Now We're Talking about Real Money

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
On our recent trip to London, we had the great opportunity to see and hear a private demonstration and recital at the famed violin and string store A and J Beare, which sits about a block behind Wigmore Hall. Beare has been around for a century or more and is now owned by two former violinists for the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. We (and about 8 others) first saw a demonstration of four violins by the British violinist Jennifer Pike. She then played a recital with two of the violins, seen in the attached photos.

The four violins were three Stradivarius and one Guarnari del Gesu. One of the Strads was from the golden era (about 1700 to 1720) of Stradivarius' production. You can seen Jennifer with her accompanist playing that violin. The del Gesu from around thirty years later is in the other photo of Jennifer alone. The four violins are worth about 40 Million GBP (about $50M USD), with the two in the photos worth about 75% of the total. One of the other violins belongs to the great violinist Ida Haendel who is now in her 90's and unable to play, so it is on the market. We actually heard Haendel play that violin about 12 years ago in a concert in London.

Since Jennifer played the same excerpts on each of the four violins in succession, I could test myself to see whether I could hear any differences. I did like the two most expensive instruments the best, but that also depends on the player and bow. The del Gesu was darker in tone than the golden age Strad. My credit cards were topped up, so I didn't buy any of them.

Larry

IMG_4023.JPG IMG_4026.JPG

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Too bad you couldn't buy any of them :) I wonder what the insurance on these works of art is. Great report and congrats on this life-time experience

Reactions: Steve Williams

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, I talked to the two owners of Beare's and one told me about the issue of loaning instruments to up and coming violinists. Normally, the contracts are for a period of one year, renewable upon mutual consent. There is no money involved, but insurance is required. Typically the violinist pays for the insurance (including damage and theft), but if the cost of insurance is prohibitive, there is some arrangement for the cost to be partly covered by the loaner or a third party. They do like the violinist to have responsibility for the cost of insurance. I didn't ask how much the insurance is.

For Strads for example, the current low end price for a Strad is around 5M, while the top is several times that. Del Gesus are typically a bit more. Lesser Cremonese violins of fine quality can be had for 1M to 4M or so. Compare to a top end piano like a Hamburg Steinway, Boesendorfer, Fazioli, a concert grand (around 9' length) is $200-$300K, while one that more easily fits in a home (around 7') is around 75% that price. Expensive, but within the reach of a high level professional performer. The best old violin bows can equal and sometimes exceed the price of a top piano.

Larry

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks, I talked to the two owners of Beare's and one told me about the issue of loaning instruments to up and coming violinists. Normally, the contracts are for a period of one year, renewable upon mutual consent. There is no money involved, but insurance is required. Typically the violinist pays for the insurance (including damage and theft), but if the cost of insurance is prohibitive, there is some arrangement for the cost to be partly covered by the loaner or a third party. They do like the violinist to have responsibility for the cost of insurance. I didn't ask how much the insurance is.

For Strads for example, the current low end price for a Strad is around 5M, while the top is several times that. Del Gesus are typically a bit more. Lesser Cremonese violins of fine quality can be had for 1M to 4M or so. Compare to a top end piano like a Hamburg Steinway, Boesendorfer, Fazioli, a concert grand (around 9' length) is $200-$300K, while one that more easily fits in a home (around 7') is around 75% that price. Expensive, but within the reach of a high level professional performer. The best old violin bows can equal and sometimes exceed the price of a top piano.

Larry
Yep, my ex did a concert series where she played the 24 Pagannini Caprices in a series of four concerts on a “on loan” Strad. This was 2004 or so and at that time the one she played was estimated at “only” 4M and the bow another 50k or more. We also had in the house at one time or another a Guarneri del Gesu, an Amati and a Guadinnini ...all valued at 1M or more. It was interesting just how different they all sounded...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing