
Missing only 3phase stepup trafo...and time.

Wanted to post a pic but cannot.

Cheers,

Too complicated. I used the SpectraPlus generator with the USB EMU tracker sound card, added two active 120º phase shifters - a complicated name for one TL84 IC and a couple of capacitors and resistors and connected the whole thing to an old AV amplifier with discrete inputs and individual volume knobs! Started after lunch, was driving the Oracle III three phase motor long before dinner!

For the Studer I must add three 24AC power transformers reversing the usual primary and secondary connections. We even do not need equal transformers, although it is desirable - all that is needed is a voltmeter to adjust the amplitudes.

Remember we can get 5 channel AV receivers with damaged decoders for free at any repair shop!

Last edited:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
the best idler I've heard is the Saskia II, but it's not currently being built.

amazing turntable.

nothing but love from any who have heard it.

Saskia is still around. :)

I have had some health problems, and that is why I have been quiet, but I am still vertical. ;)

I noticed another thread about Saskia, which I will address when time permits.

And, thanks for your kind words, Mike. I really appreciate them.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl

I have had some health problems, and that is why I have been quiet, but I am still vertical. ;)

Great to see you back Win :)

We interacted some yrs ago on Lencoheaven, you thought me how to properly work with slate.

A BIG THANK YOU Win!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Win, I’m the guy who single handedly has done his best to keep Saskia visibility alive on this forum (well, name recognition at least).
Please keep contributing .

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Hi Win,
Very good to have you back, hope all is well now.
david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great to see you back Win :)

We interacted some yrs ago on Lencoheaven, you thought me how to properly work with slate.

A BIG THANK YOU Win!

Lencoheaven is still a reference forum on many related audio subjects - I remember I learned a lot about pneumatic platforms from you in a great thread about vibration decoupling platforms some years ago.

I am now looking for a forum on extra large turntable platters - I took this picture from a german one :
https://mysoundbook.eu and https://mysoundbook.eu/analog-forum-krefeld-2017-messenachlese/

I would love to have more details on this turntable project.

Attachments

• giamt_platter_turntable.jpg
    giamt_platter_turntable.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 103

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Lencoheaven is still a reference forum on many related audio subjects - I remember I learned a lot about pneumatic platforms from you in a great thread about vibration decoupling platforms some years ago.

I am now looking for a forum on extra large turntable platters - I took this picture from a german one :
https://mysoundbook.eu and https://mysoundbook.eu/analog-forum-krefeld-2017-messenachlese/

I would love to have more details on this turntable project.

This was, is? Rossner & Sohn MOTT. Back about 10-11 years there were two versions offered with oil or air bearing but not sure if it ever went into production.

david

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl

Now I feel embarassed, I thought nobody read that, thank you :)
Cheers,

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This was, is? Rossner & Sohn MOTT. Back about 10-11 years there were two versions offered with oil and air bearing but not sure if it ever went into production.

david

Thanks!

A good friend that visited the Munich show was really astonished by the number of german brands and models of turntables.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks!

A good friend that visited the Munich show was really astonished by the number of german brands and models of turntables.
Just take a look at Fremer's show report on youtube, quantity yes but quality? Hmmmm...:)!

david

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
Bazelio

Not much love for idlers?? As I've perused the WBF archives and discovered a wealth of information, one thing that has stuck out to me is that there seems not to be a lot of love for idlers here. Garrard, Thorens, Lenco... Bueler? Mainly I'm curious why this might be the case, what with the stability, PRaT, and imaging capabilities of well-restored idlers being hard to beat. Obviously, they're not the latest and greatest thing, aren't hyped/memed much in the press, etc. But if the love of music is paramount.... Anyhow, I'm interested in what others think, especially if there's a notable preference away from them. Thanks!

In my case, the truth is quite the opposite. After hearing a well executed idler drive based deck, such as my Garrard 301 Statement, anyone would immediately understand what the warranted fuss is all about as it's virtues are addicting. :D Even my previous Garrard 301 front end brought the musical goods, and was the initial door opener to my ears. Remain curious to explore a Lenco model at some point. Admittedly, I do admit continual adoration for other drive configurations as well in so long as they are exceedingly well engineered while remaining musical.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My 927 plays like humble Roger Federer. Very understatedly prominent but at the right timing just..wham! a big power beautiful one handed backhand right down the line. Very lethal with all the tricks without calling attention. That’s how my 927 is.

Tang :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
My 927 plays like humble Roger Federer. Very understatedly prominent but at the right timing just..wham! a big power beautiful one handed backhand right down the line. Very lethal with all the tricks without calling attention. That’s how my 927 is.

Very nice "analogy", dear Tang

I'm a big RF fan :cool:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Very nice "analogy", dear Tang

I'm a big RF fan :cool:

..And my Master Yoda ddk cannot even describe his 927 as well as I do dear Christoph :p.

Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey, those who’ve heard really well executed idlers (my Holy Grail found w current tt) find it REALLY hard to go back to most belt drives.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

So your 927 is the greatest of all time. Perfect Tang.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States

Tang

Legendary. The EMT 927, Tang, you are one of the few lucky owners of this world renowned, father of the idler drives if you will. Someday.....someday perhaps......:)

So your 927 is the greatest of all time. Perfect Tang. jeffrey_t

Indeed, and many others would likely agree sir!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing