"Overlanding" in a TouRig Customized Off-Road Mercedes Sprinter Van

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In the midst of the global virus pandemic who among us has not imagined bugging out in an off-road capable 4 wheel drive expedition vehicle of some kind?

EarthRoamer makes huge globe-trotting over-landing vehicles, but I doubt I would last a day driving one of those behemoths before I accidentally rolled over a row of tract houses. Something the size of an Amazon delivery van -- the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter -- looks more manageable.

TouRig, of Colorado, USA, modifies a 2WD Sprinter van into a self-contained, solar-powered, lifted, off-road capable, 4WD Sprinter you can live in. It has a full kitchen and a toilet and a shower.

What do you think of this TouRig Bruce Banner model?

8E31365A-309F-4A64-80A1-5B6AA8FCE7BC.jpeg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mytourig.com/rigs/sprinter/bruce-banner/amp/

https://apple.news/Ai950K4IcTMWVUJVMaqJh-w

Who is experienced in overlanding/expedition vehicles?

Tell us about your overlanding vehicle. For how many days can you live in it without a resupply?

Tell us about your off-road trips.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ron,
Little experience beyond distant juvenile memories of camping out in the back of an old Land Rover defender here... but I do very much like the post dystopian combat ready look of this one... I’d definitely go there.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Check out Airstream Atlas....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
In the midst of the global virus pandemic who among us has not imagined bugging out in an off-road capable 4 wheel drive expedition vehicle of some kind?

EarthRoamer makes huge globe-trotting over-landing vehicles, but I doubt I would last a day driving one of those behemoths before I accidentally rolled over a row of tract houses. Something the size of an Amazon delivery van -- the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter -- looks more manageable.

TouRig, of Colorado, USA, modifies a 2WD Sprinter van into a self-contained, solar-powered, lifted, off-road capable, 4WD Sprinter you can live in. It has a full kitchen and a toilet and a shower.

View attachment 69243

Tell us about your overlanding vehicle. For how many days can you live in it without a resupply?

Surely the Bruce Banner model should only come in green?

Reactions: bazelio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes...but does it have a separate, isolated battery supply for the sound system? I mean...C'MON!!!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
9,000 km since end of June, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Holland

4 days independent is possible, then water is needed

Camperêve Magellan 643 Limited with separate shower and WC enclosures :)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I'd definitely avoid the EarthRoamer--a good friend bought one of the biggest most fitted out versions for touring/etc--he had nothing but trouble with it-the service was poor and the thing stood idle in his warehouse for ages. I've been it it --the windage was very noticeable and it handled rather weird . Not a pleasant vehicle to drive. The straw that broke the Camels back was when it snapped a rear axel on trip --they could not get it out of the ditch as there was no tow vehicle strong enough in the vicinity.

The thing was sold off for a huge loss--:(

Caveat Emptor

BruceD

That Tourig BB looks the part alright!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
What you really want is an “earthroamer”: earthRoamer.com

240CEBFF-1D8C-4D1F-8355-92061D2B1767.jpeg

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
The Benz is nice, the Airstream useless for boondocking. If its not four-wheel drive and lifted the places you can go will be limited to asphalt or tame dirt roads.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Or Globalxvehicles.com:

635B71D9-52D4-4693-89CA-021C49EF8A9F.jpeg

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I'd definitely avoid the EarthRoamer--a good friend bought one of the biggest most fitted out versions for touring/etc--he had nothing but trouble with it-the service was poor and the thing stood idle in his warehouse for ages. I've been it it --the windage was very noticeable and it handled rather weird . Not a pleasant vehicle to drive. The straw that broke the Camels back was when it snapped a rear axel on trip --they could not get it out of the ditch as there was no tow vehicle strong enough in the vicinity.

The thing was sold off for a huge loss--:(

Caveat Emptor

BruceD

That Tourig BB looks the part alright!

Didn’t catch your post before mine. Yes, getting a proven rig on a real chassis super important.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

View attachment 69243

Beautiful car. Looks very rugged And build to last.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing