Playback Designs MPD-8

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Anyone own or spent some time listening to this DAC? Considering a change of DACs and this is on the short (very short) list. Would love to hear thoughts and experiences.

b345t

May 10, 2020
Sorry, no experience with it. Could I ask, what other dacs you have on the short list? What do you find about the Discrete that you want to change?

trophysteve

Apr 30, 2015
Anyone own or spent some time listening to this DAC? Considering a change of DACs and this is on the short (very short) list. Would love to hear thoughts and experiences.
I have had the MPD-8 in my system for a little over a thousand hours. It replaced a Totaldac D-1 Dual with Totaldac Reclocker. It is an expansion on all the qualities of the Totaldac--open, alive, natural, musical--with a more extended top end, a deeper and slightly wider soundstage and better mid and low bass, both in definition and extension. It also reveals considerably more detail which is never in your face or unnatural. I drive it with an Antipodes DX going by USB into the Playback Designs optical converter that connects to the MPD-8 through it's proprietary "Plink" link. The DAC goes straight to my Enleum 23R driving Cube Audio Nenuphars. It is a beautifully made and sounding piece of gear, one that I consider a permanent part of my system.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
If you're in this price range, I am a fan of Playback Designs' statement piece. I also like Merging Technology and Sforzato. Each of these IMO competes with the big boys for a lot less, so definitely worth a close listen. I have extensive experience listening to the MT and Sforzato, and back when the MPD-Five with USB box was available, I spent hundreds of hours there. I no longer handle MT and do not handle Playback; however, as a distributor of some world-class products, I have been considering the Sforzato DAC, clock, and power supply for my in-house reference system since hearing it at the Florida Audio Expo, where it was superb

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I have owned the Playback Designs MPT8 and MPD8 for over four years. I use a Baetis Reference server connected to the MPT8 by USB, then of course the P-Link to the MPD8. I ripped all my CDs to SSD and stream Qobuz. The MPD8 is connected by Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 XLR cables to a Boulder 1110 preamp, then Boulder 3060 amp and YG Sonja XVi speakers. I use the transport a lot, too, SACDs and CDs. The sound of the transport is different than rip or stream. I like the sound better (whether disc, rip or stream) than the other "usual suspects" cost-no-object DACs. The user interface is very good. It has been turned on pretty much 24/7 since I got the 1110 over two years ago.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Anyone compared the MPD-8 to Emm Labs DV2 both having volume control ?

Reactions: jackson_k

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Iv has had the Playback Design Dreams Series DAC, Transporter/Server for over two years ( I think 3 years) since the product was first released. It has been a permanent DAC in my Room whilst many have come and gone.

It is my permanent keeper for various reasons i find it the most musical and unfatigued DAC iv had so far, I used to be a distributor for MSB, Aqua and have the DCS in my room for short temporary periods (Borrowed). Iv also had various Tube-based DACs and the Lampizator Big 7 purchased based on the raves. All have gone, but the Playback Design has stood the test of time and still is going to be my keeper for many years to come.

In Short, Its Fatigue Free, Has all the details but in a very unforceful manner, Its seems to give you a closer connection to the soul of the music if that means anything on here. It does not lack in Bass or Dynamics it handles complex musical passages with ease and control. Above all does not sound like a Typical Solid State or Tube DAC. It lacks that mechanical feeling you get with a lot of DACS.

Iv had clients come to my room and mistakenly thought iv i was playing LP/Records. Some have found it to be very comfortable to listen to whilst these clients did not come to listen for a DAC they were impressed and admitted it sounded more analogue than their DCS Stack.

If you are after a Digital System which you can listen to for hours, this is one of the best you can get. I believe its the way Andreas Koch has designed how it converts all Signals to DSD internally.

Last edited:

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Anyone compared the MPD-8 to Emm Labs DV2 both having volume control ?
PD8 has a Digital Volume Control as good as it is i still prefer using a good Tube Based Pre-Amplifier.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Correction i think its almost 4 years now :) iv never bothered to look for another dac anymore so i have lost count on time with ownership. Every single unit i have sold to clients none have sold their units either so it's been a keeper for me and a few numbers of people.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Iv has had the Playback Design Dreams Series DAC, Transporter/Server for over two years ( I think 3 years) since the product was first released. It has been a permanent DAC in my Room whilst many have come and gone.

It is my permanent keeper for various reasons i find it the most musical and unfatigued DAC iv had so far, I used to be a distributor for MSB, Aqua and have the DCS in my room for short temporary periods (Borrowed). Iv also had various Tube-based DACs and the Lampizator Big 7 purchased based on the raves. All have gone, but the Playback Design has stood the test of time and still is going to be my keeper for many years to come.

In Short, Its Fatigue Free, Has all the details but in a very unforceful manner, Its seems to give you a closer connection to the soul of the music if that means anything on here. It does not lack in Bass or Dynamics it handles complex musical passages with ease and control. Above all does not sound like a Typical Solid State or Tube DAC. It lacks that mechanical feeling you get with a lot of DACS.

Iv had clients come to my room and mistakenly thought iv i was playing LP/Records. Some have found it to be very comfortable to listen to whilst these clients did not come to listen for a DAC they were impressed and admitted it sounded more analogue than their DCS Stack.

If you are after a Digital System which you can listen to for hours, this is one of the best you can get. I believe its the way Andreas Koch has designed how it converts all Signals to DSD internally.
Did you have the Aqua Formula at some point an is the MPD-8 really a notch above ?

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Iv had the Aqua whilst i had the MPD-8 Same time and compared them side by side.

The Playback Design stayed Aqua Never.

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles

I have just installed the MPD-8 into my system last week and I want to say that I agree with Phantom-Audio that it is one of the best DAC that I have had the chance to put into my system. The sounds is analog and non-fatiguing. I literally sat there all weekend and didn't want to go anywhere else but in front of my JBL dd66000 powered by MPD8. Truly amazing.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I have just installed the MPD-8 into my system last week and I want to say that I agree with Phantom-Audio that it is one of the best DAC that I have had the chance to put into my system. The sounds is analog and non-fatiguing. I literally sat there all weekend and didn't want to go anywhere else but in front of my JBL dd66000 powered by MPD8. Truly amazing.
Its a keeper I got the chance to compare it to many DACs. It just feels comfortable to sit down for hours end listening to Digital.

Reactions: jackson_k

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Has anyone here tried archiving sacds to dsd files with their Playback Design Dream transports?

Apparently, the MPS-8 and MPT-8 can record to dsd while an SACD disc is being played, according to a HK review I read online. However I have not seen this feature mentioned on Playback's website.

This feature uses the USB connection to a PC which has a program (available from PD) to record.

I sold my TX2/DA2v2. About to unload the TSDX/DAC2Xv2 soon.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I have been using the MPS-5 for years. Had all of the upgrades and currently the I-Stream feeding it via Plink.

I can't imaging how good the 8 series must sound.

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Guys I am currently using the MPD8 to drive the amp directly as the preamp, do you guy find that using a external PREAMP will enhance the SQ ( sounds stage etc., ) I have a short list of preamp - 1. CH L1, 2. Townshend Allegri.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Guys I am currently using the MPD8 to drive the amp directly as the preamp, do you guy find that using a external PREAMP will enhance the SQ ( sounds stage etc., ) I have a short list of preamp - 1. CH L1, 2. Townshend Allegri.
A CH L1 would definitely make a difference but it's up to you to decide if it's worth the investment if you use a digital only rig.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden

What power amp will you be using?

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Jackson_k
Below is an article written by Christian Punter, editor of HFA (and a frequent contributor to WBF) on the value of pre-amplifiers in the digital age. The CH Precision pre-amp is prominently referenced in the article as well as other active solutions. I hope this article sheds some ;light on your consideration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing