Please Consider Adding "tags" To New Posts and New Threads

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I go to new posts either by clicking on Latest activity (which I find easier with this format) or New posts (which is what I did with the first format)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
In this context, a 'tag' is a piece of metadata - that is data about data.

In our context, where the suggestion is to use tags, you are asked to specifiy data about your own post. The idea is to identify your post with 'tag words' that will help software classify and organize your post with other posts that share the same tags. You may choose a tag that corresponds to no word in your post.

If you write a post about an Ikeda tonearm, tags might be 'Ikeda', 'tonearm', 'Japanese tonearm', 'Mike L', etc.

Without any guidance or training end-user created tags are considered somewhat freeform. They can be a product of our own view of things (preferences), how we think about stuff (ideas, concepts) that a computer might not derive on its own just looking at the words in your post. However most of us are not librarians familiar with thinking about how our posts might be classified and organized for the future. We are not professional taxonomists.

Of course the software can (and does) look at your post's words too - every one of them. But you don't want to index every word in a post. Often this leads to use of what's called a 'controlled vocabulary' which is usually domain specifc. What words are of interest in the domain of audiophiles and high-end audio? The computer uses the controlled vocabulary to rule in or out the relevance of a word in a post. It might see the words such as 'Ikeda' and 'tonearm' as relevant but ignore words like 'joy' or 'axiomatic.' Tags can be created and added; for example 'CES2019' (#CES2019) might be a new tag - it probably already is; Events often create their own tags.

In the wretched world of corporatized social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc. - I'm reluctant to say their names lest they appear) tags are marked with a '#' (hash symbol) and are called 'hashtags'.

The above is super simplistic and not definitive. There are whole realms of people and jobs paying attention to information organization and much of those are sophisticated and complex and sometimes scary. Your tags (and other pieces of information) are used to create a 'picture' of you, what you do, what you like, what you talk about, who you do or don't respond to, where you are, finances, etc. Posting in a public forum means you do not own information about yourself that can be derived from your writing (and tags) and someone else does.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mike, I assume that if I put up a post like I did with Tang's system, I had tags like Cessaro, Techdas, American Sound, various cart names, no bass, etc. So if you write a post relating to your analog you could mention component names in tags or if you do on tweaks something like the Tana, depending on what you want to highlight in that post

It is such an easy topic to comprehend that I was somewhat dumbfounded last night as I felt it is just self explanatory. The main thing is that there will be no changes in members' posts but rather to do as Ked has done in the thread mentioned. Bottom line is that it improves the overall function of our search engine as well as helping with our SEO optimization. As a result I felt the thread topic was a reasonable one to bring to members' attention as it helps everyone in the long run

I guess I naively thought that the term tags is something well understood by our readers.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i understand what tags do. but 'exactly' how you tag words on What's Best Forum is still fuzzy.

please just list the various choices of how to do this. how can that be so hard? if your first answer included examples we both could have saved lots of time. assuming we all live in the social media world is wrong.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You two should get on the phone with each other :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
e x a m p l e s

Next, when you write some product report or update on your system, where applicable, Steve should PM you tag suggestions. If he does this thrice it will be clear

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I understand how to add tags to a new thread, but how do you add tags to a new post under an existing thread?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I understand how to add tags to a new thread, but how do you add tags to a new post under an existing thread?
you can't . I meant in the original post and thread title

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing