Ortofon's new flagship 'MC Century' announced

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
The Century offers a completely different sound. It is not only very dynamical but builds up a depth and atmosphere entangling you around.
Well - let us simply summarize: it is an analogue masterpiece!

www.audiocirc.com

thank you for your write-up.

i've been greatly enjoying the new Orotofon Anna Diamond, which is the same innards with a different SLM built titanium body.

remarkable sound! i like your word 'entangling'......you do get immersed in the sound all around.

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Can the MC Century be sent back to Ortofon to be refurbished for further use, after its first life?
Is there such a scheme for this cartridge by Ortofon?
Thank you

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Can the MC Century be sent back to Ortofon to be refurbished for further use, after its first life?
Is there such a scheme for this cartridge by Ortofon?
Thank you
Pretty sure they will rebulid it for you. Contact your dealer or Ortofon.

Reactions: Hamburger

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
For MC Century owners, what other carts did you have before moving onto the MC Century?
For MC Century fans, what carts do you think would the Century bested them?

(My experience with Ortofon was long ago with the Rondo-Bronze/MC-30. Think they went by different names in different markets.)

I use a Kuzma 4-Point arm and I am interested in heavy (>14g) and low-compliant cartridges. :)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Very expensive rebuild, about half the price of a new cartridge ! The factory is about half an hour away from my home, and i like Ortofon, but rebuild price, and the low output of their top offerings have disqualified them for me.

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Very expensive rebuild, about half the price of a new cartridge ! The factory is about half an hour away from my home, and i like Ortofon, but rebuild price, and the low output of their top offerings have disqualified them for me.
Yes, I am thinking along the same line as you, primarily on the low output and cost of rebuilding, and maybe on a third point of a fat body with small cantilever, and fourth point of a low-rider(?)

The plus points are Ortofon makes reliable products and the company offers rebuild.

I have a chance to buy a lightly-used pre-owned MC Century, and was thinking if I want to jump onto the MC Century bandwagon... thinking... thinking... thinking!;)

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, I am thinking along the same line as you, primarily on the low output and cost of rebuilding, and maybe on a third point of a fat body with small cantilever, and fourth point of a low-rider(?)

The plus points are Ortofon makes reliable products and the company offers rebuild.

I have a chance to buy a lightly-used pre-owned MC Century, and was thinking if I want to jump onto the MC Century bandwagon... thinking... thinking... thinking!;)
I also think the special cut they use on their top cartridges gives them a very limited lifetime, about 1000 hours, and nobody can re-tip them with the same diamond except Ortofon. Both times i owned top Ortofon cartridges, they got prematurely killed by different wifes :rolleyes:, therefore i don't know from personal experience, only what i read.

Last edited:

Cohnaudio

Dec 24, 2016
I've had the MC Century since it came out. I think it is one of the finest, if not the finest, cartridges I have heard. Prior to owning the Centruy, I had the Anna, the MC 90 and Dynavector XVs (in reverse order). I liked the speed and fantastic detail retrieval of of the MC 90, but longed for a bit more weight. The Anna had more weight, but didn't seem as lively as the 90. I understand the MC 95 did a good job of combining those attributes, but I never owned one. The Century combines the attributes, but has added a level of retrieval and naturalness that is amazing. Even if you prefer Lyras (which I do not), the cartridge would not disapoint.

Reactions: bonzo75

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
I've had the MC Century since it came out. I think it is one of the finest, if not the finest, cartridges I have heard. Prior to owning the Centruy, I had the Anna, the MC 90 and Dynavector XVs (in reverse order). I liked the speed and fantastic detail retrieval of of the MC 90, but longed for a bit more weight. The Anna had more weight, but didn't seem as lively as the 90. I understand the MC 95 did a good job of combining those attributes, but I never owned one. The Century combines the attributes, but has added a level of retrieval and naturalness that is amazing. Even if you prefer Lyras (which I do not), the cartridge would not disapoint.
I am not a believer of "a best cartridge". I believe it is just varied flavors at the top of the pyramid, and other considerations to the user. I am glad you have found the flavor you like, in the form of MC Century!

What is your impression of Dynavector; the 1s and 1t, compared to Ortofons? :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing