Orchestral choral music and recordings

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I enjoy listening to orchestral choral music. It can be a challenge to reproduce well and well done recordings can serve for component and system evaluation.

A classic eminent example is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. Requiems typically have include a choir. Brahms wrote a variety of interesting choral pieces (Alto Rhapsodie Op. 53, Schicksalslied, Op 54, Nänie, Op. 82 and others). Bach's St.Matthew Passion BWV 244, Pergolesi's Stabat Mater, Bruckner's Te Deum in C Major and Mahler's Symphony No. 8, are other examples. List of symphonies for chorus and orchestra. (limited to symphonies)

My hope for this thread is for you to contribute recording specific examples of what your like; ideally that includes a catalog number. Hopefully some are on LP.

I'll start with these:

Handel Messiah Hogwood LOiseau-Lyre D189D 3.jpg

L'Oiseau-Lyre D189D 3 (3 LP box)

Mozart Requiem Skold Propius PROP 7815 .jpg
Propius PROP 7815

Mahler Sym 8 Solti CSO.jpg

Decca SET 534-5 (2 LP)

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
So far as I am concerned, such complex and distributed forces (almost) demand multichannel recording and playback. Here are two of my favorites:
Mozart: Requiem. Linn Records CKD 211

Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky. Reference Recordings FR-735SACD

rando

Sep 22, 2019
One of both of these will provide ample means to test a system. The first "Ha" is a hybrid SACD.

CPO 777 237-2

Marco Polo 8.223280-281

Less bombastic and probably closer @tima 's vein of musical interest.

BIS CD 1726

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nice thread Tim. Just ordered the Mahler No. 8.

I am becoming more and more interested in this type of music. I inherited a few boxes of old LPs from my mother-in-law who was an opera singer in the Baltimore area. Here are two I found this morning now in my "to clean" pile. I am not that familiar with the music and do not know these specific recordings, but thought I would post them in the thread to see if anyone is has an opinion. My wife's mother was no audiophile, but she loved music and had good taste. I look forward to seeing others' recommendations.

The top image goes along with the upper box in the lower image.

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0647.JPG

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Nice thread Tim. Just ordered the Mahler No. 8.

I am becoming more and more interested in this type of music. I inherited a few boxes of old LPs from my mother-in-law who was an opera singer in the Baltimore area. Here are two I found this morning now in my "to clean" pile. I am not that familiar with the music and do not know these specific recordings, but thought I would post them in the thread to see if anyone is has an opinion. My wife's mother was no audiophile, but she loved music and had good taste. I look forward to seeing others' recommendations.

Thanks, Peter and thanks for contributing.

Your mother-in-law does have good taste. I've not heard either particular recording, but Handel's Messiah is a favorite of mine for both listening and reviewing. When you have the opportunity to listen, I'll draw your attention to the instrumental prelude to the recitative in Scene 6 of Part II ("Why do nations so furiously rage together…"). On the Hogwood version I found this passage to be ripe with incredible energy, vibrancy and purpose - driving ostinatos from massed strings more as a collection of individuals playing in crisp unison rather than a blur of frequency differences across sections. I hope your copies are in decent condition.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Peter, are there any jokes about son in laws who listen to vocals on Magico

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With reference to the first post, Bach's st Matthews passion was the single best concert I ever attended. It plays only during Easter so is not easy to get live. I watched twice in different halls, one was the best and the other was disappointing despite some big names

Reactions: Andrew S.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, are there any jokes about son in laws who listen to vocals on Magico

Ked, Can’t say I get that, but she did very much enjoy coming over and hearing Johnny Hartman and Louis Armstrong singing over the Magico minis. If she could only hear it now. I would play some of her Winterriesse and favorite large scale opera.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What's her favorite large scale opera

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Grimaud_Credo.png

Contains an emotionally captivating, thrilling performance of Beethoven's Choral Fantasy op. 80, in a sonically wonderful recording. Dynamics are extreme. I measured the loudest tutti for just orchestra at 90 dBa in my system, and the final tutti of choir and orchestra together at 99 dBa (ca. 105 dB), thus almost double as loud.

The album also contains the excellent modern piece for choir and orchestra, 'Credo' by Arvo Part, as well as two solo piano pieces, Beethoven's amazing "Tempest" sonata, op. 31/2, and Corigliano's captivating Fantasia on an ostinato for solo piano.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Three that I really like:
- Beethoven's Missa Solemnis: Studer, Norman, Domingo, Moll, Leipzig and Swedish Radio Choirs, Eric Ericson Chamber Choir, Vienna Philharmonic, James Levine on a DG CD. (The choirs in the final movement are massive.)
- Handel's Dettingen Te Deum: Choir of Westminster Abbey, The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock on an Archiv CD.
- Monteverdi's Vespers of the Blessed Virgin: The Monteverdi Choir, The London Oratory Junior Choir, His Majesties Sagbutts & Cornetts, The English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardner on an Archiv CD.

Reactions: tima

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
View attachment 73859

Contains an emotionally captivating, thrilling performance of Beethoven's Choral Fantasy op. 80, in a sonically wonderful recording. Dynamics are extreme. I measured the loudest tutti for just orchestra at 90 dBa in my system, and the final tutti of choir and orchestra together at 99 dBa (ca. 105 dB), thus almost double as loud.

The album also contains the excellent modern piece for choir and orchestra, 'Credo' by Arvo Part, as well as two solo piano pieces, Beethoven's amazing "Tempest" sonata, op. 31/2, and Corigliano's captivating Fantasia on an ostinato for solo piano.
Played mine a couple of days ago.
Great Bluray audio

Reactions: Al M.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
This is a great thread, and up my alley. Many favourites have already been posted - the Requiems, The Oratorios, The Passions (the St Matthews, which as Bonzo says, is traditionally performed at Easter over here as well.

I'll have a good think to see what I can add which may be of interest.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
So - I'm going to nominate a symphony: Mendelssohn's Symphony No.2 in Bb major.

Edit: Details are:

LSO Live – LSO0826-D

Previously released on LSO0803 Mendelssohn Symphony No 2;

Interestingly originally recorded in DSD:

Recorded live on 16 & 20 October 2016 (Symphony No 2), in DSD at the Barbican, London.

Nicholas Parker producer & editor

Classic Sound Ltd recording, editing and mastering facilities

Jonathan Stokes & Neil Hutchinson for Classic Sound Ltdengineering, editing, mixing & mastering

It is big - features a full choir and various soloists, and to my mind is one to put on the list.

I posted the recording I listened to over in the Classical thread; but here is another recommended by the curators over at PrimePhonic (PP). It will get an outing shortly.

Full liner notes are available on PP - which makes for interesting reading - here is a short extract.

"Mendelssohn entitled his second symphony "Lobegesang" (Song of Praise) and described it as a "symphony-cantata." After its first performance, on June 25, 1840, in Leipzig, the "Lobegesang" became very popular; today it is rarely performed. Mendelssohn completed revisions of the work in November 1840 for publication in 1841."

0822231182665.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing