Observations and Suggestions

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's a good insinuation. Vague, no naming names, and thus safe and cute. But no, Kedar, I made no calls or contacts to the administration complaining about the tenor of your posts. I have learned to tolerate them because of the wonderful recording recommendations you make. BTW, horns are not always the answer, and occasionally, Magico, or other sealed cone speakers are. It all depends. I can accept that and live in peace and harmony knowing that different speaker typologies can coexist on planet Earth, under the stars, in the clean air with the sounds and smells of nature all around, just like our good friend Bob on the northern island.

I will soon discover if a vintage tonearm and a contemporary one from the same company can equally coexist in the same system.

Sorry Peter, I did not have you in mind. No need to think I think that way just coz we had a debate. Happens on the forums all the time

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is not the point of being sarcastic, it is simply that it manages to keep all discussions at the level of the Speakers' Corner, besides excessively focusing the debate around just a few of us.

For example, the post bellow had a strong point worth debating that was immediately turned in oratory.

Interesting you mention oratory and speaker, as a Wilson owner, because Mark twain has a quote

"Wilson stopped and stood silent. Inattention dies a quick and sure death when a speaker does that"

Seriously. Of course, it has nothing to do with the speaker Wilson

http://www.telelib.com/authors/T/TwainMark/prose/puddnheadwilson/index.html

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well this will always be a problem..........
the state of feeling bored.
"the boredom of afternoon duty could be relieved by friendly conversation"

synonyms:weariness, ennui, lack of enthusiasm, lack of interest, lack of concern, apathy, uninterestedness, unconcern, languor, sluggishness, accidie, malaise, world-weariness; More

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think the forum has less and less quality discussion. I am not sure if owner or admin has the stats. I felt like the spirit of "whatsbest" has been slumped down to "letsjustrelaxandenjoythemusic"

Feel free to pro-actively address your own comment and commence an interesting thread for us to partipate in and enjoy! :)

Reactions: Hieukm

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hieukm, maybe I can take a stab at answering why this happened and why the forum thinks SETs is always the answer (as mentioned in the OP)

The Onion: Area Man Moves to SET Horns and listens to music

Actually, when I was initially searching, I was looking for SS amps for Apogees or SETs for horns. Then, I saw that the forum founder Steve, instead of looking at say, Dagostino for his big Wilsons, realized SETs was the answer.

Then I saw that despite me and others telling Ron he should use SS for his big Gryphons, for quite a while he thought SETs was the answer. In fact, he started many threads asking questions about NATs, Mastersound, Audio Music, etc - whatever the questions, he seemed to think SETs was the answer.

Then I debated a lot with Audiocrack regarding SS amps for his big Tidals, but he said SETs was the answer, and grounding SETs bought tears to his eyes.

I then told Micro he should try a Dagostino for his big Wilsons, but he said SETs was the answer, and bought Lamms from Mike, who had just finished running a 2000+ post thread saying SETs was not always the answer (c'mon Mike get on with the program)

Looking at all the experienced audiophiles with big budgets who have been around for years choosing SETs for their inefficient speakers, impressionable people like me thought SETs was always the answer. And that's how the SETs was won.

Now that this debate was settled, we headed over to Tang's thread, where he was running music videos on SETs + horns helped set up by a guy with SETs + horns with records bought from a guy with SETs + horns. The thread is closely followed by me, Bill, Tao, Kodomo, Brad, Christoph, all fans of SETs + horns. Folsom and Peter also follow, and they don't have SETs horns, but as the OP mentioned, not everyone is objective. Am sure Marc follows it, as I remember reading about Zus in that thread, and he also has SETs. You follow it, and you don't have SETs, but you have Cessaros.

That explains how it moved from what's best to just listening to Tang's music. Which, btw, has to do with neutrality and transparency letting through the natural sound of recorded live music followed mostly only by people with SETs + horns or SETs or horns. And Tima

This is a very nice data point. But I think it’s more appropriate for the Amplifier forum than the Announcements forum.

Don’t forget that for jazz or jazz + classical my personal favorite system is horns and SETs. :p

Reactions: bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
i approve of the turn toward snarkyness of this thread.

all in good fun....

Considering this particular thread is about a serious topic and the tenor of our members’ interaction on the forum I want us to stay on topic. This is not the thread for snarky-ness.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
Hieukm, maybe I can take a stab at answering why this happened and why the forum thinks SETs is always the answer (as mentioned in the OP)

Actually, when I was initially searching, I was looking for SS amps for Apogees or SETs for horns. Then, I saw that the forum founder Steve, instead of looking at say, Dagostino for his big Wilsons, realized SETs was the answer.

Then I saw that despite me and others telling Ron he should use SS for his big Gryphons, for quite a while he thought SETs was the answer. In fact, he started many threads asking questions about NATs, Mastersound, Audio Music, etc - whatever the questions, he seemed to think SETs was the answer.

Then I debated a lot with Audiocrack regarding SS amps for his big Tidals, but he said SETs was the answer, and grounding SETs bought tears to his eyes.

I then told Micro he should try a Dagostino for his big Wilsons, but he said SETs was the answer, and bought Lamms from Mike, who had just finished running a 2000+ post thread saying SETs was not always the answer.

Looking at all the experienced audiophiles with big budgets who have been around for years choosing SETs for their inefficient speakers, impressionable people like me thought SETs was always the answer. And that's how the SETs was won.

Now that this debate was settled, we headed over to Tang's thread, where he was running music videos on SETs + horns helped set up by a guy with SETs + horns with records bought from a guy with SETs + horns. The thread is closely followed by me, Bill, Tao, Kodomo, Brad, Christoph, all fans of SETs + horns. Folsom and Peter also follow, and they don't have SETs horns, but as the OP mentioned, not everyone is objective. Am sure Marc follows it, as I remember reading about Zus in that thread, and he also has SETs. You follow it, and you don't have SETs, but you have Cessaros.

That explains how it moved from what's best to just listening to Tang's music. Which, btw, has to do with neutrality and transparency letting through the natural sound of recorded live music followed mostly only by people with SETs + horns or SETs or horns. And Tima
You making me regret to go for the Thrax 300b PP instead of SET haha. Anyway, i think your answer does seem very logical.

SET and horn proved to be very good and it shows in Tang system. His approach to follow ddk proved to be sucessful and show through the clips if his system. Now Tang can focus more on the “best” music he can find with General’s help.

Except Tang, Mike and Audiocrack is the only one who regularly updated the performance of their system. Both have different approaches in perfecting their setup. Their system possible the best in term of adjusting/managing components, vibration management(Mike) and grounding(Audiocrack).

I would love to see more stuff like Audiocrack and Mike adventure to get close to realism in audio. I felt like the digital section of the forum is not up to par with the Vinyl and TT part.
Feel free to pro-actively address your own comment and commence an interesting thread for us to partipate in and enjoy! :)

As you wish sir

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i approve of the turn toward snarkyness of this thread.

all in good fun....

Yes I have no idea why a couple of them snarked at me but as long as it was in fun it's fine

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I expect people to read my opening post and to think about it introspectively and to be honest to themselves and evaluate whether they see in their own thought process and posts any of the issues I am raising.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

The Onion: Area Man Moves to SET Horns and listens to music

I then told Micro he should try a Dagostino for his big Wilsons, but he said SETs was the answer, and bought Lamms from Mike, who had just finished running a 2000+ post thread saying SETs was not always the answer (c'mon Mike get on with the program)

Is this the reason why this thread right here right now was created, Ron and Steve?

And why dit you delete one of my posts, what do you want from your forum and your members really?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is this the reason why this thread right here right now was created, Ron and Steve?

Nice. I made a Zep reference in my post, you made a van Halen one in your reply

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Why not right here right now in your thread Ron, is this an open forum where everyone can share their observation and suggestion? Is it not exactly what you want, harmony between all the members who also love very dearly WBF, good communication from the best experienced high-end elite from all life venues.

I'll be honest; what is asked starts @ home. I find some comments sometimes not in line with what people demand.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

And why dit you delete one of my posts, what do you want from your forum and your members really?

Hello Bob,

I have not deleted any post on this thread.

I think I made the purpose of the thread clear in the opening post.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why not right here right now in your thread Ron, is this an open forum where everyone can share their observation and suggestion? Is it not exactly what you want, harmony between all the members who also love very dearly WBF, good communication from the best experienced high-end elite from all life venues.

I'll be honest; what is asked starts @ home. I find some comments sometimes not in line with what people demand.

Of course everything I wrote in the opening post applies to me as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I expect people to read my opening post and to think about it introspectively and to be honest to themselves and evaluate whether they see in their own thought process and posts any of the issues I am raising.

Very good, and we (not just you and Steve), we expect respect the same.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Nice. I made a Zep reference in my post, you made a van Halen one in your reply

The ZEP line I got it, which is the Van Halen one? :)
It was accidental, not intentional...I'm not a big fan of Van Halen music, I'm more into Opera.
I also like nostalgia occasionally, ...Depeche Mode and a fair bunch more.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The ZEP line I got it, which is the Van Halen one? :)
It was accidental, not intentional...I'm not a big fan of Van Halen music, I'm more into Opera.
I also like nostalgia occasionally, ...Depeche Mode and a fair bunch more.

Right here right now

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing