Pass XP-22 broke last night

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
So, I have the time between Xmas and New Year off, and last night I was taking advantage of that and enjoying the stereo on a weeknight, when the left speaker started popping. A loud popping also. I turned the volume way down, but that didn’t help, so I shut the amps off. I was thinking it was the left amp going bad, but this morning I swapped the preamp output cables, and the popping went to the right speaker.

Whew. Boxing up the preamp is a lot easier than a 125 lb amp. :)

Today I reinstalled my Cambridge Audio 840E preamp, and it’s been playing fine since this afternoon. Since it has been idle for 4-5 years I was a bit nervous, but so far so good. I am a little disappointed the Pass broke, but at least I have music till it is returned.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hi Bluefox,

I had a similar experience just after I had taken delivery of my new XP22 and XP27.

Besides my notification to the Greek dealer, I had contacted Nelson Pass and Desmond, I had sent them a video too.

Immediately they had new units shipped

They will take care of you for sure

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
So, I have the time between Xmas and New Year off, and last night I was taking advantage of that and enjoying the stereo on a weeknight, when the left speaker started popping. A loud popping also. I turned the volume way down, but that didn’t help, so I shut the amps off. I was thinking it was the left amp going bad, but this morning I swapped the preamp output cables, and the popping went to the right speaker.

Whew. Boxing up the preamp is a lot easier than a 125 lb amp. :)

Today I reinstalled my Cambridge Audio 840E preamp, and it’s been playing fine since this afternoon. Since it has been idle for 4-5 years I was a bit nervous, but so far so good. I am a little disappointed the Pass broke, but at least I have music till it is returned.

Sorry to hear of the mid holiday gear issues Bud but yes, a wayward preamp sounds like a MUCH better outcome than having a big wayward amp.

Great that the Cambridge pre is there for a backup... I now have a strategy of having at least two of everything that is essential... pairs of speakers, amp, preamp, source, cartons of wine, espresso machines etc... good to hear the tunes will still flow into the New Year for you. Hope they get your pre back on the road soon.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Sorry to hear of the mid holiday gear issues Bud but yes, a wayward preamp sounds like a MUCH better outcome than having a big wayward amp.

Great that the Cambridge pre is there for a backup... I now have a strategy of having at least two of everything that is essential... pairs of speakers, amp, preamp, source, cartons of wine, espresso machines etc... good to hear the tunes will still flow into the New Year for you. Hope they get your pre back on the road soon.

I am the same way. Except for a car, I have backups for all ‘essential’ items. :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I haven't heard anything yet from Pass. I guess I will contact them this week.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
One of the most responsive and reputable companies!

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Got word today (Friday) that it shipped, and I will get it tomorrow. While I have really enjoyed listening to my spare Cambridge Audio 840E preamp, I am ready to get serious again.

Tomorrow I will clean the rack and house so that the XP-22 will feel welcomed. :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Installed the repaired XP-22 around 2 this afternoon, and it has been playing since then with no issues. So, it appears to be fixed. It really is sounding good, especially because while it was gone I upgraded the power supply on my Lumin S1 to the X1 power supply. Now I have to drink beer and listen to it all night to really verify it is working as expected. :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
It has been on since last Saturday, and no popping or other noises. It should sound really good this Friday night.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I love my XP-22. I have had it close to two years, so my memory of the XP-20 is foggy. I was using a third party umbilical cable on my XP-20, and that really improved its performance. The XP-22 replaced the cheapo umbilical on the XP-20 with a much better cable with better connectors. All in all, the XP-22 is a good improvement over the XP-20.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
As a former owner of both XP20 and later of XP22, I can say that I can clearly remember that the XP22 was a significant improvement

jahatl513

Jan 1, 2019
Atlanta, Ga
I purchased the XP22 instead of investing more $$ into the XP20 with a new umbilical. So far after a week or more. I'd have to say the XP-22's subtle differences are spectacular so far.

Audiojem

Jan 13, 2019
Blue Fox
Did Pass Labs tell you what the problem was and what needed to be done to repair it?Thanks
AJ

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
No, and I didn't ask. It has been on almost two weeks now, and sounds great.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
No, but it has been working great since then, and it is always powered on; 24/7.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
While looking for another thread, I found this one. Three years later and the XP-22 is working fine. Listening to it now, and the system sounds great. I have to admit time flies. Where did the years go?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing