Pimped out Premier or Lampi Pacific?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Keith, I REALLY think you hit the nail on the head with this one.

Saying that they prefer this or that or they know someone that prefers something or something else is as bad as "snake-oil" to me. I personally only care about what I think when I hear something and if it works for me. I could care less what anyone else thinks about comparisons.

Then add in that whatever someone else likes in a completely different room, different system, different ears/brain etc......geezzzzz.

True. But so many of us know it and forget it.

Reactions: Rhapsody

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
That was exactly what I said. Wouldn't you agree that in a proper decision making purchase that comparisons in one's system is essential and that the purchase is only indicative of what pleases them more in their system. No one IMO is saying anything more. Further the OP in this thread begs comparison so where's the problem?

Agree completely. Frankly this is one of the things preventing me from buying an Extreme, the other being the cost. I can’t commit to a $25k purchase before hearing it in my system. Hearing it in someone else’s system or at a show are meaningless data points for me.

Reactions: ctydwn

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Agree completely. Frankly this is one of the things preventing me from buying an Extreme, the other being the cost. I can’t commit to a $25k purchase before hearing it in my system. Hearing it in someone else’s system or at a show are meaningless data points for me.

Interesting. IMHO the Extreme is a case where many people have bought it without listening - there is no distribution or dealership. I got mine without previous listening, mainly because Emile properly answered my tricky technical questions in WBF but also on opinions of WBF members I follow.

Reactions: ctydwn

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
And I don't have any single minded passion. I have been here supporting apogee scintilla, YG, Zellaton, Mike's SS room, Lampi with audionet, dagostino, and horns. MSB select is just not in the Lampi class does not make me single minded

no doubt you appreciate a wide array of systems and gear. absolutely.

but then in another breath you seem ignorant of that admirable understanding.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
so lazy, stupid, or wrong.:rolleyes:

Either way Mike, the MSB is not going to better the Lampi in shootouts, better people just buy without exploring and feel happy with the purchase.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I totally disagree. These are merely different approaches to the answer posed in the OP. People hear differently and have different systems. I think the answers here reflect that.There is no one voting what to have for lunch. Plus i was showing that my experience with Lampi has been totally seamless with zero issues

Steve,

I expected that people would know the second part of the quote and would understand I was not addressing meals ... ;) Perhaps I should have quoted in full:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Interesting. IMHO the Extreme is a case where many people have bought it without listening - there is no distribution or dealership. I got mine without previous listening, mainly because Emile properly answered my tricky technical questions in WBF but also on opinions of WBF members I follow.

I have no doubt it that it is great. But, I have spent a lot of time and effort in building and tweaking my own server. I would feel better hearing how great it is before committing.

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Kedar, I have read and tolerated your insults for a long time about me and my Boston friends and our respective system choices. This is another one of those rude comments. Why make them and be so insulting?
I agree.
ked, we know you are passionate but it does not give you leave to insult other members and their opinions Please stop

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar, I have read and tolerated your insults for a long time about me and my Boston friends and our respective system choices. This is another one of those rude comments. Why make them and be so insulting?

Sorry who insulted you guys? Micro mentioned wolves and sheep, so I said donkeys

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Sorry who insulted you guys? Micro mentioned wolves and sheep, so I said donkeys
Ked

please stop. I find that most of your knee jerk posts are triggered by something micro posts and for me, he as well as everyone else is entitled to their opinions without fear of being verbally assaulted.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
This is not correct at all, except for Mike I do not anyone who has done a compare and chosen so

I’m fairly certain the guy who runs the Audioshark site prefers the MSB to the Lampizator Pacific.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

djsina2

May 30, 2019
He is a dealer

Yes, an open minded dealer. Wasn’t he a dealer for both? I believe his Lampizator Pacific had issues. I know one guy who’s had two Lampizator products and both had noise issues. No skin in the game and I don’t do digital, but it’s not as cut and dry as you make it. There are many posts on forums about Lampizator QC.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
Yes, an open minded dealer. Wasn’t he a dealer for both? I believe his Lampizator Pacific had issues. I know one guy who’s had two Lampizator products and both had noise issues. No skin in the game and I don’t do digital, but it’s not as cut and dry as you make it. There are many posts on forums about Lampizator QC.
I believe he was dealer for both. He experienced problems on most or all his Lampizators so dropped the line.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i agree he is an open minded dealer but margins on the two products are radically different. The dacs and the tubes for servicing for the lower margin product are from across the continent. How many dealers are there in the US? At least based on the forum, the large sales come from the distributor, which is what I would expect for a product that has lower margins to the dealer.

I certainly think dCS and MSB are much more lucrative for dealers to sell.

There are tons of people on all forums who have had great service. Some of them had issues, but they stayed because of the sonics and the service. I had a couple of friends who were furious when the dac failed, yet it was serviced free, and when it came back, they were in love. And then it stayed without issues

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
A product line that fails for 100% of your customers is indeed not very lucrative for a dealer, you got that part right.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
100% :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing