Pilium vs Magico

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I’m now running Pilium full loom to pair with Magico S5 MK2.
7BFEA07D-C096-4A77-A274-48223077FACD.jpeg
The big fat box in the front is Pilium Archilles. 300W @ 8?, 600W @ 4?, 1200W @ 2? (1 Ohm stable).
F92079FB-CCF9-4EA3-8699-7BCB4152BB8D.jpeg

The top silver box is Pilium Ares pre amp. One wise people told me all the liquid sound is because of this preamp, which Pilium probably add special sauce to it.

0A20A504-9AC8-4DA9-B19E-9F75D19CEB17.jpeg

And the black one underneath is the Pilium Elektra Dac. The first dac make me understand how much a dac can improve the sound. Mix and match is the new trend so I bought a black one for my system.

C1B4F44A-CB55-4E4F-9146-870346D258DF.jpeg

Pilium is a very new and young brand, but they know how to do things right and have truely high end products. More and more audiophiles started to hear about this brand.

Although Magico doesn’t really need a lot of watts, but it’s hungry for current to completely drive it. With Pilium system I heard the deep and clean bass with lots of textures.

Last edited:

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Other components in my system contains the following:

Streamer: Auralic G1
Network router: Renolabs
Accuphase CDP 700 but not spinning that much nowadays.
Taoc ASR III racks.
SC: Stealth MLT
IC: PAD Neptune and Kubala Sosna Emotions
USB: PAD 30LE
PC: PAD Neptune

6C4A01F8-2DC0-4076-9969-31B131D8B71D.jpeg

Last edited:

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Pictures when they just arrived at home. Flight cases are awesome for transportation. Each components are heavy, built as a tank, no joke. Even the pre amp or dac are preferred to be a two man’s job (over 30kg each). The amp requires three people to lift and install as it’s over 100kg.
948E41AD-57C8-4991-B4F6-9D6B3A29E187.jpeg
EBE64508-3C79-47F9-A867-6EAFFAEC281D.jpeg
4DE37564-CF9E-4B17-A0FC-C733FA00B0B6.jpeg

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I must go on record as saying yes I know flight cases and metal remotes have nothing to do with the sound. But it does show a serious commitment and I love it! Those blue flight cases are awesome!

Reactions: TDX

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
View attachment 82619
The big fat box in the front is Pilium Archilles. 300W @ 8?, 600W @ 4?, 1200W @ 2? (1 Ohm stable).
View attachment 82622

The top silver box is Pilium Ares pre amp. One wise people told me all the liquid sound is because of this preamp, which Pilium probably add special sauce to it.

View attachment 82621

And the black one underneath is the Pilium Elektra Dac. The first dac make me understand how much a dac can improve the sound. Mix and match is the new trend so I bought a black one for my system.

View attachment 82623

Pilium is a very new and young brand, but they know how to do things right and have truely high end products. More and more audiophiles started to hear about this brand.

Although Magico doesn’t really need a lot of watts, but it’s hungry for current to completely drive it. With Pilium system I heard the deep and clean bass with lots of textures.
Beautiful setup.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Nice setup. Congrats on your new amp!

What was your previous amplifier and what improvement do you gain from this pilium setup?
I am in search of new power amplifier and pilium is in my short list. Thanks!

TDX

Jan 14, 2020

What was your previous amplifier and what improvement do you gain from this pilium setup?
Gryphon Pandora + PassLabs 260.8 + Accuphase CD/DAC.
Pass System.jpeg

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

TDX

Jan 14, 2020

The previous system is nice, sweet and relaxing. So great for some Jazz and Vocal. The Pilium system is more neutral, very fast (PRAT), better dynamic and a lot more resolutions. The sound stage is pin pointed even in my small room I can hear sound from different distance. The bass area is improved by miles.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Congratulations on a fantastic system!

I also love the flight cases.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Congratulations!
I hear eery new day new very positive stories regarding Pilium i will got mine next month..

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Stibi

Aug 22, 2021
View attachment 82619
View attachment 82622

View attachment 82621

View attachment 82623

Great system, congratulations!
I noticed your speakers are quite toed in. I used to have the S5 MK1 and for me they sounded best with very very little toe in. Just then they disappeared and I was not able to hear every speaker. They were probably the most enjoyable speakers I ever had and I can just imagine how the MK2s sound with the Pilium gear.

Reactions: brodricj

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Great system, congratulations!
I noticed your speakers are quite toed in. I used to have the S5 MK1 and for me they sounded best with very very little toe in. Just then they disappeared and I was not able to hear every speaker. They were probably the most enjoyable speakers I ever had and I can just imagine how the MK2s sound with the Pilium gear.
Thank you. I played with toe in before and found the current setup has more focus and speakers are disappeared better. Could be the room and distance from where I sit.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
wow, awesome stuff, a design is little cold but the sound matters, enjoy it

GuyB

May 16, 2019
A new photo of the room. I should have a fixed screen installed next eeek to enjoy some movie time! View attachment 94699
Congratulations on your system! By the way, why do you position the preamp on the amp and not on the empty rack?

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
A new photo of the room. I should have a fixed screen installed next eeek to enjoy some movie time! View attachment 94699
Look awesome mate. I got double switches from Renolabs.
Congratulations on your system! By the way, why do you position the preamp on the amp and not on the empty rack?
Thanks Guy. It looks cool to me that’s all. They are now on the rack. Just part of the fun to move things around.

Reactions: GuyB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing