Palmer 2.5 TT

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
I do not know if many people have any experience of this TT. It seems to be one of a small group that punch above their weight. Another that springs to mind is the Artemis Labs. interestingly they both are no longer made (I think), whilst the DP and the Nordic Labs are. The Palmer was supported in the US by Gene Rubin and the AL was a F Schroder design.

This group seems to eschew the use of unobtainable materials, complex technology, massive oil drums and hydraulic pistons. Relying on basic understanding of materials and the design principles of the TT. Producing 'elegant design' that is the aim of all mathematics. I have a feeling that the reputation of the Palmer rests mainly on the design and composition of the plinth (as with the Artemis Labs); the management of the three key basic but complicated factors of plinth stiffness, mass and damping.

Anyway the point about all of this is to obtain some views from people who have some experience of these decks (especially the Palmer). Most of them are sensibly priced and, if most of the comments are to be believed deliver outstanding performance.

Peter

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I do not know if many people have any experience of this TT. It seems to be one of a small group that punch above their weight. Another that springs to mind is the Artemis Labs. interestingly they both are no longer made (I think), whilst the DP and the Nordic Labs are. The Palmer was supported in the US by Gene Rubin and the AL was a F Schroder design.

This group seems to eschew the use of unobtainable materials, complex technology, massive oil drums and hydraulic pistons. Relying on basic understanding of materials and the design principles of the TT. Producing 'elegant design' that is the aim of all mathematics. I have a feeling that the reputation of the Palmer rests mainly on the design and composition of the plinth (as with the Artemis Labs); the management of the three key basic but complicated factors of plinth stiffness, mass and damping.

Anyway the point about all of this is to obtain some views from people who have some experience of these decks (especially the Palmer). Most of them are sensibly priced and, if most of the comments are to be believed deliver outstanding performance.

Peter

I have been wanting to listen to this. Do you know anyone who has it?

The Artemis arm was supposed to be great, does that go for the TT as well?

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
Yes the Artemis has a wooden beam that was designed by Frank. Schroeder and Durand both use wood to manage resonance and avoid ringing through the arm tube.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I'm not sure if the Palmer TT is available anymore, rumour had it that the company folded recently, as for the deck I've heard one a few times, they are based on similar principles to the Tom Fletcher Nottingham Analogue turntables, and they sound similar, sorry can't be of much more help

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Hi Ked

No I do not. I think that one or two guys on the WAM have one and there is a thread confirming that Jon Palmer's company is no longer trading. The same thread mentions that someone is negotiating for the right to manufacture the TT under licence. I guess we will have to wait and see. My interest is in the TT rather than the arm and it seems to get partnered with the Origami arm for some reason.

I have been wanting to listen to this. Do you know anyone who has it?

The Artemis arm was supposed to be great, does that go for the TT as well?

theophile

I was under the impression from something I read recently that the Palmer turntables were rebadged turntables made by a Chinese manufacturer.

perart1

Mar 17, 2012
Cheltenham
Palmer tu ntables

I was under the impression from something I read recently that the Palmer turntables were rebadged turntables made by a Chinese manufacturer.

Hmmm I do not think so. Definitely made by Jon in a workshop in England.

theophile

Yes.. Sorry. My error. I realise that it was Hanss that I was thinking of.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm indeed sorry to hear that.
I met Jon in 2013, and v nearly bought the 2.5, but instead went for a rim drive instead.
A very impressive sound, and drop dead gorgeous aesthetics to boot.
Not easy to exist in such a crowded, competitive marketplace.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing