PAP Trio 15 Horn Modifications

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have been wondering about modifying my speakers. Specifically, changing out the horn driver from a Beyma to a BMS. Attached is a link to the BMS.

Overview (bmsspeakers.com)

It look like a great driver to me. I have already done all sorts of crossover component modifications. What I have not done is pull the crossover components off the board and hard wire them. I hear that is another great gain.

Anyhow, has anyone tried changing the driver and to what effect did it have.

Thanks
Rex

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ze'ev is not the right person to talk to about the driver. There isn't any published information on the stock driver. You have to dig hard to figure out what it is. I tacitly mentioned a BMS or Great Plains to him in the past and he was mildly put off by the question.

But really, what manufacturer wants to discuss how to modify their creation. He at least publishes some baffle builds by others, using his stock drivers and crossover.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Many manufacturers are former diy enthusiasts who have taken their passion to a different level. I would have anticipated that he may have considered/evaluated a variety of options or has acted as a sounding post for others considering changes.

No problem if you feel otherwise however this is very much a niche within an already somewhat minority interest hobby.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I bet he has. But those drivers are 25% the cost of a complete shipped speaker. It would be a big impact to pricing to provide them.

And that could add confusion. Now a $10k speaker. Should I get the $7k when its not as good as the $10k. I bet it's a nightmare or sorts to work out your product/price/target market.

Last edited:

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I have been wondering about modifying my speakers. Specifically, changing out the horn driver from a Beyma to a BMS. Attached is a link to the BMS.

It look like a great driver to me. I have already done all sorts of crossover component modifications. What I have not done is pull the crossover components off the board and hard wire them. I hear that is another great gain.

Thanks
Rex

Why are you upgrading?? The biggest advantage of the new CD is the lower crossover point. The issue with that is you are going to need a horn large enough to take advantage of the lower bandwidth. Not sure where the crossover is with your speakers is but that horn looks to small to support a 300/400Hz crossover point.

Rob :)

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Why are you upgrading?? The biggest advantage of the new CD is the lower crossover point. The issue with that is you are going to need a horn large enough to take advantage of the lower bandwidth. Not sure where the crossover is with your speakers is but that horn looks to small to support a 300/400Hz crossover point.

I don't know its an upgrade. That is still unknown. Could be a big step backwards. The stock crossover is a series topology so I have no way to know the crossover point. But I assume it is around 1200 Hz. I assume the crossover should stop the BMS, or any other compression driver from going to low. But I really don't know how they work.

I guess I am thinking of trying something different, as I assume different drivers voice different. It seems to me regular drivers all have their sonic signature based upon material, magnets, baskets, wire etc. Why wouldn't a compression driver have a voice of its own? I am looking for something that has a more accurate level of playback. I have noticed of recent my classical is beautiful. Yet the strings and horns seem to overshadow instruments such as Harpsicord. When I use my headphones, I notice more details and subtle instrument textures. Could be my room. Anyhow, I wondered what a "higher quality???" Compression driver might bring.

I hear about cable and crossover changes all the time. Not so much drivers. I like what I have going on, but I'm always curious about change. Its a place I have not been.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Change of driver could be fun.

On a more basic note have you ever pulled a driver to see how close the horn throat matches the driver exit? Maybe a little file work to 'port match' ;)

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Change of driver could be fun.

On a more basic note have you ever pulled a driver to see how close the horn throat matches the driver exit? Maybe a little file work to 'port match' ;)
Yes I have. Its a precise fit. I believe the horn is machined by a cnc.

Thinking the spec of the new horn, it is going to throw off my crossover values. It could be hard to dial back in.

Reactions: Solypsa

Mark Seaton

WBF Technical Expert (Speaker & Acoustics)
May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
www.seatonsound.net

Thinking the spec of the new horn, it is going to throw off my crossover values. It could be hard to dial back in.

Unfortunately you can't just make dramatic driver changes and expect the passive crossover to work well, especially when you need to add another crossover for the BMS driver. From the examples I've seen, the PAP crossovers are rather idealist/purist/minimalistic in approach, and not overly concerned with flat power or frequency response. You are likely to gain more with someone skilled going through the crossover with real measurements than the random and unknown change of flavor you will see from swapping drivers. Of course that's very much a custom/DIY effort as compared to changing the type of crossover component.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Thanks
Rex
I don’t BMS an upgrade over Beyma necessarily . If they used one better Beyma drivers it is every bit as good. I have the Beyma CP-755Ti and this is a really great sounding driver mated to an 18 Sound XT1464 horn. I also love the sound of my Beyma CP350TI drivers in Iwata 600 horns. I prefer both to my Radian pb475Be drivers in the same Iwata horns. Could be the Radisns are not ideal in the Iwatas but I don’t have other horns to try for now.

Reactions: Solypsa

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think mine is a CD14ND. But not 100% sure.

Ah then you should upgrade to the CP755Nd driver...much better driver (I use the Fe version that is a much bigger driver overall...the Nd is more compact but otherwise the same). Then it is probably a drop in replacement for what you have (although you would need about 2db more attenuation) with regard to the crossover points.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny

Hello Kingrex

Mark Seaton is giving you very good advice.

Reactions: Mark Seaton

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing