Optical Fibre Cable for Finisar FTLF1324

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
Hi everyone,

recently I have decided to purchase the Sonore opticalRENDU to pair with the etherREGEN. I would like to link up both via optical and have purchased the Finisar FTLF1324 SFP. As I am very new to networking, can anyone advise what do I have to look out for to purchase a set of optical fibre cable to use with the SFP. Thank you.

symon

Reactions: HiJeffFi

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
Hello Simon,
with the Finisar SFP you need a single mode fiber patch cable, they are yellow with blue connectors.
The one from FS.com is thinner and more flexible.
see: image.jpg

Reactions: slai

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Singlemode and with LC connectors at both ends.

Reactions: slai

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
Reactions: Duckworp

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Why did you go with Finisar and not the SFP and cable from Sonore?

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
Where I am based at the moment (Shanghai), Finisar is easily available. The uncertainty of the freight delivery lead time as well as the import tax are not making the SFP and Sonore Cable options very attractive. So far so good with the finisar and Belden combination.

Bogan88

Aug 11, 2020
anyone compared the Sonore (TP-link?) SFP+ Sonore branded optical cable vis Finisar SFP?

for Sonore OM users, is it recommended to use their TPLink branded SFP rather than mix and match?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I have recommended the Finisar a number of times. A few people have thanked me and said that the Finisar sound better than the SFPs that Sonore provides. I think Sonore would prefer that you use their own SFPs so they don't receive questions about incompatibilities with other brands. I will say though that the Finisar 1324 is the best of the 4-5 different SFPs I've tried. Highly recommended.

Note that SFP is based on standard. Any SFP adhering to that standard should work in the OM.

Reactions: diaZ

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Cant seem to find the Finisar 1324 in the US. Any recommendation for another SFP?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Cant seem to find the Finisar 1324 in the US. Any recommendation for another SFP?
The 1318 is their newer version of the 1324. To my ears it comes very close to the 1324, but can be a bit more forward. It also takes some time to settle in.

Checks eBay for both. That’s how I found mine.

econom

Apr 2, 2020
Do you think Single mode SFP modules to be better than Multi mode ? For the time being I am using a Ubiquiti Multi mode to connect two Melco S100

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I have been running the Multimode Sonore for almost a week. They have changed. I still prefer the detail of the Startech.

The 2 types of SFP's are night and day different for me. The Sonore has too much bass and the Startech not enough. I ordered some Finisar's from ebay, they should be here soon.

Reactions: kennyb123

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I received 2 Finisar 1318's, one was damaged so I replaced on Startech SFP and the attenuators on it. Immediate benefit, much richer and most importantly smoother. I have another 1318 on order from e-bay. I think my search has ended.

I see an opportunity for development of audiophile SFP's.

Has anyone found differences in the fiber cables and lengths?

econom

Apr 2, 2020
I ordered the Finisar 1318 combined with Glassfiber cable, will report comparison with Ubiquiti transceiver
MelcoS100 -> Fiber -> Melco S100 -> wireworld & Sablon -> Nucleus+ - Melco N10 -> Stealth T USB -> MSB Diamond V

Last edited:

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Intel has high manufacturing and design standards, anyone tried their SFP's?

econom

Apr 2, 2020
I received the two Finisar 1318 and the Phoenix Contact GlassFiber which replaced Ubiquiti MM transceivers between the two Melco S100 switches.

The difference was substantial, more musical with lots of detail and super highs !!!! Combination rocks !
I have tried Glass Fiber some years ago with my Emm Labs Dac back then and the results were excellent compared to PVC Fiber

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Can you post a link on where you ordered the Phoenix fiber?

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
I'm a novice trying to figure this fiber optic info out. I have a SGC i9 with an optical out that connects to my Optical Rendu thru the supplied short optical cable. It would be really nice to have a 4 or 5 meter cable. Is the Finisar cable better than the stock one I have? I don't want to get new transceivers, just a longer cable. Thanks in advance.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
You need a longer multimode cable with LC LC connections. Should be able to find it online easily.

Note: Although many different types of fiber and SFP transceivers will work we recommend Gigabit SFP modules that work with OM1 (62.5/125 µm multi-mode) type multi-mode fiber with LC connectors for all systemOptique certified products. This will allow your systemOptique to work at its highest level of performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing