One of the finest whiskeys - introducing Red Spot.

red-spot-jameson-1960s.jpg

History.

It's a fairly recent phenomenon in Ireland that a distillery completed the whiskey’s journey. For centuries, the Irish distilleries sold their new (raw) spirit to bonders (Bonders held a bond with Custom’s & Excise to pay the applicable taxes on spirits, once the spirits were bottled) for maturing, These bonders were usually wine & spirits importers/merchants who bottled their own wine, sherry, cognac. Once these oak casks were emptied, the bonders refilled the casks with the fresh, colorless spirit, that would later become whiskey. They allowed the whiskey to absorb some of the flavour & colour from the oak casks. (In Ireland, the raw, clear barley spirit is called potcheen, it’s only after a minimum of three years and one day of maturation in oak barrels, can the distillate be called whiskey.)

In 1887, the Mitchel & Son decided to branch out into the whiskey business and began maturing whiskey from the nearby Jameson Distillery in their cellars alongside barrels of sherry and cases of claret. Splotches of colored paint were used to indicate their views on the aging potential of each cask. Through the 1900’s Mitchell & Son developed a reputation for creating some of the finest Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey to be found in Dublin. A reputation that stays true even to this day.

Green Spot.jpg

The Spots - Overview

The Spot Whiskeys are made using a unique combination of both malted and unmalted barley. They are all a Single Pot Still Whiskey, triple distilled for that extra smoothness that Irish Pot Still whiskey is renowned for. This leads to that silky caress in the mouth and the flavours change as the whiskey is exposed to the air.

Green Spot whiskey matures in a combination of ex-bourbon casks as well as ex-sherry butts for between 7 and 10 years. The original Green Spot was a minimum of ten years old. (See photo above)
Green Spot Château Léoville Barton is initially matured in a mix of ex-Oloroso sherry and ex-bourbon barrels before being transferred into the ex-Bordeaux wine casks for between 12 to 24 months.
Yellow Spot is matured for a minimum of 12 years in bourbon casks, sherry butts and Malaga casks to create a superbly complex whiskey.
Red Spot is a triple-distilled, single pot still Irish whiskey that has been matured for a minimum of 15 years in a combination of casks pre-seasoned with bourbon, Oloroso (Spanish) sherry, and Sicilian Marsala fortified wine.
Blue Spot was a seven-year-old whiskey, that never really found much favor amongst the whiskey cognoscenti in Ireland. Not currently produced.

This is how Mitchell & Son produced their whiskeys right through to the 1960s and how the tradition has been continued to this day by the expert master blenders at the Midleton Distillery, in County Cork, using the recipes & notes that Mitchell & Son accumulated.

As much and all as the whiskey critics raved over the Green Spot, it wasn’t until the Yellow Spot arrived that I started paying attention to Mitchell & Son fine pot still whiskeys. While I was impressed with the Yellow Spot whiskey, it wasn’t until I was introduced recently to Red Spot by a local whiskey aficionado (John Suveges from Laguna Beach), that I was blown away, became a convert & am proselytizing here today on the benefits of including Red Spot in your spirits cabinet. A little drop of heaven in every glass.

Red Spot.jpg
The modern version of Red Spot was only reintroduced to the marketplace in Autumn 2018, having been on hiatus since the 1960’s.
It’s bottled at 46% alcohol without chill-filtration.

Tasting Notes.

Appearance

Medium Amber

Aroma.
The initial aroma was readily identifiable as being quite floral, which after a few minutes morphed into a beautiful caramel & floral confection.

On The Tongue
This whiskey delivers a gentle caress in the mouth, as you start to identify the flavors: Apple, a hint of pepper & sweet caramel & vanilla. Rich, full, and weighty on the palate. But the drama unfolds as the whiskey is exposed to air in the glass as both thermos & flavours morph before your nose & tongue.

Finish
A very clean finish, no oils left on the tongue. Not as long a finish as some of the competing Irish Pot Still whiskeys.

Glasses.jpg
Regular shot glass, with the Riedel Single Malt glass on the RHS.

Which Glass ?
We started out initially with a wide, short crystal tumbler but the real oral explosions did not begin until we poured a little of the uisce beatha (Gaelic = water of life) into Riedel’s Single Malt glasses. The difference in taste was not subtle between the two glasses, the Riedel provided so much more fragrance, the flavours were noticeably amplified; the equivalent of changing out the stock power cord on your amplifier for a Shunyata Research’s Sigma NR power cable, there is so much more music, micro detail is suddenly apparent. The soundstage becomes wider & the performers more clearly defined.
So too with the Riedel Single Malt whiskey glass; the aromas were more pronounced, the flavours that were once only subtle hints, now become more readily identifiable. Anyone splurging on premium & super premium whiskeys would be well advised to invest in some of the Riedel glasses.

Mitchell & Son Red Spot has a suggested retail price of about $130 in the USA.
It's about as easy to find as hen's teeth. Been keeping an eye out at Total wine for many months now, as I am perilously low on this fantastic whiskey.

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Philip,

I had a couple of glasses of Red Spot at a bar in New York in November. It was as you say. Nestor Liquor shows it as in-stock: search at https://www.nestorliquor.com/ (or the actual, weirdly-named-direct link https://www.nestorliquor.com/products/copy-of-redemption-rye?_pos=1&_sid=11fc3e617&_ss=r ).

The Irish make whiskey like the Cubans make cigars, and vice-versa. Smooth. Both are formulated and crafted to be pleasurably consumable from the first waking eyeball to its last shuttering at night -- or whenever that is. I will track down some for myself. Since you're in O.C., you might try asking for it at Hi Times Wine Cellar on Ogle Street off 17th in Costa Mesa. They have a vast selection of everything, and while they don't show any Red Spot in stock, they are a Mitchell & Son dealer with Green and Yellow Spots in stock. I'm sure they will try to get it for you.

Phil

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the hot tip on what sounds like an interesting whiskey.... I’m usually a bourbon and scotch drinker, when it comes to my whiskey, but recently discovered Red Breast 21yr. It has quickly become one my favorite drams. I’m thinking a trip to Ireland might be in order!

Ovenmitt,
If you visit Ireland, you should try & visit Irish Distillers either in Dublin or Midleton, just outside Cork City; its called the Jameson Experience. Well worth the visit. The young and up & coming blenders have an experimental brand of whiskeys called Method & Madness that appeals to my irreverent self.
BTW, have you tried Power's John's Lane yet ? Though it has been discontinued, it's superb.
Agree completely about the 21 YO Red Breast, you should also check out the 15 YO and at the duty-free in Cork or Dublin Airports you can buy 19 YO Red Breast.
The other Irish Distillers whiskey worth checking out is Midelton, its a blend of the finest whiskeys from Irish Distillers catalogue - spendy but amazing. Enjoy.
Philip

Reactions: Ovenmitt

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Hi Philip,

I had a couple of glasses of Red Spot at a bar in New York in November. It was as you say. Nestor Liquor shows it as in-stock: search at https://www.nestorliquor.com/ (or the actual, weirdly-named-direct link https://www.nestorliquor.com/products/copy-of-redemption-rye?_pos=1&_sid=11fc3e617&_ss=r ).

The Irish make whiskey like the Cubans make cigars, and vice-versa. Smooth. Both are formulated and crafted to be pleasurably consumable from the first waking eyeball to its last shuttering at night -- or whenever that is. I will track down some for myself. Since you're in O.C., you might try asking for it at Hi Times Wine Cellar on Ogle Street off 17th in Costa Mesa. They have a vast selection of everything, and while they don't show any Red Spot in stock, they are a Mitchell & Son dealer with Green and Yellow Spots in stock. I'm sure they will try to get it for you.

Phil
$26 dollar 4 day shipping really put me off buying. On top of the $139.99. I guess I'm not enough of a connoisseur. For those serious about buying, there's a $10 Coupon if you sign up with your email.

Reactions: Jon

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
For bargain shoppers, I saw bottles of Green Spot at Costco today for $43 and change. No Red Spot or Green Spot Leoville Barton however.

Larry

Total Wine in California sells the Red Spot when they have it at $110. It was originally scheduled to arrive in February, that's been pushed back until April. I guess I'll need to buy two bottles when it arrives next. I bought three bottles last year as a point of reference. I guess I'll have to eke my remaining 1/4 bottle of Red Spot out until next month. The hardships we have to endure !

Of course, always happy to share good music & great whiskey.

Reactions: NorthStar

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
..Agree completely about the 21 YO Red Breast, you should also check out the 15 YO and at the duty-free in Cork or Dublin Airports you can buy 19 YO Red Breast.
The other Irish Distillers whiskey worth checking out is Midelton, its a blend of the finest whiskeys from Irish Distillers catalogue - spendy but amazing. Enjoy.
Philip

Agree on Midleton. Have heard very very good things about Redbreast as well. Philip - FWIW, I posted elsewhere on WBF about the Jefferson Presidential Select 20-Year...on my personal tracking list of over 50 whiskys (most of which I own/owned and finished (and definitely NOT all by myself!)...I would say it ranks with the Glennfiddich '77, Macallan 30, Springbank 21, Springbank 35 as my top 6 of all time...it is really that good. Not cheap! But I got it for about 40% less than the market somehow...and when i went back to buy another...they were gone! I took the last one...so as you say, Philip, i better "endure" savoring it! If you get a chance, please do let me know what you think.

I will definitely keep an eye out for the Jefferson Presidential Select 20-Year. Thanks for the tip.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great! Please keep the whisky (whiskey) recommendations coming! A big fan of the water of life!

156908-big.jpg

190858-big.jpg
"When you sit on your laurels, you go nowhere"
Billy Leighton
Master Blender

A Single Pot Still whiskey aged in chestnut casks, a combination of what we’ve always done in Midleton and what we’ve never tried before. It’s not often we stray from the traditional oak, but one sip suggests it was well worth the deviation.

I plan on returning to Ireland in May or June and would like to bring back a couple of different bottles of Method & Madness - single pot still whiskey. Be interesting to taste what the young blenders are arriving at. Only distributed in Ireland, England & France.
So hard to find.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Ovenmitt,
If you visit Ireland, you should try & visit Irish Distillers either in Dublin or Midleton, just outside Cork City; its called the Jameson Experience. Well worth the visit. The young and up & coming blenders have an experimental brand of whiskeys called Method & Madness that appeals to my irreverent self.
BTW, have you tried Power's John's Lane yet ? Though it has been discontinued, it's superb.
Agree completely about the 21 YO Red Breast, you should also check out the 15 YO and at the duty-free in Cork or Dublin Airports you can buy 19 YO Red Breast.
Philip

What a fantastic thread that you've started Phillip... Thank you for the recommendations! I am so new to Irish whiskey. I haven't really tried too much of it. I only happened upon the Red Breast when a friend brought a bottle over to share. I'll look for some of the one's you mention here in Austin and hope for the best.

Chris

Chris,

There are three variants of the Red Breast 12 YO;
Regular, this you have already tasted - superb value. superb taste.
Cask Strength - Single Pot Still, non-chill filtered. The nose exhibits Fuji apple, plum, honeysuckle, orange blossom and toasted almond. ... Classic Irish Whiskey buttered biscuit with cinnamon, caramel, vanilla and a peppery spice on the tongue
Lustau - The Lustau edition from Redbreast highlights the use of sherry casks on the Irish spirit. This was finished in first-fill oloroso-sherry butts for a year, resulting in a creamy whisky with notes of liquorice, marzipan and dark fruits
15 YO - A sumptuous single pot still whiskey with a great degree of ageing, Redbreast 15 is richer, earthier and stronger than its 12 year old sibling. An essential part of any whiskey-drinker's education.
19 YO - A single cask bottling of 19 year old Redbreast Irish single pot still whiskey, distilled in 1998 and finished in an Oloroso sherry cask. It was bottled for La Maison du Whisky with an outturn of 648 cask strength bottles.
21 YO - named World’s Second Best Whiskey in Jim Murray’s annual Whisky Bible 2018.
Scoring a near perfect 97/100, Murray, a world-renowned whisky and whiskey expert, described the Redbreast 21 as “one of the most wonderful noses on this planet” which helps make it “one of the world’s most beautiful and iconic whiskeys”. This placement is the best result for an Irish entrant in Whisky Bible history and only the second time an Irish whiskey made the top three, the first time was in the 2016 Bible when Irish Distillers’ Midleton Dair Ghaelach placed third. (I received a bottle of Dair Ghaelach for my birthday in 2016).

If you have any cash left after the foray into Red Breast, we could talk about Powers & Midleton tomorrow.
Happy sipping,

Philip

Last edited:

213Cobra

Aug 27, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I will definitely keep an eye out for the Jefferson Presidential Select 20-Year. Thanks for the tip.
Another rich and interesting Jefferson available now is the Jefferson's Grand Selection Chateau Pichon Baron - French Oak Cask Finish. Chateau Pichon Baron was Thomas Jefferson's favorite French red wine. This is a vivid whiskey, though less assertive and more nuanced than the forward Ocean Aged series. The grape is present along with obvious oaking. Some resonance of chocolate. Light spiced fruit finish. Ltd. Ed.

Phil

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Phillip, I will report back!

Attachments

• 0BFE442D-104D-4C50-8EA2-9B7B1FD9EB62.jpeg
    0BFE442D-104D-4C50-8EA2-9B7B1FD9EB62.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: adamaley
I enjoyed a terrific music session with Dan Meinwald yesterday. Dan imports / distributes such fine brands as E.A.R., Helius, Townsend amongst others. So besides listening to John McLaughlin and Shakti. Dan was kind enough to crack open a bottle of (drum roll, please). Mitchell & Son - Red Spot.

While it was a different batch to what I consumed last year, nonetheless, it was as exciting to drink to the last drop as I recalled above. Yesterday I noticed caramel & butterscotch in the flavour - truly superb ! Interesting that Dan prefers the Red Spot in a Glencairn glass while I still prefer the Riedel Single Malt glass.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing