Opinions please: Best speakers for $1000 each?

revnice

May 31, 2020
I'm hoping for a consensus because I won't be able to hear them. I'm in Baja 900 miles from the US border and I won't be able to make the trip.

I've been looking at Goldenear Triton 3's or Martin Logan Electromotion but I've never owned anything good so I haven't a clue. The Tritons have 800 watt subs which made me think I wouldn't have to buy a subwoofer.

I will put movie sound through them but they won't be part of a surround system, I'm looking for a 'Toyota' something you can't argue with (but not the Cadillac of mini vans!)

Thanks - rev

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I'd add Revel F35 or F36 to the list and perhaps Magnepan LRS, .7, or 1.7 for something different.

So many choices, so hard to determine without hearing them...

What sort of room dimensions, what type of music, how loud?

Reactions: thomask

revnice

May 31, 2020
Thanks, I'll have to look them up. The room is 20 x 20, the music is rock and it's loud.

I owned Magnaplanars once but I didn't know they were sensitive to UV light and the morning sun passing across the room ruined them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy them again, it means I'll probably RTFM next time. I think electrostatics need a sub and I'm not against getting one but could I get all three for $2,000?

Never heard of Revel, I'm going to check them out right now. Thanks!

revnice

May 31, 2020
They look the business but because of placement in the living room, they'd be better as studio monitors - and I have a studio. Thanks!

revnice

May 31, 2020
I watched a review and it made me want them but they're not quite right for me. In a bigger room or with a bigger screen maybe. Thanks though.

Looks like I can forget about a consensus :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You need smaller speakers in a 20x20ft room, because two speakers that go up against the wall and are very shallow would be too much?

revnice

May 31, 2020
If you mean the JBLs? The review said they were for commercial theaters, they might be shallow with respect to their other dimensions, 11" is the narrowest dimension and they're 85 lbs each. They also have no protective grill and I have 2 dogs.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I know they are for theaters but they’re excellent for music. I’d put them against things that cost 50x as much. (Partly because I don’t like the sound of many speakers).

You want loud, well Magnapans are not that, nor are any smaller driver speakers in a large space if you want dynamics from a 2 way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing