Opus1 vs. MSL Platinum

Vienna

VIP/Donor
thank you Peter, the reason i had to buy first, was the inexistence of cartridges for auditioning (before buying), in Greece.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congratulations, Brian. Happy to hear you love it. Let us know what your impressions are after it breaks in a bit more.

Reactions: Bobvin and bazelio

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Dear Tang and other respected audiophile Dons!
I have an opportunity to buy either cart at a good price, but the difference is still over $5k which is a lot. I understand that Opus is more resolving and has better soundstage, but is it worth the extra money? Considering my system level and the fact that I currently use ZYX Universe II, will I hear this difference?
Thanks in advance,
Aziz

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have an opportunity to buy either cart at a good price, but the difference is still over $5k which is a lot. I understand that Opus is more resolving and has better soundstage, but is it worth the extra money? Considering my system level and the fact that I currently use ZYX Universe II, will I hear this difference?
Thanks in advance,
Aziz
i'm not an expert on those carts, other than feedback i have read. but.....your arm and phono stage are certainly going to easily show what the better cartridge will do. those pieces are found in top level systems.

and the Opus 1 will give you a higher lift over your ZYX. with .45mv output it should work great with the Io Eclipse.....the noise should be minimal.

and it's the delta between your current cart and the new one that is what you are after.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I found the MSL Platinum to be "OK" in my system. I wouldn't buy it, personally. I love the Opus 1 in my system. I don't know what kind of price deltas you're finding, but it's always difficult to derive someone's personal value equation for them. The Opus 1 is a clearly better cart in my personal opinion, and that's what I can offer.

Reactions: timztunz and mtemur

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks in advance,
Aziz
In general I’m not a fan of MSL or it’s private label variants, too bland IMO but I can happily live with the Opus 1. You do have a point regarding your system it probably will homogenize both cartridges to some degree eroding Opus’s resolution advantage of course it goes without saying that setup is crucial to extract the most from your investment.

david

Reactions: mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks in advance,
Aziz

You will hear a difference but the zyx is also a very good carts and they are more similar than different. For example, the Lyra and vdh are more different, as is a koetsu (in another direction). So at the end depending on your outlook you can spend 5k at a new sound and be excited, or not. And yes, someone might say universe premium is closer to Opus than the universe II, but still

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
In general I’m not a fan of MSL or it’s private label variants, too bland IMO but I can happily live with the Opus 1. You do have a point regarding your system it probably will homogenize both cartridges to some degree eroding Opus’s resolution advantage of course it goes without saying that setup is crucial to extract the most from your investment.

david
David, thanks for your advice and an honest opinion, which I truly respect and value. I know you are not very fond of Kuzma TTs. Do you think that I would benefit more from TT change, rather than cartridge? Or the Opus is simply too much for my system and room?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I thought the difference between MSL Platinum and Opus was not that great. I‘ve almost made a decision to go for the MSL, now, after reading all your replies - I want Opus again:eek:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, thanks for your advice and an honest opinion, which I truly respect and value. I know you are not very fond of Kuzma TTs. Do you think that I would benefit more from TT change, rather than cartridge? Or the Opus is simply too much for my system and room?
Hi Aziz,
My comment was general and includes setup concerns I commented only because you asked definitely not targeted specifically at your tt. Question of a different front end or cartridge is part of the analog/vinyl experience you can change flavors and enhance your listening pleasure with more variety than other mediums.

david

Reactions: abeidrov

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Air tight opus 1 and TechDas tcd01 basically same cartridges and most probably My Sonic Lab platinum too. all of them are made by My sonic Lab. recently I installed a TechDas tcd01 to a friend's setup and listened a couple of times since then. it sounds live without being edgy. all the instruments are rendered perfectly especially piano. I liked it more than Kondo IO-M which I'm very familiar.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Air tight opus 1 and TechDas tcd01 basically same cartridges and most probably My Sonic Lab platinum too. all of them are made by My sonic Lab. recently I installed a TechDas tcd01 to a friend's setup and listened a couple of times since then. it sounds live without being edgy. all the instruments are rendered perfectly especially piano. I liked it more than Kondo IO-M which I'm very familiar.
Apparently they all sound different and Opus is the champion:)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks in advance,
Aziz
Dear Aziz,

1) You will hear the difference.
2) Buy the Opus. Superb cart all around. I only enjoyed the MSL Plat for vocal. But on classical I got bored because it was less resolving and consistently exhibited certain character (color by some) making music less real and more homogeneous than the Opus.

kind regards,
Tang

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
i'm not an expert on those carts, other than feedback i have read. but.....your arm and phono stage are certainly going to easily show what the better cartridge will do. those pieces are found in top level systems.

and the Opus 1 will give you a higher lift over your ZYX. with .45mv output it should work great with the Io Eclipse.....the noise should be minimal.

and it's the delta between your current cart and the new one that is what you are after.
Mike, did you ever get your Io Eclipse back from Aesthetix ? If you did, how do you like it ? :) Does it compare to your other phonos ?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, did you ever get your Io Eclipse back from Aesthetix ? If you did, how do you like it ? :) Does it compare to your other phonos ?
i heard from Jim White yesterday that i should see my Io Eclipse later this month. excited to see how it fits into the mix.

stay tuned.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
i heard from Jim White yesterday that i should see my Io Eclipse later this month. excited to see how it fits into the mix.

stay tuned.
So it has been 6-7 month wait for you too ! :oops: At least i don't feel especially mistreated anymore. ;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

stay tuned.
Funny when I think of you and the Io the sound aspect doesnot come up a concern but curious on how you gonna place the three boxes. New rack you need. Longer connecting cables for other components that will be placed further, etc. At your level it is not just the $ of the new gear introducing in but more $ to rearrange the logistic. It is a sin we are in this hobby sir.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Funny when I think of you and the Io the sound aspect doesnot come up a concern but curious on how you gonna place the three boxes. New rack you need. Longer connecting cables for other components that will be placed further, etc. At your level it is not just the $ of the new gear introducing in but more $ to rearrange the logistic. It is a sin we are in this hobby sir.

Kindest regards,
Tang
i recognize you went through the chaos of too many boxes (and tt's) and such yourself, and then you added the whole Lamm multiple box effect too. now you are relatively simplified. 10 years ago i had 4 tt's and multiple phono's and 5 RTR decks too. and then simplified. so we've both been down this road......and i fully relate to the lens of logistics that you see my situation with.

i have thought about this in detail as you can imagine.

for the immediate challenge of integrating the Io Eclipse into my set-up; my plan is to (1) consolidate my two MSB power supplies onto one shelf, and remove one Dazia from my double Daiza stack. (2) which will free up one shelf for the Io Eclipse main chassis chose enough for the phono cables to reach from both the Saskia and NVS. then; (3) i will place the two Io Eclipse power supplies on the two shelves where my NVS and Saskia power supplies are. if necessary i can also move the air box for the CS Port tt/arm. the NVS power supply can be on my wall mounted shelf where i have my EMIA SUT's. the Air Box will fit on the wall inset CD shelves. the Saskia power supply would go where the Air Box is under the EMT 948 tt.

until i have the Io Eclipse in the system and listen it's hard for me to predict the lowest noise location for the power supplies. they need to be away from the main Io Eclipse box. so it will be a process of experimentation. i can even place both Io Eclipse power supplies where my Tana/Herzan power supplies are now on the floor between my NVS rack and MM7 bass tower. and move those Tana/Herzan power supplies. those might even end up behind my MM7 bass tower. i can also separate those power supplies for the Io Eclipse one on the floor and one where the NVS power supply is.

the Io Eclipse main box can be placed under my NVS (where my MSB dac box currently sits) so the power cables will reach the floor locations. the Tana/Herzan power cables are quite long so that is not an issue. in my mind i should have options.

i've certainly mentally moved on from keeping all these sources permanently. my 'end-game' likely will be less crowded. but i want the Io Eclipse to be in system to properly judge the keepers and the non keepers. there is no urgency to any of this. i will enjoy sorting it out......it's fun.

added note; i just realized that my main system pics don't show the 4th tt or 4th Adona rack so you can see where everything is right now. so i added this pic to show the latest view. the rack with the CS Port tt on top, the Saskia power supply on the 2nd shelf, the NVS power supply on the 3rd shelf, and Tripoint Elite on the bottom shelf. oops.....forgot that this pic does not show the added MSB Select Headphone amp on top of the MSB dac box.

kind regards,

Mike 4-tt-2 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So it has been 6-7 month wait for you too ! :oops: At least i don't feel especially mistreated anymore. ;)
my moment of feeling butt hurt is now ancient memory. Jim has been in touch with me since that time and i feel good about it.

and i've come to understand that i'm getting support consistent with what others have received, other than some initial communications snafu's. shit happens. as a purchaser of a used set i came to them without any previous knowledge of their process. so that was part of it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31 and Lagonda

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
i recognize you went through the chaos of too many boxes (and tt's) and such yourself, and then you added the whole Lamm multiple box effect too. now you are relatively simplified. 10 years ago i had 4 tt's and multiple phono's and 5 RTR decks too. and then simplified. so we've both been down this road......and i fully relate to the lens of logistics that you see my situation with.

i have thought about this in detail as you can imagine.

for the immediate challenge of integrating the Io Eclipse into my set-up; my plan is to (1) consolidate my two MSB power supplies onto one shelf, and remove one Dazia from my double Daiza stack. (2) which will free up one shelf for the Io Eclipse main chassis chose enough for the phono cables to reach from both the Saskia and NVS. then; (3) i will place the two Io Eclipse power supplies on the two shelves where my NVS and Saskia power supplies are. if necessary i can also move the air box for the CS Port tt/arm. the NVS power supply can be on my wall mounted shelf where i have my EMIA SUT's. the Air Box will fit on the wall inset CD shelves. the Saskia power supply would go where the Air Box is under the EMT 948 tt.

until i have the Io Eclipse in the system and listen it's hard for me to predict the lowest noise location for the power supplies. they need to be away from the main Io Eclipse box. so it will be a process of experimentation. i can even place both Io Eclipse power supplies where my Tana/Herzan power supplies are now on the floor between my NVS rack and MM7 bass tower. and move those Tana/Herzan power supplies. those might even end up behind my MM7 bass tower. i can also separate those power supplies for the Io Eclipse one on the floor and one where the NVS power supply is.

the Io Eclipse main box can be placed under my NVS (where my MSB dac box currently sits) so the power cables will reach the floor locations. the Tana/Herzan power cables are quite long so that is not an issue. in my mind i should have options.

i've certainly mentally moved on from keeping all these sources permanently. my 'end-game' likely will be less crowded. but i want the Io Eclipse to be in system to properly judge the keepers and the non keepers. there is no urgency to any of this. i will enjoy sorting it out......it's fun.

added note; i just realized that my main system pics don't show the 4th tt or 4th Adona rack so you can see where everything is right now. so i added this pic to show the latest view. the rack with the CS Port tt on top, the Saskia power supply on the 2nd shelf, the NVS power supply on the 3rd shelf, and Tripoint Elite on the bottom shelf. oops.....forgot that this pic does not show the added MSB Select Headphone amp on top of the MSB dac box.

kind regards,

Mike View attachment 81913
It looks like they are each queuing up to be played ,lol, I do like the Adona’s !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing