One Man's Dream - Ken Fritz Documentary

admin1959

THE FIXER (I build websites)
Mar 27, 2010
I gained permission to post this thread on behalf of Ken Fritz. It is a fantastic video, a real lifetime journey to create a bespoke (largely home made) end game system and music room. Personally, IMO it is one of the most enjoyable and absorbing audio build videos I have seen to date.

Watch this space, I also have 1,000+ photos of the stages, so lots more to come right here!

IMG_1246.JPG

Last edited:

admin1959

Mar 27, 2010
A teaser, MUCH more to follow....
IMG_0058.JPG IMG_0278.JPG IMG_6385.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0087.JPG IMG_107.JPG IMG_176.JPG IMG_0357.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_134.JPG
    IMG_134.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 31

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I watched this video for the first time several months ago through the eyes of a snobby audiophile. I just watched about 20 minutes of it again (where he is talking about the turntable he designed and had manufactured.. This tme I put my snobbiness away and just enjoyed the owner's personal excitement with his 14 year project, remembering that now that I have completed my multi-year bucket list sound system,
I can say without doubt, that although I have a very high end system with great resolving power, it is the personal excitement I derive from listening to it that matters the most to me.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Love your devotion to building your own highest end audio system. My listening room is much like your equipment, very high end. Love of music, that's what counts. I have separated my listening room from my music collection in an adjacent room, just you. I'm sharing your documentary with my friends.

I too have 28,500 LPs and acquired them mostly in collections over the past 50+ years. In the past two years, I acquired my late high school Spanish teacher's 3,500 opera and classical vocal LPs, 1,000 similar from a deceased temple congregant added to my own opera and classical/vocal LPs. No one else wanted to buy them. Storage is a problem for the duplicates which have very little market value. Nearly all mint condition, early pressings. I would have preferred an LP or CD jazz collection but I was my late Spanish teacher's favorite student, 50 years ago.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Love your devotion to building your own highest end audio system. My listening room is much like your equipment, very high end. Love of music, that's what counts. I have separated my listening room from my music collection in an adjacent room, just you. I'm sharing your documentary with my friends.

I too have 28,500 LPs and acquired them mostly in collections over the past 50+ years. In the past two years, I acquired my late high school Spanish teacher's 3,500 opera and classical vocal LPs, 1,000 similar from a deceased temple congregant added to my own opera and classical/vocal LPs. No one else wanted to buy them. Storage is a problem for the duplicates which have very little market value. Nearly all mint condition, early pressings. I would have preferred an LP or CD jazz collection but I was my late Spanish teacher's favorite student, 50 years ago.
Good for you SeagoatLeo, things like this keep the hobby alive and kicking. High end audio is often about big spending, but can also be equality about DIY and dedication, time and realising the dream. Even if it takes some years to get there.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Two large clocks in that second pic. Here is a guy that knows 'what time it is'!

OK probably not the thread for a Flavor Flav reference. ;)

Awesome system!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just saw this thread, Julian!

It is fantastic that you secured Ken's permission to let us into his audio world like this!

Reactions: ihmeyers

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Here is a post on another forum that I did in 2019. Nick Doshi had connected us.

"I have never met Mr. Fritz, but had two or three quite long telephone conversations with him about 14 months ago. He didn't mention his elaborate system, but did talk about his very large listening room. I am assuming it is the same Ken Fritz. We are about the same age and he looks that in the video. We discussed hifi and other topics. I was interested in parts to some tape recorders that he had and a couple friends and I put together an offer to buy a fair number of parts (we all have the same model tape machine) from him. He got the offer and said he would respond within a week. We never heard back, so I assumed he was not interested in selling the parts. I forgot about it, until seeing the video and thought that had to be the same person. The person I talked to lived in one of the states near Washington, DC. Virginia or Maryland, IIRC."

Now back to the present (July, 2021). It looks like I am 3 years younger than Ken Fritz (I just turned 76). The video looks like it was made in late 2018 or early 2019. What may have happened is that shortly after our phone calls and putting together a list of parts that we wanted for our Ampex ATR-102s (2 friends and I have 4 102's), it looks like he was diagnosed with ALS. He had purchased several Ampex ATR-102's from ATR Services, IIRC potentially for one of his sons whom he thought might want to do some recording as a professional musician. He also had 35 boxes of parts that he had bought for the 102's. He did an inventory for us and we picked out a bunch of parts and some equipment. We had very pleasant and long conversations.

I understand ALS is something that one typically does not recover from. Hopefully he is doing well enough to continue to enjoy his system.

Larry

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Here is a post on another forum that I did in 2019. Nick Doshi had connected us.

"I have never met Mr. Fritz, but had two or three quite long telephone conversations with him about 14 months ago. He didn't mention his elaborate system, but did talk about his very large listening room. I am assuming it is the same Ken Fritz. We are about the same age and he looks that in the video. We discussed hifi and other topics. I was interested in parts to some tape recorders that he had and a couple friends and I put together an offer to buy a fair number of parts (we all have the same model tape machine) from him. He got the offer and said he would respond within a week. We never heard back, so I assumed he was not interested in selling the parts. I forgot about it, until seeing the video and thought that had to be the same person. The person I talked to lived in one of the states near Washington, DC. Virginia or Maryland, IIRC."

Now back to the present (July, 2021). It looks like I am 3 years younger than Ken Fritz (I just turned 76). The video looks like it was made in late 2018 or early 2019. What may have happened is that shortly after our phone calls and putting together a list of parts that we wanted for our Ampex ATR-102s (2 friends and I have 4 102's), it looks like he was diagnosed with ALS. He had purchased several Ampex ATR-102's from ATR Services, IIRC potentially for one of his sons whom he thought might want to do some recording as a professional musician. He also had 35 boxes of parts that he had bought for the 102's. He did an inventory for us and we picked out a bunch of parts and some equipment. We had very pleasant and long conversations.

I understand ALS is something that one typically does not recover from. Hopefully he is doing well enough to continue to enjoy his system.

Larry
you are correct and it is the ALS which precludes Ken from posting here, but we do have his full permission to highlight his system and I am sure it gives him great pleasure to read all of the accolades

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Dear Ken, I first saw your system video in youtube maybe a year ago. When you mentioned you were diagnosed with ALS I was deeply moved. I wanted to re-watch the video for a more detailed look at your system as I consider myself somewhat a diy guy, but I just could not, knowing that that part will be coming up. Thank you admin for starting this thread, I will be following it very closely. Ken, you are an inspiration. L.

Artnet

Mar 7, 2021
Melbourne, Australia.
Thank you for sharing this extraordinary journey. What an achievement!
Dear Mr Fritz, i hope you enjoy every moment.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I gained permission to post this thread on behalf of Ken Fritz. It is a fantastic video, a real lifetime journey to create a bespoke (largely home made) end game system and music room. Personally, IMO it is one of the most enjoyable and absorbing audio build videos I have seen to date.

Watch this space, I also have 1,000+ photos of the stages, so lots more to come right here!

I really admire the passion and affection that are visible in every minute of the documentary. This is another beautiful example of how someone's positive and enthusiastic approach can transform the audio world's complexity and sensitivity into a wonderful story and respect.

Reactions: kerisabe and Artnet

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I too really enjoyed the video. It hits very close to home for me. I have been on such a quest for the "perfect system" (within the limits of my budget) for most of my adult life. I also, unfortunately lost a childhood friend to ALS two years ago at the age of 58.

Despite his ALS, I hope Ken can enjoy his system for many, many more hours over the years to come. :)

admin1959

Mar 27, 2010
We began featuring Ken's project in a short intro in July 2021. As a follow up, we have now set up this (huge) first instalment of photos for you to enjoy here. Instalment 2 and 3 will follow January and February.

Consecutive photographs from the production of the 9'6"
and 7'6" - 7.2 speaker project

"When I began this project, it was my intention to take photographs at virtually every step of the way. This would enable me to produce a chronological link to all of the photographs. Unfortunately, I have lost the photographs that included the pattern work and lamination of the fiberglass masters and production molds for the cast polymer baffles for the system.

Furthermore, I have lost the photographs taken during the casting and production of the polymer baffles. Consequently, the photos begin showing both the case goods for the boxes for the speakers and the metal work for the rack supporting the midrange and tweeter driver. After that, the sequence of photographs will give you a good idea of what it took to build this system. For what it's worth, the production tooling for the cast polymer baffles are at Virginia Marble Manufacturing in Kenbridge, Virginia."

KEN FRITZ

Photographs of the construction of my speakers

IMG_0714_2.JPG IMG_0714_2 (1).JPG IMG_0715_2.JPG IMG_0716_2.JPG IMG_0717_2.JPG IMG_0718_2.JPG IMG_0719_2.JPG IMG_0720_2.JPG IMG_0722_2.JPG IMG_0724_2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing