Paul Simon - Graceland

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
when i was a kid my dad used to play this record and it sounded great and i have fond memories listening to it with him

recently my dad was over at my house and i ordered a couple of Paul Simon records to use on my system. The Graceland record turned up first and ive got to say it sounds so bad on my system ( which is very very good) that it almost reached the point of not being able too listen to it

i called my TT technician to discuss why it sounded to so bad and he said that those records in the early 80's are all just awful

does anyone have a version of Graceland that actually sounds good?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
when i was a kid my dad used to play this record and it sounded great and i have fond memories listening to it with him

recently my dad was over at my house and i ordered a couple of Paul Simon records to use on my system. The Graceland record turned up first and ive got to say it sounds so bad on my system ( which is very very good) that it almost reached the point of not being able too listen to it

i called my TT technician to discuss why it sounded to so bad and he said that those records in the early 80's are all just awful

I have the US Warner Brothers original and the 25th Anniversary edition. Both sound fine, I prefer the original, the anniversary edition is a bit too over done. There were a bazillion different country specific versions released. Check your catalog nbr. on discogs.com. If other records sound okay, it's probably not your turntable.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
I have the US Warner Brothers original and the 25th Anniversary edition. Both sound fine, I prefer the original, the anniversary edition is a bit too over done. There were a bazillion different country specific versions released. Check your catalog nbr. on discogs.com. If other records sound okay, it's probably not your turntable.
thx Tima ..... other records sound great

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
FYI Roy Halle is an audiophile ( i hope he is alive and well) but I haven't seen or talked with him in many many years. Back in the day at Lyric Roy used to come in regularly and we listened to lacquers of Graceland for months on end. He cared about his work and what the final result sounded like. I don't have a TT nor do I play records any longer but my memories are the original record had pretty decent sound.
I think your TT guys statement is total BS ( just my two cents)
FYI he owned Infinity IRS, Wilson Watt puppies, ARC , MLAS , Goldmund Turntable etc

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Agree with Elliot. Graceland is a well done pop record. Check your setup. You may have a bad pressing, but I have the original and a reissue, no issues.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Not a bad sounding recording(86 original pressing), but as my system improved the early digital signature shines trough. Same for the later Police and Dire Straits recordings, early ones sound great, the later ones not so much ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
i have a safety master of Graceland. 15ips 2 track. Sounds quite fine to my ears, even with its partially digital origin.

Larry

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have praised Graceland because it sounded great on big Magnepanar Tympani 's and Apogee Duetta's - the bass was nicely balanced for panels and his is a key point for the album.

I only own the original LP since long and curiously I was not aware of its digital mixing - just saw it. But was disappointed by what I found about the pseudo HiRez version:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/13771-graceland-2496/

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Discogs shows 260+ different versions of Graceland, from 1986 to just a few years ago. LP, cass, CD, download. Larry

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
Discogs shows 260+ different versions of Graceland, from 1986 to just a few years ago. LP, cass, CD, download. Larry
Exactly, that's why it's good to reference which pressing is being commented about. Same goes to other popular pressings like Pink Floyd stuff etc...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
this is the pressing i got -

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Simon-Graceland/release/1719389.... its a 1986 Greek pressing..... hopefully i don't offend any of the Greeks reading :)

Graceland was made by different manufacturers. Consider this:

Greece
Made By – G.P.I. S.A.
Lacquer Cut At – G.P.I. S.A. – W581
Pressed By Record Service Alsdorf

Europe & UK
925 447-1
Made in Germany

US
1-25447
Manufactured by Columbia House Under License
- this is my best copy

You might want to try an edition different than the one you have, made somewhere else.
If the record was poor sounding across the world it would not have become the hit that it was.

I also like the album that followed Graceland
Paul Simon The Thythm of the Saints Warner Bros 9-26098-1.jpg
The Rhythm of the Saints
Warner Bros. 9-26098-1

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

A excellent album. I to used to listen to my dads system spinning this great album.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Graceland was made by different manufacturers. Consider this:

Greece
Made By – G.P.I. S.A.
Lacquer Cut At – G.P.I. S.A. – W581
Pressed By Record Service Alsdorf

Europe & UK
925 447-1
Made in Germany

US
1-25447
Manufactured by Columbia House Under License
- this is my best copy

You might want to try an edition different than the one you have, made somewhere else.
If the record was poor sounding across the world it would not have become the hit that it was.

I also like the album that followed Graceland
View attachment 79041
The Rhythm of the Saints
Warner Bros. 9-26098-1
I love "The Rhythm of the Saints ! "Concert in the Park" is a great sounding album too, even with its digital origin. But my favorite is "Live Rhymin' " the first time he embraced "world music' with the South American group "Urubamba" also known as "Los Incas". "Live Rhymin'" with it's all analog live recorded sound was probably the album that made me realize how much "spooky, in the room" sound was possible with a good stereo system ! :) 90F33CA6-758D-4220-A800-EF0CEB3AB27D.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing