Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Now I have to see it!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
By being nominated they got the shot at the title, and to win it, boy, they deserve it. The judges spoke and this is really a great and enjoyable film from start to finish.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have to mention this: Last year Green Book won Best Picture, and that's very good.
This year Parasite won all 4 major Oscars, and that's very good too.
I wish I could speak and understand South Korean language, that would be even better.

I don't mind reading subtitles; I much prefer that than English or French dubbing.
Some foreign films with important cinematography takes away the art of the visuals @ the expense of reading the subtitles. The Academy voters weren't bothered by that with Parasite, good.

Roma last year (Spanish) had English subtitles.
And Cold War, also from last year (in six different languages) had English subtitles.
These two last films were praised for the excellent cinematography, and for just cause.
Also both were in black and white, and Cold War had a 1.66:1 screen aspect ratio.
By the way the director of Parasite will release a black and white version of Parasite.
...And also on 4K Blu-ray (it's only on DVD and regular Blu-ray right now).

In addition Parasite is playing in theaters full steam, and so is 1917.

A lot of people prefer Parasite much better than any other films in 2019.
A lot of people were also certain that 1917 would win, I included.
But everyone is happy that Parasite won, I included.

Think about it:
• Best International Film
• Best Picture
• Best Director
• Best Original Screenplay

This quad of Oscars cannot be bettered than that. A South Korean film with English subtitles.
My brother went to see it with French dubbing. Ouf!
He went also to see 1917, which he said he liked the sounds and the music, but the film wasn't all that close to the best, but preferred it over Parasite...him and his wife.
Their friends didn't comment (another couple).

My brother and I have different backgrounds; I went to Art school, he went to Social Sciences school. I play music and paint and write and love photography. He loves social challenges, nature and fighting for the rights of his community...100% dedicated.

Everything is awesome. It is right to prefer one speaker over another, nobody can dictate that.
The same with films, with everything in life.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
These South Koreans can flat out write. My wife watches Korean TV shows every night. Subtle unpredictability is their hallmark. I hope to get to see Parasite soon. First they exported their brand of music and musical entertainment now on to film. Very high production values but most of all GREAT WRITING!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
These South Koreans can flat out write. My wife watches Korean TV shows every night. Subtle unpredictability is their hallmark. I hope to get to see Parasite soon. First they exported their brand of music and musical entertainment now on to film. Very high production values but most of all GREAT WRITING!

Jack, my wife has been telling me that for many many years. She got my daughter into it too. They went to Korea together many times. I couldn't sell them my knowledge of 5,000 years of Chinese culture and that is my frustration. But the last Ip Man movie, they finally acknowledged some goodness in my martial arts background. This society is now movie-driven. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
After watching some Youtube videos of post Oscar Parasite 'talks', I realized I missed some scenes, my guess is due to reading the subtitles. Hence my brother was right when he told me he enjoyed it even more after watching it a second time. I'm going to have to do that too. The movie has suspense, comedy and light drama and some very natural acting by all the characters. I think this may be the most enjoyable Oscar Best Picture I have ever seen.

Reactions: Steve Williams

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Very true what you've just said regarding subtitles; our eyes will miss some picture details while reading below, it is inescapable. For some films it is less important, for others I agree that some replays add value. Parasite suits the later, and I can name several other foreign films that also apply.

The best would be to understand all world spoken languages.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
A really good movie exquisitely written and directed. Shame the Academy didn't nominate some of the actors as well. Really enjoyed this movie despite the subtitles.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
That woman that Korean woman spoke during the Best Picture acceptance speech is one of the Samsung heirs, money is not an issue.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
That woman that Korean woman spoke during the Best Picture acceptance speech is one of the Samsung heirs, money is not an issue.

Miky Lee ... no YouTube video of her speech exist, or one but without a direct link to share...it's an ABC link.
But with Twitter we got it ...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-11/miky-lee-oscar-acceptance-parasite/11952790

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02...scars-south-korea-godmother-parasite/11952214

Parasite is the big Oscar winner from the 2020 Academy Awards and it took the audience's support lead by Tom Hanks to let Miky Lee talks.

Edit: I bet Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese and Sam Mendes and Christopher Nolan and Quentin Tarantino, ...they all agree that Parasite was the Best Film of 2019, with the Best Film Director too. The acting was also first rate with a cast who was so much fun watching together interacting onscreen that they should have a category for that next year @ the Oscars (to make it 25).

I'm only less than half serious; its a much better attitude than anything else...accepting the majority votes.

To say that is was a huge upset is a gross understatement.
Next year I'm not watching the Oscars; instead I'll enjoy the films for what they are from anyone with talent and guts and originality and inventiveness and creativity and good essential vitamins for the eyes, the ears, the heart, the brain and the above and beyond conventionalism and conformism and ... all that movie jazz.

The ride was more fun than its destination ... from The Irishman to 1917 to Parasite, and passing thru Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood and taking a small detour with Joker. ...From the mob trenches to the war trenches and to the" bug" trenches of Paradise ... Parasite.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We rented Parasite last evening. We went in knowing nothing about the movie other than the awards it won at this years Oscars. I had heard it was hard to explain what type of movie it was or the genre. It didn't take long following the action to figure out where the title was derived. I found it pretty good save for the ending. it was almost like Quentin Tarantino directed the last 39 minutes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing