Oppo BDP 93 State of The Art for $500 if you have a DAC

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
lloydelee21-My Oppo 93 does not have BNC. Did you have your 83 modded for BNC?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I had, the Oppo is good, but my Accuphase transport sounds with more body and gives more detail in instruments like strings and drums.

True dat. Same here with my Wadia S7i transport.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
lloydelee21-My Oppo 93 does not have BNC. Did you have your 83 modded for BNC?

Hi MJim, no i use an adaptor on one side and go BNC into my DAC where (other than i2s) the BNC is widely considered the best input. that said, it can be done, but apparently it needs a little work to do it. i forgot the explanation, but it can be done if you wish.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hi MJim, no i use an adaptor on one side and go BNC into my DAC where (other than i2s) the BNC is widely considered the best input. that said, it can be done, but apparently it needs a little work to do it. i forgot the explanation, but it can be done if you wish.
Thanks lloyde. I will try that. Any heads up on adapters?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks lloyde. I will try that. Any heads up on adapters?

Hi MJ,

I have a 'plain vanilla' adaptor for the moment, but was originally going to use Purist Audio adaptors. Hope that helps.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Hi MJ,

I have a 'plain vanilla' adaptor for the moment, but was originally going to use Purist Audio adaptors. Hope that helps.
Thanks, yes very much.:)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I had a custom bnc to rca cable made by Patrick Cullen.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice! That should be quite good. Patrick Cullen has a very good reputation. If you speak to him, could you ask him if he can make a custom i2s cable that would fit between an MSB Universal Medium Transport and my Zanden DAC? I think they both use the outlets that look like computer cables (as opposed to PS Audio and Stahl-tek who use HDMI outlets for their i2s implementation...and which, i found out yesterday, actually will work with each other.)

If he says yes, I am DEFINITELY interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am seriously considering an MSB UM Transport...but would ideally like to utilize their i2s output into my Zanden DAC's i2s input. i have asked MSB and they do not make such a cable. here is the description of the msb i2s and zanden i2s. thanks for any help!

http://www.msbtech.com/products/pro.php?Page=platinumHome

http://www.zanden-usa.com/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am auditioning the MSB Technology UMT which is, at it's core, an Oppo 93. For SACD playback it sends out a 24/176.4 stream over all digital outputs. I have it hooked up to the Bricasti M1 and I'm rediscovering my SACD collection. I've been told a stock Oppo 93 will output the same 24/176.4 signal as well.

On a brief tangent, The UMT is an impressive piece of gear. On Redbook playback it was easily as good, if not better, than the Accustic Arts tranport I've been using the past 4 years.

Hi Laser - Very interesting to read about your experience with MSB's UMT vs Accustic Atts transport which has an excellent reputation. i am seriously considering the UMT...how did it compare with other SOTA transports you tried?

I am also trying to find out how easy it would be to take the MSB i2s output into my Zanden DAC i2s input. MSB uses HDMI i2s whereas Zanden uses CAT cables...i am hoping just a custom cable to fit one end to the other properly wired/configured.

In any event, please post if you have any further comments about the UMT as a SOTA transport. Thanks!

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
If someone is set on an Oppo, give the new Cambridge BDP (651 and 751) a look. They are based on the same Oppo transport, but made with better parts. Better PQ and SQ.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If someone is set on an Oppo, give the new Cambridge BDP (651 and 751) a look. They are based on the same Oppo transport, but made with better parts. Better PQ and SQ.

Did I read a review over at Secrets?
...Yep, on the Cambridge 751BD Universal 3D Blu-ray player, here. :b

* MSRP: $1,149 USD.

Last edited:

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011

I assume you are referring to the 93 and not the Ess Sabre dac's in the killer 95:)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Nice review, but as with comments on site, how it compares to a 93 or an older SE is better than nothing but totally meaningless if your looking for an upgraded base player, IMHO of course.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The 95 is more in line with the 751 (price wise).

Perhaps the 651 is more comparable to the 93.

The 651 is based on the old Oppo BDP-80.

IIRC, the 751 has some problems with higher-resolution formats unless it is hooked up to a hi-res video display? It's commented on in some of the reviews.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
The 651 is based on the old Oppo BDP-80.

IIRC, the 751 has some problems with higher-resolution formats unless it is hooked up to a hi-res video display? It's commented on in some of the reviews.

Never read a review with what you have said about the 751. Care to back up your claim?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Nice review, but as with comments on site, how it compares to a 93 or an older SE is better than nothing but totally meaningless if your looking for an upgraded base player, IMHO of course.

I agree with you Ron.

And I noticed that at Secrets their reviews are missing some important key points, like comparisons for example, and also limited setups from the reviewers, so they cannot fully explore all the features.

For me it is more like advertising than a thorough review.
They mostly touch only the surface.

And the price difference between $499 and $1,149 is more than double!

Of course, that is only my opinion.

* I used to read all their A/V Receivers, pre/pros, DVD players (including the Universal ones),
and amplifiers reviews. But the reviewing staff ain't the same than what it used to be. And the methodology is also quite different than in the past. And it seems they lost some of their measuring gear too.
Perhaps they have lower financial resources, or/& less 'commanditaires' (paying advertisers).
It's easy to see some' missing...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Never read a review with what you have said about the 751. Care to back up your claim?

the very first item on a Google search is a 6moons review

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
From 6 moons, if you will:
"To cut right to the chase today, with CD and high-resolution files the 751BD performed as well as the 650BD had then with Arcam's rDAC (but sans the latter's optional Pardo power supply). Then the newcomer adds HDCD support and far superior handling of SACD, more on which anon."

"Of course the midrange—timbre, energy and microdynamics—is most important and neglected by almost all DVD and now BD players whose sound, similar to so many USB DACs, is puny and boring due to weak resolution and lame dynamics. Moving up to an outboard DAC can solve some of these issues whilst creating potential new ones like choosing the right digital cable. With the Cambridge one does not encounter these problems."

"That said, here we encounter the surprise I mentioned earlier. The machine plays SACDs, DVDs and BDs as well as files when the HDMI output connects to a TV or receiver, i.e. when the handshake occurs with another input. If not the disc spins, the counter counts but no sound. Perhaps I missed something, perhaps there is a simple solution but I did not find any and nobody could answer my question. So it meant using the machine in an audio system with some type of monitor. One could of course use Pure Audio mode to switch off display and screen but that’s a half measure only. The HDMI output itself is still live, only the screen gets blanked out."

"But perhaps one could actually profit from a small monitor close the listening chair since the player nicely handles FLAC and WAV files up to 24/192. Though it can’t yet do gapless, the next firmware update should have addressed this. Hi-rez file playback resembled what I heard from SACD - a much smoother sound than CD which confirmed the player’s innately good resolution. "

It is a blu-ray player, first and foremost. So, once again, what is your point? I am talking abut the Cambridge players are a better alternative to Oppo. The 651 is on par with the OPPO 93 and the 751 with the 95.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing