playlist from the local audio club meeting at my room last night.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
last night I hosted a local PNWAS (Pacific Northwest Audio Society) club meeting in my room.

we had 30+ people attend (36 had RSVP'd). We started playing music at 6pm, the official meeting started at 7:30pm, and the official meeting ended at 10pm, although a number of people stayed until after 11pm. most everyone stayed in the room from 7:30 thru 10pm.

I just finished doing a playlist for the club and figured some might enjoy seeing the selections that I choose to play.

Before 7:30 pm we played;

½” RTR tape, ‘ the Doors’, Riders in the Storm’……..Boz Scaggs, ‘Lowdown’…..Van Morrison, ‘Into the Mystic’.

¼” RTR tape, Diana Krall, Live in Paris, ‘Fly Me To The Moon’

Lps,

Count Basie and the Kansas Ciity Septem, Blues and Some Others, ‘I’m Confessin That I Love You’, ‘I Want A Little Girl’, Pablo Lp.

Flight Path, Sphere, ‘If I Should Lose You’, Electra Musician, 60313-1

Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillespie, ‘Caravan, Pablo Lp.

Dsd From my server thru the Playback Designs from a preloaded playlist, mostly classical and mostly native dsd original master files;

Podger-Mozart Sonata in C major, andante, Channel Classics
Podger, Mozart Sonata in C, Adigio Molto Allegro, Channel Classics
Fischer, Mahler Symphony No. 2, Andanta Moderato, Channel Classics
Fischer, Schubert, Symphony No 9 in C major, Andante-Allegro ma non troppo, Channel Classics
Stotijn, double bass, Bottesini Grand Duo Concertant in A Major, Channel Classics
Fischer, Brahms Hungarian Dance, Channel Classics
Wispelwey, Lazie; Piano Cello, Brahms Sonata voor Cello en Piano in e-Klein, Channel Classics
Andrew Lawrence-King, Villancico Canten dos jiguerillos, The Harp Consort, Missa Mexicana, Harmonia Mundi
Angela Hewitt, Rameau, e minor suite, Harmonia Mundi

List for after 7:30 pm;

We started with a replay of brief selections of the same dsd preloaded playlist as above.

Next I played tracks from 4 CD’s on the Playback Designs.

Harry Connick Jr., ‘She’, ‘Joe Slam and the Spaceship, approx. 2 minutes. Columbia CD.
He Xun Tian, ‘Paramita’, Earth Drums, about 2 minutes. Wind Record Co. TCD-5258
Eiji Oue, Copland-Fanfare For the Common Man, 2 minutes. RR-93 CD.
Eagles, Hell Freezes Over, Hotel California, 2 minutes, XRDC.

Then we played the following stereo Lps;

The Allman Brothers, Live at the Fillmore East, ‘Stormy Monday’, Nautilus Lp.
Cowboy Junkies, Trinity Sessions, ‘Sweet Jane’, Classic Records 45rpm single sided Lp.
Brown-Almeida, ‘Moonlight Serenade’, Direct-to-Disc Jeton Lp.
Ray Lamontagne, Till the Sun Turns Black, ‘You Can Bring Me Flowers’, RCA/Legacy Lp.
Santana, first album, ‘Jingo’, MFSL Lp.
Belafonte Sings The Blues, ‘A Fool For You’, Classic 45rpm single sided Lp.
Ricci, 'Carmen Fantaisie', Decca reissue Lp from Speaker’s Corner.
Mulligan Meets Webster, Cat Walk, 45rpm reissue Lp, Org 013.
Led Zep II, ‘Whole Lotta Love’, Classic 45rpm single sided box set.

We played 2 mono Lps on the other Telos tone arm with the Miyajima mono cartridge; I did not mention that we were playing mono until half way thru the first cut. (not one comment that it might be a mono pressing).

Rolling Stones, Aftermath, 'Lady Jane', 'Under My Thumb', Decca Mono Lp LK 4786, early pressing.
Billie Holliday, ‘Body and Soul’, Verve, Clef Series, mono Lp, early pressing.

Back to Stereo….

Pink Floyd, Meddle, ‘Fearless’, EMI Harvest SHVL 795, original pressing Lp.
Ray Charles and Betty Carter, ‘Baby, it’s Cold Outside’, DCC reissue Lp.
Heifetz, Bruch, Scottish Fantasy, Classic 45rpm single sided pressing Lp.

Then we played some tape;

½” 15ips, Bob Marley, Legend, ‘Could You Be Loved’.
¼” 15ips, Miles Davis, Live At The Blackhawk, ‘All of You’, ‘No Blues’.
¼” 15ips, Oscar Peterson, We Get Requests, ‘Have You Met Miss Jones’, ‘You Look Good To Me’.

There were three tracks we played that guests brought but my memory is not quite good enough to have accurate info to list.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
last night I hosted a local PNWAS (Pacific Northwest Audio Society) club meeting in my room.

we had 30+ people attend (36 had RSVP'd). We started playing music at 6pm, the official meeting started at 7:30pm, and the official meeting ended at 10pm, although a number of people stayed until after 11pm. most everyone stayed in the room from 7:30 thru 10pm.

I just finished doing a playlist for the club and figured some might enjoy seeing the selections that I choose to play.

Before 7:30 pm we played;

½” RTR tape, ‘ the Doors’, Riders in the Storm’……..Boz Scaggs, ‘Lowdown’…..Van Morrison, ‘Into the Mystic’.

¼” RTR tape, Diana Krall, Live in Paris, ‘Fly Me To The Moon’

Lps,

Count Basie and the Kansas Ciity Septem, Blues and Some Others, ‘I’m Confessin That I Love You’, ‘I Want A Little Girl’, Pablo Lp.

Flight Path, Sphere, ‘If I Should Lose You’, Electra Musician, 60313-1

Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillespie, ‘Caravan, Pablo Lp.

Dsd From my server thru the Playback Designs from a preloaded playlist, mostly classical and mostly native dsd original master files;

Podger-Mozart Sonata in C major, andante, Channel Classics
Podger, Mozart Sonata in C, Adigio Molto Allegro, Channel Classics
Fischer, Mahler Symphony No. 2, Andanta Moderato, Channel Classics
Fischer, Schubert, Symphony No 9 in C major, Andante-Allegro ma non troppo, Channel Classics
Stotijn, double bass, Bottesini Grand Duo Concertant in A Major, Channel Classics
Fischer, Brahms Hungarian Dance, Channel Classics
Wispelwey, Lazie; Piano Cello, Brahms Sonata voor Cello en Piano in e-Klein, Channel Classics
Andrew Lawrence-King, Villancico Canten dos jiguerillos, The Harp Consort, Missa Mexicana, Harmonia Mundi
Angela Hewitt, Rameau, e minor suite, Harmonia Mundi

List for after 7:30 pm;

We started with a replay of brief selections of the same dsd preloaded playlist as above.

Next I played tracks from 4 CD’s on the Playback Designs.

Harry Connick Jr., ‘She’, ‘Joe Slam and the Spaceship, approx. 2 minutes. Columbia CD.
He Xun Tian, ‘Paramita’, Earth Drums, about 2 minutes. Wind Record Co. TCD-5258
Eiji Oue, Copland-Fanfare For the Common Man, 2 minutes. RR-93 CD.
Eagles, Hell Freezes Over, Hotel California, 2 minutes, XRDC.

Then we played the following stereo Lps;

The Allman Brothers, Live at the Fillmore East, ‘Stormy Monday’, Nautilus Lp.
Cowboy Junkies, Trinity Sessions, ‘Sweet Jane’, Classic Records 45rpm single sided Lp.
Brown-Almeida, ‘Moonlight Serenade’, Direct-to-Disc Jeton Lp.
Ray Lamontagne, Till the Sun Turns Black, ‘You Can Bring Me Flowers’, RCA/Legacy Lp.
Santana, first album, ‘Jingo’, MFSL Lp.
Belafonte Sings The Blues, ‘A Fool For You’, Classic 45rpm single sided Lp.
Ricci, 'Carmen Fantaisie', Decca reissue Lp from Speaker’s Corner.
Mulligan Meets Webster, Cat Walk, 45rpm reissue Lp, Org 013.
Led Zep II, ‘Whole Lotta Love’, Classic 45rpm single sided box set.

We played 2 mono Lps on the other Telos tone arm with the Miyajima mono cartridge; I did not mention that we were playing mono until half way thru the first cut. (not one comment that it might be a mono pressing).

Rolling Stones, Aftermath, 'Lady Jane', 'Under My Thumb', Decca Mono Lp LK 4786, early pressing.
Billie Holliday, ‘Body and Soul’, Verve, Clef Series, mono Lp, early pressing.

Back to Stereo….

Pink Floyd, Meddle, ‘Fearless’, EMI Harvest SHVL 795, original pressing Lp.
Ray Charles and Betty Carter, ‘Baby, it’s Cold Outside’, DCC reissue Lp.
Heifetz, Bruch, Scottish Fantasy, Classic 45rpm single sided pressing Lp.

Then we played some tape;

½” 15ips, Bob Marley, Legend, ‘Could You Be Loved’.
¼” 15ips, Miles Davis, Live At The Blackhawk, ‘All of You’, ‘No Blues’.
¼” 15ips, Oscar Peterson, We Get Requests, ‘Have You Met Miss Jones’, ‘You Look Good To Me’.

There were three tracks we played that guests brought but my memory is not quite good enough to have accurate info to list.

Sounds like you guys had fun. Sorry I could not make it. I had to work late.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
What a party!!!, wished I could be there Mike!

Sounds like you guys had fun. Sorry I could not make it. I had to work late.

I can only speak for myself, it was fun for me to play the music. it seemed everyone had a good time and the comments back to me were very positive. the Club did an excellent job of organization so I had minimal issues and could just DJ the music. I wish we had had more time to play more music.

it's up to others to comment on the sound.

in other years when we've had the meeting in my room there were typically fewer people, and much talking and people going in and out of the room and leaving much earlier. Thursday night almost everyone was quiet and stayed listening until 10pm. that has never happened before at any meeting I recall in my 18 years in the club.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
It sounds like a fun time was had by all.

Was this playlist compiled by you before the meeting or were these requests from the members or some of both? I'm always interested in the music choices for events like these.

It is a nice list of selections.

Thanks,
Dre

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Sphere Flight Path. I have been meaning to pick this one up for some time. I recently found a mint copy of it for only $10 on Music Stack I believe. Love it.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It sounds like a fun time was had by all.

Was this playlist compiled by you before the meeting or were these requests from the members or some of both? I'm always interested in the music choices for events like these.

It is a nice list of selections.

Thanks,
Dre

thanks.

knowing I would not be able to navigate around my room to retrieve any media due to 30 people sitting in the way, I selected a group of Lps and CD's in the afternoon before the meeting. I also loaded up a dsd download playlist on my I-pad mini for my music server that afternoon. certainly any listening session is about the music, and getting exposed to new music. however; the slant of this meeting was more toward system performance than an agenda to get into new music. but the only selections I played that were about the 'sound' and not the 'music' were the CD's, and that is why I only played 2 minutes of each CD cut.

I had no specific music list ahead of time or play order. I played maybe a third of the Lps I set out and half the CD's. I then set the ones I played in a particular stack. then later when they asked me to compile the list it was easy.

looking back there are a bunch of 'why didn't I play that's' but it's always that way after every session.

I had told the club I would rather not have people bring their own media but if there was a few that would be fine.....which is how it worked out.

when I have small groups of visitors I always allow them to bring and play anything they want, and request whatever they want me to play. but with 30 people I wanted to dictate the direction and keep people's attention and the musical flow and 'vibe' going.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's why I love visiting other folks. I always come away with more stuff I want to listen to. The exposure keeps everything fresh. Thanks for taking the time to post your playlist Mike!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Do you ever make playlists for when you know you'll be 4-5 hours in your building? I've done it a few times, but it never seems to work out as planned. Just wondering what you and others have done.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

I'm always interested how folks respond to those early Stones' records when they hear an unboxed mono recording for the first time (which is how the good Lord intended IMO). Can't tell you the number of times I've had visitors tell me that "it's like hearing it for the first time".

Mike any further comments?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
thanks.

knowing I would not be able to navigate around my room to retrieve any media due to 30 people sitting in the way, I selected a group of Lps and CD's in the afternoon before the meeting. I also loaded up a dsd download playlist on my I-pad mini for my music server that afternoon. certainly any listening session is about the music, and getting exposed to new music. however; the slant of this meeting was more toward system performance than an agenda to get into new music. but the only selections I played that were about the 'sound' and not the 'music' were the CD's, and that is why I only played 2 minutes of each CD cut.

I had no specific music list ahead of time or play order. I played maybe a third of the Lps I set out and half the CD's. I then set the ones I played in a particular stack. then later when they asked me to compile the list it was easy.

looking back there are a bunch of 'why didn't I play that's' but it's always that way after every session.

I had told the club I would rather not have people bring their own media but if there was a few that would be fine.....which is how it worked out.

when I have small groups of visitors I always allow them to bring and play anything they want, and request whatever they want me to play. but with 30 people I wanted to dictate the direction and keep people's attention and the musical flow and 'vibe' going.

Thanks for the follow-up Mike. I know how much work goes into hosting events like this. The reward for the effort is usually when the guests have an enjoyable time.

Dre

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Sounds like pure joy Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I'm always interested how folks respond to those early Stones' records when they hear an unboxed mono recording for the first time (which is how the good Lord intended IMO). Can't tell you the number of times I've had visitors tell me that "it's like hearing it for the first time".

Mike any further comments?

Got a bunch of those; on SACDs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing