Opus1 vs. MSL Platinum

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Dvuc

Apr 28, 2013
I am wondering what kind of cantilever does Opus -1 have? It should be boron but Jonathan Valin in his review said ultra-hard duralmin...

Dvuc

Apr 28, 2013
Thx Peter. Difference in cantilever can explain sound difference between Opus - 1 and Signature Platinum. Similar like cantilever difference between Eminent GL and PC-1 Supreme ( same motor )

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thx Peter. Difference in cantilever can explain sound difference between Opus - 1 and Signature Platinum. Similar like cantilever difference between Eminent GL and PC-1 Supreme ( same motor )

Yes, I think I read somewhere, perhaps an early review of the Opus1 by Valin, that there are two design features of the Opus1 which are borrowed from the MSL Signature Gold. The cantilever is one of them. Perhaps the designer liked what he heard with the Sig. Gold which he developed after the AirTight Supreme and incorporated some of that sound in the Opus1 which followed. Then the Signature Platinum followed that. Internal impedance and output are other areas where these four cartridges can be compared and contrasted.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Would you mind making a video of the same Keb Mo song on the EMT/Atlas so that I can hear your version of heaven?

Here it is Peter. I will make it easy for you.

EMT 927/Ortofon 297/AtlasSL

AF1/SAT/MSL

Kronos/SAT/Opus1

Have fun :)

Tang

Reactions: bazelio

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fun indeed, Tang. Thanks so much. They are all great, but different. I agree with you that the Atlas "Lyra sound" does not sound in your system as it is described is some others. I went back and forth many times, and though I realize these videos through computer and headphones are not what you hear live in your room, I did hear noticeable differences. I like the high frequencies and sense of ease with the MSL. I also like the control and even sound of the Atlas. The Kronos/Opus is my least favorite because of the slightly soft transients to the guitar plucks. It might better with massed strings and female voice. The Atlas sounds like it has qualities of both the Opus and the MSL. I'd have a hard time choosing between the Atlas and MSL combinations with this particular recording. It might be easier listening to the actual system. Again, I love the silence of the grooves. Non audiophiles would be astonished that vinyl can sound like this.

I really appreciate the time you spent recording and sharing these videos. You have a real passion and incredible system and collection of vinyl sources. It will surely be fascinating to see what the American Sound and 3012R bring to mix.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
This was fun to listen to. Which one is the Lyra Atlas? Neither - 'BKK' or 'MSL Plat' say Lyra or Atlas to me....

I liked the Kronos/Opus 1 presentation of the vocal although I don't know if it was supposed to sound that way as it was very full sounding (and many modern blues recordings tend to be EQ'd to sound old and 'authentic'...). The guitar did not have as much sparkle with this combination.

The first two combos sounded very similar to me.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I didn't think that you could hear major differences this way but it's very clear and only one sounds natural and un-hyped :).

The other two are more or less interchangeable.

david

Here it is Peter. I will make it easy for you.

EMT 927/Ortofon 297/AtlasSL

AF1/SAT/MSL

Kronos/SAT/Opus1

Have fun :)

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang
all sound great [except that bloody phone]

Maybe you like the sound of my phone more if I put it on Taiko Tana and ground it with Tripoint.

Tang:p

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This was fun to listen to. Which one is the Lyra Atlas? Neither - 'BKK' or 'MSL Plat' say Lyra or Atlas to me....

I am also surprised by how Un-Atlas it sounds.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I didn't think that you could hear major differences this way but it's very clear and only one sounds natural and un-hyped :).

david

The vintage tt, arm and I think the copper wire make it the way it is. All my arms have silver wire except this one.

Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The vintage tt, arm and I think the copper wire make it the way it is. All my arms have silver wire except this one.

Tang

The homogenization is probably the silver wire, do you silver in other places too?

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

david

That's interesting, David. Madfloyd and I think the Atlas and MSL sound more similar to each other and that the Opus is the one that sounds most different. I presume you think the natural, un-hyped one is the EMT/Atlas and that the Opus and MSL are hyped respectively in different directions. If that is wrong, could you clarify or explain?

What is fascinating is that differences do come through pretty clearly for a video played back over a computer and headphones. Another guy I sent these to commented that the horn/tube sound came through quite clearly on all three videos. I did not get that characterization, but I do hear clear differences which I'm not confident I could ascribe to the particular turntables, arms, or cartridges, let alone tonearm wiring. Too many variables for me to separate, especially over a computer/headphone system and remote listening.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The homogenization is probably the silver wire, do you silver in other places too?

david

I use MIT interconnects and speaker cables. I don’t think they are silver. Ralph of Cessaro brought silver speaker cables for me to try once. I thought it was a bit blingie, sparkle highs and had less textural details in voices than the MIT. So I stick with what I have.

Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

david

David, Tang, do you think the differences in sound are more the result of the different turntables and tonearms and wires, or the different cartridges? Or is it hard to say?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I use MIT interconnects and speaker cables. I don’t think they are silver. Ralph of Cessaro brought silver speaker cables for me to try once. I thought it was a bit blingie, sparkle highs and had less textural details in voices than the MIT. So I stick with what I have.

Tang
Good!

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing