Our Newest Video! -- "The Jaguar Guide to Buying Vinyl"

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
This segment is targeted at those just getting into vinyl. The project has turned into a 3-part vinyl video series, starting with Jaguar Turntable Setup, now Buying Vinyl and Part 3, my "50 Best Pressings", which is coming around January and I expect the one this crowd will be most interested in. In the meantime you can let me know what I missed in Part 2, which I'll be adding to the notes on the blog page.

Filming only took about 3 hours, since I got smart and bought a teleprompter. Nothing like video to show you how not good at talking you are, but overall it turned out OK. The audio ended up with too much echo, because I made the mistake of only using a mini shotgun mic; I improved it a bit in editing, but I should have used a lav mic. Feel free to leave your suggestions to make the next one better.

[video=vimeo;191863249]https://vimeo.com/192029136[/video]

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
All my approved vinyl gets outer sleeves.
If you have issues sliding them in and out, turn the outer sleeve so the opening is up.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
All my approved vinyl gets outer sleeves.
If you have issues sliding them in and out, turn the outer sleeve so the opening is up.

HFG, obviously it gets down to personal preference, but the reason I don't recommend this is because, if you turn the outer sleeve sideways you either have to take the sleeve off every time you play the record or you have to turn the entire album sideways and can't read the spine...otherwise they slide off all the time. Half of my albums are worth less than $50 and I don't care that much about the covers, but even if I did, sliding the album in and out once in a while doesn't have much effect on the cover, in my opinion (and I'm quite fussy about my stuff). Thanks for watching the video.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
HFG, obviously it gets down to personal preference, but the reason I don't recommend this is because, if you turn the outer sleeve sideways you either have to take the sleeve off every time you play the record or you have to turn the entire album sideways and can't read the spine...otherwise they slide off all the time. Half of my albums are worth less than $50 and I don't care that much about the covers, but even if I did, sliding the album in and out once in a while doesn't have much effect on the cover, in my opinion (and I'm quite fussy about my stuff). Thanks for watching the video.

And that's a problem? :D You have to pull the cardboard lyric sheet and the actual record out of the sleeve - I find the 1 additional second removing the protective outer sleeve no big deal personally.

all part of the joy of vinyl and looking after your precious records, no matter how much they are worth.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
On the outer sleeve suggestion I prefer having the opening facing up. The inner gets inserted behind the jacket with the opening facing sideways. I can read the spine just fine and there is no sliding of the outer sleeve that way. I'm slowly adding both inner and outer sleeves to the majority (about 75%) of my records.

With regard to proper shipping, the record being outside of the sleeve does not add rigidity in any way, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion. You should still do it however, and you do so to prevent seam/ede splits from possibly occurring during shipping. Even though an LP mailer's content may be properly packaged (cardboard liners at the very least) and secure (tight) there will always be some movement which can cause seam/edge splits.

Cool video though and I'm sure those new to vinyl will appreciate the effort you put into it.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I appreciate the videos you are making, have been watching them as they pop up.
Am I correct you are an online only business, I don't see a B&M location?
My thought behind shipping outside the cover has always been to save the cover edges from being torn by the record through rough handling by the PO/UPS/FEDEX.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
On the outer sleeve suggestion I prefer having the opening facing up. The inner gets inserted behind the jacket with the opening facing sideways. I can read the spine just fine and there is no sliding of the outer sleeve that way. I'm slowly adding both inner and outer sleeves to the majority (about 75%) of my records.

Good point Johnny. This is what I did with my valuable albums. I got rid of them on the covers that are already beat up or I don't care about, but my main goal something like this, where I don't have to deal with them. This is the kind of suggestion I need to add in the notes.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I appreciate the videos you are making, have been watching them as they pop up.
Am I correct you are an online only business, I don't see a B&M location?
My thought behind shipping outside the cover has always been to save the cover edges from being torn by the record through rough handling by the PO/UPS/FEDEX.

Yes HFG, avoiding cover splitting is the reason for shipping the album outside the cover; I got that mixed up in my notes.

With regard to Jaguar, I work online with clients around the world, but I also have a listening space in Bellevue (there’s a video of the Jaguar Listening Space also on the Jaguar Blog). My local clients come by all the time to hear products in the Jaguar system and pick up products. However, I hope the videos will be a good way to get to know people who can’t make an easy trip to Seattle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing