Personal Stereo Forum

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would humbly request of the administration and fellow members that a personal stereo forum be created. This would cover:
Headphones
Earbuds
Dacs/Streamers
Smartphomes/Computers/Laptops
Music services e.g Tidal, Pandora,Qobuz et al.

There is no substitutefor a full blown traditional stereo system. However as systems become larger and more expensive there is an alternative.
Heaphome and earbuds are less expensive, occupy less space and provide privacy in a shared living or multi dwelling unit.
Music services provide a significant quality library while saving money and space
Personal days are dealing in size and price while increasing in quality. Usually they can occupy a desk top.
The quality of music services is amazing. As is the size and variety of the content.
To be sure there is space to place these products currently. IMO it would be better to place them in one section.
I think this represents the future. It is an opportunity to enlist a different class of members.
What do you think?

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Great idea. I travel a lot and have recently been thinking about investing in some really decent portable gear

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Bose and Sony make great noise canceling headphones. Black Friday deals abound. IFi aidio hip dac2 is great.
The good news is the field is exploding.
I have no industry affiliation.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I myself own an AVR that is Bluetooth and Spotify enabled. I am not sure i considered that.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My headphone amp has a monstrous 3 wpc.
I have also heard some Berning clones with less than 10wpc. Excellent.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
About a year ago I designed a little 5 watt/channel integrated amplifier. I had several goals- first that it not be able to get in trouble if a power tube failed in spectacular manner. 2nd that it have a foot print smaller than a sheet of notebook paper. Finally that it is built to 'high end audio' standards.

The amp was meant to be either a desktop, bedroom or headphone integrated amplifier.

I was perfectly happy to look at lower powered amps. But most that I saw that were this small with similar power were also inexpensive, built mostly in China and mostly with mediocre parts. Amps built with better construction were a lot more expensive and way too big! That is why I designed my own. It uses a pair of EL95 pentode power tubes, which use a 7-pin miniature socket, and one 12AT7 as the voltage amplifier and driver circuit. The EL95 was meant to be very easy to drive. I am running them class A and ultralinear. The 12AT7 is a differential amplifier, with one grid being the input and the other being the feedback input. The circuit was so linear that no feedback was needed. I do use it though but only to reduce excess gain. The amp is integrated and so has a volume control and two inputs.

The amp took about 2 weeks to break in. It might be that I designed it from the ground up and it worked perfectly as soon as the last solderjoint was made; whatever the reason I got a lot of satisfaction out of putting this stereo together. I really like small systems for some reason. I like them a lot more when they provide sound as good as any true high end system. Maybe another part of the fun is that this system is really inexpensive too.

I used small, older KLH speakers from the 1960s for the mains and a subwoofer to handle the bass that the KLHs simply can't make. I often play the amp at bedtime and have gone to sleep with it playing many times. I doubt its ever made more than a watt during these times but its plenty loud enough despite the KLHs not being particularly efficient. I am on the hunt for a newer set of speakers to replace the KLHs, but I really like the mid-century styling of the KLHs. I suspect a newer set of speakers could be more detailed.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I am on the hunt for a newer set of speakers to replace the KLHs

DLK 1½ :D

Have you sold many of the ($3.3K in '14 TAS) 30 watt amps? Came across this last night so it's timely you mentioning an interest in building smaller components the market doesn't offer.

Might have looked into your activities if they came anywhere near the level of intrigue of guy mentioned above and how his activities tie into Best Buy.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
DLK 1½ :D

Have you sold many of the ($3.3K in '14 TAS) 30 watt amps? Came across this last night so it's timely you mentioning an interest in building smaller components the market doesn't offer.

Might have looked into your activities if they came anywhere near the level of intrigue of guy mentioned above and how his activities tie into Best Buy.
If I get a new set of speakers, they need to be smaller than that. Part of the reason for looking at newer speakers is to get less breakups so they will sound smoother. The tweeter in the DLK is not a particularly pleasant device...

If you are referring to our S-30 they have been popular since the pandemic began.

Reactions: rando

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ralph as magnificent as the Stax SR9 sounds when paired woth a garden variety tube amp, i can only dream about how it would sound like with an all out Amosphere head amp.
Are there any plans for such a beast?

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
We've played with a variety of circuits. So far the little 5 Watt amp has worked out to be the most practical. When I started that project, it made no sense to make only one chassis- it was nearly the same cost to make ten. Its quiet enough that it works fine with most headphones. Not sure if 5 watts is enough power though.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am currently using the Sennheoser HD 800s. The iFi Audio Diablo is capable of blasting my eardrums. The Xduoo TA30 drives them with ease. I would think five watts is sufficient.
It this yeas CAF L.T.A. were driving full range loudspeakers with 2-10 watts.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
WHAT HI FI
Personal Stereo has Progressed So Much, I would chose it over a traditional Stereo System

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There does not seem to be much support for such a forum. I like find a forum to stick. It in. Like the frugal or newbie forum.
Here is why it is important. It just seers the average person is listening to music over thier mobile devic. That is with a horrible little dac and speaker. I'm my mind as the hardware goes so goes the software. If the hardware socks so does the software.
I want high quality music from mainstream artists. Audiophiles have little influence over that. My thought if you increase the quality of of software.
For example Spotofy just upped it's game.

Last edited:

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Here is why it is important. It just seers the average person is listening to music over thier mobile devic. That is with a horrible little dac and speaker. I'm my mind as the hardware goes so goes the software.
Topping makes a great lineup of inexpensive high quality DACs. I'm using the E30 in my bedroom system- its smooth and detailed- and in particular not bright or dark. I've seen it eat $4000 DACs for breakfast, and it only costs $125.00 on eBay (last I looked a year and a half ago).

I've always maintained that high end audio is about intention rather than cost and this seems to be a good example. In some ways it seems about getting the word out which is a very different issue!

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Yes, a personal stereo sub-forum would be nice. I still use personal stereo and amp on my commute to and from work.

DC2 & P 51 Mustang.jpg

Walkman & Cassettes.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ralph you forgot to name that tune. E30 id's without a brand name.
I am about to gift my iFi Audio Go-Blue paired to Sony WH 1000 Mk 4 to a non- audiophile. I want to see if she will actually use it
Edit
Sorry you did give the brand name -Topping. My bad.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
We've played with a variety of circuits. So far the little 5 Watt amp has worked out to be the most practical. When I started that project, it made no sense to make only one chassis- it was nearly the same cost to make ten. Its quiet enough that it works fine with most headphones. Not sure if 5 watts is enough power though.

How 'bout the 'Atma-Sphery'. Please don't put and 'i-' in its name.

Reactions: Atmasphere

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing