Organizing music files - what tools to use

grandsoir

Dec 28, 2020
Hello all

Ok, so musicfiles, most of us have them and collect them. There is wav, flac, dsd for us musiclovers
and for me that have several HDD with music, I need to find tools to create and keep a structure.

I´m thinking;

* Renaming all folders according to a good structure; what program do I need, what is out there and what are you guys using? How do you index all your music

* Album art; is there a program that can download all of this automatically?

* A program that can index all music files in a database, so I have one place to see my whole collection (different formats/releases). What is out there?

* I will only mention it, but it could be handled seperatly. Should I convert all files into wav or not?! It seems like most people prefer wav to flac. If yes, how is the process in doing that, I got some info that the program that converters a flac-file back to wav is also important and can alter the sound.

Thanks a lot!

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
* Renaming all folders according to a good structure; what program do I need, what is out there and what are you guys using? How do you index all your music
The files on my NAS are structured by date/title and I let JRiver organize my views of the collection.
* Album art; is there a program that can download all of this automatically?
JRiver does that but no automatic program is completely satisfactory. I supplement with MP3TAG and AlbumArtDownloader.
* A program that can index all music files in a database, so I have one place to see my whole collection (different formats/releases). What is out there?
There are many. My preference is JRiver. What are you planning to use to play your music files?
* I will only mention it, but it could be handled seperatly. Should I convert all files into wav or not?! It seems like most people prefer wav to flac. If yes, how is the process in doing that, I got some info that the program that converters a flac-file back to wav is also important and can alter the sound.
I see no reason to convert any files except (1) those that will not play on your current equipment and (2) those that are so bulky that lossless compression is needed. The latter only applies if your storage space is limited.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing