Please find the excuses for me not to buy Stax 009S headphone

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I may had got into rabbit hole of Headphone.

After getting Massdrop Empire Zeus IEm, I had been happy with its dynamics and nuanced details.

But after having gone back to my 2 channel system of Lansche 4.1 speaker driven by Line Magnetic 508 SET amplifier, I want more out of IEM.

My main system plays much more dynamic with deeper bass slam with deeper and more transparent soundstage.

After finding some good deal, I am about to pull the trigger for Stax 009 electrostatic headphone and KGSSHV Carbon amplifier for sizable sum of money.

Please find the excuses for me not to buy Stax 009S headphone.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I may had got into rabbit hole of Headphone.

After getting Massdrop Empire Zeus IEm, I had been happy with its dynamics and nuanced details.

But after having gone back to my 2 channel system of Lansche 4.1 speaker driven by Line Magnetic 508 SET amplifier, I want more out of IEM.

My main system plays much more dynamic with deeper bass slam with deeper and more transparent soundstage.

After finding some good deal, I am about to pull the trigger for Stax 009 electrostatic headphone and KGSSHV Carbon amplifier for sizable sum of money.

Please find the excuses for me not to buy Stax 009S headphone.

I didn't have this Stax headphone, but other Stax headphones, albeit a long time ago. I just don't think you can get the dynamics, bass slam and soundstage of a great speaker system with headphones. So here you have your excuse.

Even the micro-detail is now much better with my speaker system; it's pretty outrageous now, I dare to say. Maybe you could get that detail with modern Stax headphones, who knows.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I didn't have this Stax headphone, but other Stax headphones, albeit a long time ago. I just don't think you can get the dynamics, bass slam and soundstage of a great speaker system with headphones. So here you have your excuse.

Even the micro-detail is now much better with my speaker system; it's pretty outrageous now, I dare to say. Maybe you could get that detail with modern Stax headphones, who knows.
Stax 009 "so-called king of headphone" will not match the dynamics of my speaker system but may approach the details and transparency of soundstage due to its electrostatic mechanism.

The problem is that I wish to get the end game product and be done with looking around it.

I sincerely want to have a break from hardware swapping binge and enjoy the music.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Also, if I'm not mistaken, IEMs like you have give more deep bass than 'regular' headphones like a Stax anyway.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Also, if I'm not mistaken, IEMs like you have give more deep bass than 'regular' headphones like a Stax anyway.

Bass Texture - Other than being a little less hefty than I'd like (just a little), the extension was very, very good, and the texture was simply breathtaking. Felt like I heard the spit on the lips of the tuba player. Spectacularly clear.

Bass Slam - Holy moly! These hit amazingly hard. Yes, the lowest two octaves are a bit shelved down, but my goodness they rock!

Midrange - Hey! How did these people get into my house! The realism with the SR-009 is incredible! (Hang on a sec, I've got to write a sentence without and exclamation point.) The seamless coherence between mids and highs deliver a stunningly realistic presentation I've simply not heard a voice so convincingly real on headphones before. Stunning! Simply stunning!

Treble - Damn! I'm running out of superlatives. I'm super sensitive to trouble in the treble, and I'm floored by being able to hear a strong sense of speed and treble energy without it sounding strident in the least. The sense of coherent high frequency sound is extraordinary; everything is more than natural and organic, it's simply sounds like you're there. Wow again!

Dynamics - Come on! When are these cans going to show a weakness? On the other headphones the Flamenco guitar strums are punchy, but here it's as if you can hear each string of the strum individually hit, and then add their voices together with a musicality of impact I've heard on no other can.

Imaging - Finally! (Still using exclamation marks, though.) The 009 is bested handily with regard to imaging by the HD 800. However, these are no slouch, and great depth and width are realized; separation and depth are very good. Without the HD 800 within arms reach for comparison, I would find these a spectacularly immersive listening experience.

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-stax-sr-009#wWQHmp0tmTOc0gyQ....

I had got a fever after reading above article.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Oh boy.

Well, I don't get a fever if that helps. I'm just too in love with my speaker system.

Good ole headphone days though. The beginning of my high end journey.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Oh boy.

Well, I don't get a fever if that helps. I'm just too in love with my speaker system.

Good ole headphone days though. The beginning of my high end journey.
I do not expect Stax 009 to sound better than my speaker system.

But I may need it from time to time, i.e., when my wife is sleeping.

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have 009 and i suggest you to buy because is fantastic and can listen in late evening or when don't want to on all your system.
Its a different sound from speaker system but very exciting.
I tried also 009S in comparison,and the new is little more transparent but 90% same sound so i am not interest to change.
I have a el34 push pull Italian company Megahertz,Guerra model,but i am agree if you but Carbon,i think the best choice for 009,after the T2 that is impossible to find
Here my system

Attachments

• L1050680.jpg
    L1050680.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I have 009 and i suggest you to buy because is fantastic and can listen in late evening or when don't want to on all your system.
Its a different sound from speaker system but very exciting.
I tried also 009S in comparison,and the new is little more transparent but 90% same sound so i am not interest to change.
I have a el34 push pull Italian company Megahertz,Guerra model,but i am agree if you but Carbon,i think the best choice for 009,after the T2 that is impossible to find
Here my system
Nice systems.

You are still using Wadia CD player.

Actually it had been 10 years since I had listened to Sax headphone.

Thus it may be safer to listen to it again by dropping in nearby shop.

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Sorry for your wallet or bank account, or mortgage, or…o_O

I can’t think of ANY reason NOT to buy a STAX 009, whether it’s the “old” 009 or the newer “S” is really up the listeners (musical) taste.
For me: the “S” is my King ! :)

Regards

Urs

PS: I personally prefer the ”S”, other very knowledgeable "head-phoniacs" I know had a liking for the 009 – others were undecided .
So much for the possible differences in sound – Listen to (preferably both) yourself is a must.

PPS: It heavily depends on the “source equipment & material” (Digital, analogue, etc.) and especially the Energizer / Amp you would be using
BTW: I have a kind of a Full-Tube Analogue system and Tube Energizer : STAX is approaching Audio Nirvana

Regards
Urs

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
If you're considering the Stax cans, I'd also audition the Focal Utopia's, preferably with one of these headphone amps.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
So sure if you have to buy absolutely buy the new S

I pulled the trigger. It will be my end game headphone.

But I expect to receive it only after July 8th.

Notes about the build in no particular order: 450V supply, 20mA output current, TKD 4CP-601 volume pot, no servo, F&T 680uF PSU capacitors, german & japanese capacitors used throughout, XLR input & loopout, two pro bias stax outputs, same chassis as the DIYT2, dual primary toroid, heat blued steel knob. Weight is approx. 25lbs, LWH is about 16.5"x15.5"x4.5" (including the height of the caps).

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Utopia has good dynamics but not in the same league as Stax 009S in overall presentation.

I had also considered it.
The upshot is you can now eliminate that from your list. Have you now settled on the Stax cans?

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Sorry for your wallet or bank account, or mortgage, or…o_O

I can’t think of ANY reason NOT to buy a STAX 009, whether it’s the “old” 009 or the newer “S” is really up the listeners (musical) taste.
For me: the “S” is my King ! :)

Regards

Urs

PS: I personally prefer the ”S”, other very knowledgeable "head-phoniacs" I know had a liking for the 009 – others were undecided .
So much for the possible differences in sound – Listen to (preferably both) yourself is a must.

PPS: It heavily depends on the “source equipment & material” (Digital, analogue, etc.) and especially the Energizer / Amp you would be using
BTW: I have a kind of a Full-Tube Analogue system and Tube Energizer : STAX is approaching Audio Nirvana

Regards
Urs
I am using Chord Dave and Mscaler for source which is working well with IEMs that I have.

I will get two months old Carbon amplifier made by Canadian guy with good refutation.

I had considered Blue Hawaii.

But BH needs 40 min warm up time for fuller sound that bothered me.

Reactions: UEM

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Congrats !

I’m sure, you won't regret it.

( I'd be a bit cautious about “the end game”… In my “games” there was ALWAYS a new round and higher level) ;)

Regards

Urs

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@gian60 are those the Electro Harmonix EL34 in your amp? It's a good choice for the new EL34 tubes. I think you might find the Gold Lion KT77 even better, in case you are interested in trying. I have found it to be the true with another EL34 headphone amp myself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing