Plan To Split California Into Six States Closer To Reality

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This has been mumbled about for years.I'm from Southern California but previously the Bay Area for 20 years. What do you guys think?

Forbes

Thanks to the signatures of more than 807,000 concerned Californians, an ambitious idea has moved that much closer to becoming a reality. The “Six Californias” Initiative, sponsored by Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper, seeks to create areas that are more governable, more productive, and more successful. As I wrote in this column back in February, the initiative would achieve the triumvirate goal of proportionately distributing California’s debts based on population, ending all tax collections and spending by the existing State of California, and creating new, more representative governments with the ability to enact public policies that make the most sense for the new state.

What some cynically called a “publicity stunt” will now be a question on the November 2016 ballot, and California voters would do well to take a close look at the potential advantages created by “Six Californias.” Based on analysis of nearly two decades’ worth of IRS taxpayer data, as well as data from the United States Census Bureau, we find that four of the six proposed new states would gain both net adjusted gross income and population. In fact, and contrary to scare-tactic claims by liberal media outlets, the new state of Central California (which would encompass the bankrupt cities of Stockton and Bakersfield) would see a net gain in AGI ($1.36 billion) and population (49,021 taxpayers).

The appeal of the “Six States” Initiative also lies in its allowance for governments that are smaller, and thereby more efficient and closer to their constituents. The new, individual states would share a number of common characteristics – including socioeconomic backgrounds, legislative needs, and political affiliation – thereby giving elected officials greater knowledge of what their constituents want and need.

Draper, a registered independent who has built a career on smart risk-taking and startup investing, views California as a borderline “failed state” with “the worst-managed government in the country.” Earlier this year, he raised an important point on the American Public Media program Marketplace, stating that California pays the most for education but ranks a dismal 46th in student test scores as measured by the U.S. Department of Education. This fact alone should alarm California taxpayers, whose top marginal state income tax rate is the highest in the nation, at 13.3 percent. Compare that to Texas, which levies no personal income tax on its residents, yet provides far superior educational outcomes. (By way of comparison: Texas students’ test scores are 29th highest out of 50, compared to California’s 46th. Plus, Texas employs 345 educators for every 10,000 of population, whereas California employs only 231 educators per 10,000 people.)

In making the case for the Six States, Draper also points to California’s persistent prison problem. In that same Marketplace interview, Draper said, “We pay among the most for prisons, and we are among the highest recidivism rate.” Again, the comparison to Texas is eye-opening: In that low-tax, business-friendly state, the prison system runs more effectively. The annual cost of holding a prisoner in Texas is $21,390 ($58.60 per day); the annual cost of holding a similar prisoner California is $47,421 ($129.00 per day). Additionally, poverty as a share of population is significantly smaller in Texas (16.5 percent) than in California (23.5 percent). California has the greatest number of citizens on welfare, while Texas has the fourth-lowest.

The comparison points are startling and plentiful (and my co-authors and I provide more than 50 of them in our new book An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of States), but the key takeaway is this: Low-tax Texas thrives while high-tax California stifles growth at every turn. Why not take a fresh approach to the way the state functions; why not support a bold initiative that could jumpstart a state in decline?

To quote Draper, speaking to a group of tech insiders earlier this year: “We need to do something structural, something fresh. If we don’t try, we’re failing in our complacency.”

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I'm sure it would be great for some and not so great for others. It would probably effect the out come of some presidential elections as well.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Why isn't California governable as they state? How does the formation of six states make the situation any better? I don't see any benefit, just STATED benefit by people with a vested interest.

This sounds a little like the older movement to create the state of Long Island, consisting of Nassau and Suffolk counties, separating it from the rest of New York State. It's all a question of who is getting the money.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I think it is a stupid idea. On the other hand, two states might be a reasonable idea, but I have no problem with one state.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Color me skeptical. If the map looks like 6 salamanders then we'll know what it's really about.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It'll never happen. Another crackpot. Give him an island off the coast for him and his buddies.

Steve Williams

I agree with all of you but have any of you driven the state from north to south or even east to west. The topology, economics and interests of each area is clearly divergent as are the political affiliations of each area. Plus IIRC the economy of California is the 5th largest in the world

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree with all of you but have any of you driven the state from north to south or even east to west. The topology, economics and interests of each area is clearly divergent as are the political affiliations of each area. Plus IIRC the economy of California is the 6th largest in the world

New York State is totally different from Westchester that is totally different than LI that is totally different from metropolitan New York.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
"California tumbles into the sea
That'll be the day I go
Back to Annandale"

My Old School

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Just a wild guess -- this idea comes from a part of the state largely populated by the middle and upper middle classes? Not a salamander, but I'm guessing thats more luck than anything else:

220px-Six_Californias.png

Can't say I blame the wealthy parts of California for wanting to separate themselves from the tax liability of the poorer parts, but if they got to do this, where would the precedent take us? There are folks who would love to do this in North Carolina, but it would end up looking like districts gerrymandered by a schizophrenic off his meds...

ON EDIT: Ah yes, here you go; from Wikipedia:

The California Legislative Analyst's Office, in a report that covered a wide variety of impacts, noted a wide disparity of incomes and tax bases in the proposed states. The report estimated that the state of Silicon Valley would have the nation's highest per capita personal income (PCPI) whereas the state of Central California would have the nation's lowest PCPI.[1]

It would be a fair bet that while these are the extremes, the other four "states of California" are pretty rich/poor divided as well. And am I the only one who thinks "Silicon Valley" is a really goofy name for a state? Won't it someday be as if, I dunno, Virginia were named "Vacuum Tube Alley?" Just saying, this is destined to be the harvest gold refrigerator of state names.

Tim

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
This 'initiative' will fail.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
New York State is totally different from Westchester that is totally different than LI that is totally different from metropolitan New York.

I know, you downstaters are sucking Upstaters dry when it comes to taxation...LOL ;)
I always felt NYC should be it's own supporting district just like Washington DC. They pay their own way. It almost happened in the late 70's when NYC went bust.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I know, you downstaters are sucking Upstaters dry when it comes to taxation...LOL ;)
I always felt NYC should be it's own supporting district just like Washington DC. They pay their own way. It almost happened in the late 70's when NYC went bust.

That's when this sort of thing always "almost happens." If a city is thriving, is a huge contributor to the state's tax base, this sort of thing never seems to come up. Why wouldn't we want to allow companies and their skilled workers to move to the suburbs and divorce themselves financially from the burden of the cities?

Oh yeah, Detroit. :)

Tim

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
It seems to me that the people in CA should be worrying about getting through the drought than this nonsense which is just more tribalism which we really don't need. Without water, there won't be a state at all.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It seems to me that the people in CA should be worrying about getting through the drought than this nonsense which is just more tribalism which we really don't need. Without water, there won't be a state at all.

I agree water is a huge issue only looming larger to catastrophic levels if it doesn't rain soon. Economic losses are already in the billions for farmers.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I agree water is a huge issue only looming larger to catastrophic levels if it doesn't rain soon. Economic losses are already in the billions for farmers.

Chemtrails! :)

Steve Williams

Six States I do not see it ever getting done. A while back I read some where that if California was its own country it would have the 5th largest economy in the world. If that is right WOW .

As a country it would be the richest spanish speaking country . Have the largest all surfboard Navy. Wine to beat France, Silicone boobs to chips to beat any other Country, A Fantasy world movies to politics . First class Pot growers. National dish Granola National drink wine national flower the bud, National sport surfing . Just joking

you have to follow the thread ;)

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ser-To-Reality&p=277241&viewfull=1#post277241

Steve Williams

Six States I do not see it ever getting done. A while back I read some where that if California was its own country it would have the 5th largest economy in the world. If that is right WOW .

As a country it would be the richest spanish speaking country . Have the largest all surfboard Navy. Wine to beat France, Silicone boobs to chips to beat any other Country, A Fantasy world movies to politics . First class Pot growers. National dish Granola National drink wine national flower the bud, National sport surfing . Just joking

Garth

look at it this way

in 2012 Population of Canada was 34.88M whereas in 2012 the population of California was 38.04M

I'm talking as an exCanuck

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing