Opinions Please Red Point Model D

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
I am thinking about a possible upgrade from my VPI Scoutmaster to a Red Point Model D tt, it is used but in excellent condition and I think it has a Triplanner arm with ZYX Universe cart. Now I am certain this would be a slight step up!!! Does anyone know the value of one of these from around 2007???

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
The Redpoint is very similar to my Galibier Gavia and for several years I used ithe Galibier with a Triplanar VII-Improved and a Benz LP. Prior to the Galibier, I had a VPI 19 Mk.3 with JMW-10 arm. So neither one is the same as your requested comparison, but there are clearly some family similarities. In short the improvements I heard with the Galibier were nothing short of amazing, and that was before several important upgrades I made to the turntable during the time I have owned it. Perhaps the biggest areas of improvement I heard with the Galibier were a dramatic lowering of the noise floor which allowed subtle details to be heard for the first time and a larger more transparent soundstage. The Scoutmaster may sound better than my old 19 Mk3 but I suspect you were hear similar improvements if you replaced it with a Redpoint.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It cost around 25k MSRP at that time. I have no idea how much they go for used. Wish I could be of more help. :(

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
2007 was about when Redpoint went from a direct-sale model to brick and mortar dealers. This change also resulted in a significant price increase. I have never seen a used Redpoint for sale but I would guess a 2007 version would sell for somewhere between $7500 and $10,000. The Triplanar would add about $2500.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Oh yes.
It is a great turntable and the one you are looking at with a tri planar and Zyx cartridge should be a ripper.
If the price is right you won't regret it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Get those biceps ready. :D Congratulations :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:D

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Big congrats.
Remember mass(weight) is your friend when it comes to turntables.
Just watch your back!
Looking forward to to your impressions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing