notice to make D.I.Y RCA cable with VH Audio

cpasmoi

May 14, 2021
hello

I am thinking about the manufacture in D.I.Y of RCA Modulation cable with VH audio cable, I am a French audiophile and I have few feedbacks or opinions on comparisons of VH audio modulation cables, we mainly have Neotech , Gotham, the best known in D.I.Y

I hesitate between 2 cables and I would have had your opinion as a point of comparison which on this forum should not be missing

here are the 2 references that I retained

- UniCrystal™ OCC SILVER Wire w/ Cotton Insulation, and HyperFlex™ Tubing

- VH Audio Pulsar, Pulsar Cu II and Pulsar Ag

it will be connected between a
Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC and a Sugden A21 Signature Class A Amplifier

and also remains to define the choice of RCA sockets, I retained

- KLEI HARMONY ABSOLUTE Pure Silver RCA Connectors KL
- ETI SILVER LINK Pure Silver RCA Connector
- WBT-0152 Ag Nextgen Pure Silver RCA Connectors

thank you for your comeback​

cpasmoi

Attachments

• OCCC SILVER WIRE -COTTON INSULATION HAND HYPERLEX TUBING.JPG
    OCCC SILVER WIRE -COTTON INSULATION HAND HYPERLEX TUBING.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 8
  • VH AUDIO PULSAR II.JPG
    VH AUDIO PULSAR II.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 8

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
It depends upon your funds, but the Pulsar is a 75 ohm cable, it's for digital and video signals, so it's out of the running, IMO. Chris just came out with his new VH Audio V-Twist™ Cu24 Analog Signal Cable. I have been buying his capacitors for over a decade. I believe that he is relentless in his pursuit of quality sound. I actually have a pair of cables that I purchased from him, my first cable purchase from him, but due to my work schedule, I won't have a chance to listen to them until Sunday at the earliest, so my opinion is based on his past performance with capacitors for now. I would forger the Pulsar, buy the new V-Twist, and if I could afford the money and storage space, I'd get the silver cable too, and see which one I prefer. Yet if I were to be completely honest, I'd ask Chris. He's in business to provide us services, and he is relentless in his desire to please, in my experience. Let him know what you have, and what type of presentation you are looking for. Silver is said by many to be bright. I have not tinkered enough with it to know. One silver IC I did purchase sounded thin, I was not impressed, but Chris' wire may have completely different characteristics. I have pretty much settled on using copper, but I may be cheating myself. I didn't follow my own advice and consult Chris, I just ordered copper out of habit, now that I think about it I wish I had asked him! Anyway, he wants you to be happy, and to recommend him to others, so he's going to tell you his honest opinion, and hope that it makes you happy and that as a result, you'll tell others about your positive experience dealing with him. I'd use Eichman/EIT RCA connectors, they fit tighter than any others, but again, as Chris. I am pretty sure that he used those on the cables he made for me. I'm not sure that he has the new cables on his site yet, I had ordered the older style and he offered me the upgrade. I am sure that Chris will be quite helpful.

cpasmoi

May 14, 2021
Hello

thank you for your feedback

indeed chris had proposed me the Pulsar 2 Cu to realize the RCA cable because he had asked me if I needed a cable with a shield and it's maybe for that reason that he didn't propose me the VH Audio V-Twist™ Cu24 analog signal cable

I don't know where to turn

if I take the VH Audio V-Twist™ Cu24 analog signal cable as you recommend, it passes by the electrical connection, it would be better at this time that I put a shield around it

for the RCA plugs, Chris is of the same opinion ETI without concession

thank you for your feedback :)

Reactions: L3RD

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
if I take the VH Audio V-Twist™ Cu24 analog signal cable as you recommend, it passes by the electrical connection, it would be better at this time that I put a shield around it

Is the cable long? If so, you could be picking up some noise . If OTOH it's short (i.e. ±1m) I wouldn't worry too much. Additionally I would cross the mains & IC at right angles if possible.

Reactions: L3RD

cpasmoi

May 14, 2021
the RCA cable will only be 4 Feet or 1.20 M

and so which one would you recommend ?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
At 1.2m I would simply go with the occ wire / cotton insulation and good quality, solidly engineered, locking rca connectors. The KLEI and the WBT are nice but very expensive (I use wbt). Ultimately, the best choice is whatever you opt for ;)
Good luck!

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
BTW, audiophonics in france has some good prices on bulk wire -- just as an alternative to VdH

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
Hello

thank you for your feedback

indeed chris had proposed me the Pulsar 2 Cu to realize the RCA cable because he had asked me if I needed a cable with a shield and it's maybe for that reason that he didn't propose me the VH Audio V-Twist™ Cu24 analog signal cable

I don't know where to turn

I'm perhaps more aggressive than Chris. I'd buy copper RF-EMI shielding tape, wrap it around the interconnect wires, and ground it on one end, that should take care of the power issue, but ask Chris, he may have thought that too extreme to suggest, but it would probably be worth it if the wife doesn't knife you in your sleep, divorce you or something similar. Assuming you are willing to live with it. I'd do it, but that doesn't make it blend in any better!

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
and ETI ?
BTW, I wasn't suggesting that you buy from Digikey, I just wanted to be sure you knew what I was talking about regarding copper shielding.

ETI;

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022
@cpasmoi

I have now listened to the V-Twist IC. I doubt that the silver could sound better, unless Chris says that do, but these V-Twist ICs are awesome.

Lou

Reactions: trekpilot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing