Pass XP-20 DB-25 Umbilical upgrade: Has anyone any suggestions on how much of a difference and what brand?

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
Can anyone suggest the differences they have had using an upgraded Umbilical for XP-20 pre? What type? Where to find?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi, I believe it's the DB-25 umbilical mean?
I don't own Pass, but I've just ordered a couple of these for my Nat Audio Utopia preamp <> psu.

The Tubulus Argentus DB-25.

I'll let you know how it differs from my stock Siemens cable.

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
Hi, I believe it's the DB-25 umbilical mean?
I don't own Pass, but I've just ordered a couple of these for my Nat Audio Utopia preamp <> psu.

The Tubulus Argentus DB-25.

I'll let you know how it differs from my stock Siemens cable.
Keep us up to date on your findings if you would?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Will do.
You might want to reach out to Ihmeyer, he's done this very thing, and his positive report is the thing that swung me to go down this route.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Who knows, but it does. When I upgraded the DB-25 on my old Pass XP-20 I was amazed at the improvement. It works so well that Pass upgraded the cable and connector on the XP-22, which replaced the XP-20.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jahatl513.
Typo, sorry,
Ihmeyers is your man.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, believe and anything is possible. Didn't your ma and pa say this to you when you were bright eyed and bushy tailed? Well, when you're a jaded audiophile, tweaks take on this function.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Revelation Audio Labs DB-25 umbilical cord for Pass XP20 and XP25.

http://www.revelationaudiolabs.com/cables-power/#PassageDB-25

Bud's review here: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discuss...n-audio-power-umbilical-for-pass-xp-20-preamp

I used one of these on my XP25 phono stage and it lowered noise so that the preamp seemed to be more revealing. I think dynamics also improved slightly. I upgraded tot he XP27 and then sold the RAL cord to a friend. He uses it on his Pass active crossover. He loves the improvement.

Yes, Pass has improved their umbilical cords with the latest generation of preamps.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, there's been some criticism online that the Revelation doubled in price overnight when the Pass guys started getting interested in upgrading from stock. And some reports that cables have v long lead times.

The Tubulus Argentus DB-25 I've ordered (a pair) is about 60% cheaper than the Revelation, ready within 4 weeks, allied to marvellous customer service.

My system has already gone up a dozen notches in terms of resolution, so any meaningful drop in noise floor when the Tubulus are installed will be easily ascertained.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations, Marc. I hope you find success. I'm sure there are many options.

I was asked to chime in with my own experience, so I did. I no longer have the need for such a product. I shared a link to BlueFox's excellent report in case anyone is interested in reading it. I'm sure the OP will read this thread and appreciate all of the suggestions and information contained herein.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Peter, one great virtue of the forum is hearing of such things and possibly making great discoveries.

I'll know soon if this is one of these opportunities when my DB-25 cables arrive.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Peter, there's been some criticism online that the Revelation doubled in price overnight when the Pass guys started getting interested in upgrading from stock. And some reports that cables have v long lead times.

My system has already gone up a dozen notches in terms of resolution, so any meaningful drop in noise floor when the Tubulus are installed will be easily ascertained.

$800 :eek: Funny how no mainstream cable company sells DB25 cords w/ $15 connectors.

"The umbilical cable upgrade far surpasses the performance enhancement of a complete component replacement." - uh, sure mate.

All this black background, reducing the noise floor, etc. is usually subtractive in other ways but that's just me (I'm more from the ddk school as you know).

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I've never made any claims for tweaks outweighing component changes. But as someone very happy w the sonic signature of my SET/FRD presentation, my mindset is to maximise this via optimisation, not brand new amps and spkrs. Hence these cables.

And FWIW, Ching Cheng cables aren't exactly chump change either. I'd be more impressed w the anti tweaks brigade if they kitted up w Cheap As Chips $5 power cords from the local high street generic store.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good answer LOL. I thought there was an extra zero in there.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have the Revelation cable on my Pass XP20. When I installed it, I experienced better detail in the soundstage via instrument separation and placement.

I’m guessing the Revelation cable shields external noise better on the power supplies it is connecting, which provides the audible benefits.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jimmy, my pair arrives next week. Hoping for some of your gains.

Did you get out of the box improvements or was bedding in needed?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing