PBN Montana Hadley

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
Hello to everyone.
I just wondered if anyone here has heard these loudspeakers? Are they worth buying in your opinion?
Any advice or info around these from personal experi would be highly appreciated:)

https://pbnaudio.com/hadley/

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
"The Hadley is a dynamic five-driver, three-way loudspeaker featuring four 10” " Hmmm. There is a mid-range driver and a tweeter in addition to 4 10" active woofers in compound (isobaric) loading. Adds up to 6 by my arithmetic.

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
I previousley owned the Montana EPS2, which was a fantastic speaker, then I got Revel Ultima Studio, which was a little bit better, but now I have the chance for a pair of Hadleys, very good price. One should think that for 20-23 000$ it should be one hell of a loudspeaker. I have heard the Dynaudio tweeter they use, which is fantastic, and those Egyptian midrange drivers sounds interesting

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I've had several PBN speakers and currently own the 2!5. I've heard the Hadleys and think they are fantastic. The combination of the unique midrange and Dynaudio speaker delivers excellent life size imaging.

Reactions: Folsom

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
Thank you , thats very nice to hear and sounds promising. Did they feel seamless in the transitions and how was the bass in them? Do you personally think they are worth a buy?... can get them for 8000 $

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thank you , thats very nice to hear and sounds promising. Did they feel seamless in the transitions and how was the bass in them? Do you personally think they are worth a buy?... can get them for 8000 $

For $8K they are a steal. The quad bass system provides deep tuneful lows.

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
Thanks:) Your answers made it a little easier to make a decision, will most probably go for them. Take care:)

Reactions: jeff1225

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
I like that they are using an isobaric design for the woofers. You don't see that too much anymore.
Besides lowering the box size for the same bass output, the trapped air between the woofers acts to stiffen the cone. And it also tends to cancel out nonlinearities in the drivers.

I can't speak to the Egyption papyrus mids that they are using, but I have a pair of very high end DIY speakers I built using SB Acoustics Egyption papyrus mids, and they are extremely neutral sounding drivers.

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
I like that they are using an isobaric design for the woofers. You don't see that too much anymore.
Besides lowering the box size for the same bass output, the trapped air between the woofers acts to stiffen the cone. And it also tends to cancel out nonlinearities in the drivers.

I can't speak to the Egyption papyrus mids that they are using, but I have a pair of very high end DIY speakers I built using SB Acoustics Egyption papyrus mids, and they are extremely neutral sounding drivers.
Full disclosure, I'm a PBN fan and have owned 4 of his speakers.
What is the Hadley's sensitivity?
Thanks everyone, for responses:) I like Isobaric designs to, although they get a little harder to handle by an amp. I have a couple of Devialet 400 monoblocks and some old NPM Counterpoint monoblocks, so either of them will be fine I guess.
I owned the EPS2, quite good ones and I really liked them, but should think the Hadleys are a bit better and more "sophisticated".
Regarding sensitivity, it did not say on their homepage, but asked Peter in mail just now, so hopefully he can enlighten me there.

jeffrey_t , which PBNs have you owned:)?
May be thoughts on it, but are they a little underrated, some underdog?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks everyone, for responses:) I like Isobaric designs to, although they get a little harder to handle by an amp. I have a couple of Devialet 400 monoblocks and some old NPM Counterpoint monoblocks, so either of them will be fine I guess.
I owned the EPS2, quite good ones and I really liked them, but should think the Hadleys are a bit better and more "sophisticated".
Regarding sensitivity, it did not say on their homepage, but asked Peter in mail just now, so hopefully he can enlighten me there.

jeffrey_t , which PBNs have you owned:)?
May be thoughts on it, but are they a little underrated, some underdog?
I have owned the SPX, EPS2, Quintessence Stealth (made by PBN) and finally a custom version of 2!5. The SPX was sold to my cousin and my dad now has the EPS2's. My dad listens to classical music through the EPS2's every Sunday, he's happy as a clam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
The EPS 2 are wonderful and very good speakers, and they integrate extremely well in mostly all rooms and the drivers blend seamlesly together..one of the loudspeakers I regret to have sold, but thats how it goes sometimes:) Your father has good taste:)

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
I got the speakers, actually for 7000$ :)
They will be delivered this upcoming sunday, the owner owns a freight company and shipped them without charge..Wow! They will be tough to handle though, 116 kg each speaker, so its a heavy beast..Looking forward to this :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing