Pool Table between speakers and listening position

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I recently got back into playing pool again after 30+ years of playing sparingly. I am in the process of buying a 9’ Olhausen table which I intend to setup between my incoming horn speakers and the listening position.

I don’t have any other room in our basement to set it up but want it badly enough that I am willing to somehow sacrifice an audio setup. I have a dedicated room where I have my Magico speakers setup and my line of thinking now is - if I want to listen to these horns more seriously, I could swap or move it anyway.

I never owned horn speakers before and wondering how it gets affected by the room or what’s in the room. The pool table is 32” tall and 111 by 61. I can set it up either with the long side or the narrow side facing the speakers, and wondering which will have more adverse effect sonically.

will covering it with cloth or sound absorbing material help?

opinion/suggestion will be appreciated.

Last edited:

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
So many jokes one could make!

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Beautiful speakers

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Well it all depends on how you will listening. Background music who cares. Serious stereo listening could be an issue if the pool table is between you and the speakers. How high is the center of the midrange horn off the floor?? If it's above the top of the pool table it my not be that bad depending on seated height. The bottom line is you want to have an un obstructed view of the speakers from you listening position.

The other issue is speaker placement. If the pool table position prevents you from optimum speaker placement then obviously it's an issue. I would place the speakers first and then try to work in the table.

Good Luck! Nice speakers!

Rob :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing