Possibly Misunderstood Wilson Tune Tot

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
We recently downsized from a home with a dedicated sound room selling our Magico Q3’s into Hong Kong and Devialet monoblocks into California. Our move into a smaller high rise condo presented a number of challenges as we tend to listen nightly and, on occasion, push up the volume a tad.
In pursuit of a smaller speaker which could offer some of what we enjoyed in our former sound room but without a prominent base signature, we visited our local stereo hut which had a pair of TuneTots mounted on sand-filled metal.stands (not sitting on the desk/bureau,/cadenza, shown in the Wilson promo material). Upon addition we quickly brought them home.
Just wanted to relay our experience.
These speakers are not simply just desk mounted ”computer” speakers as shown in Wilson literature, nor just something in the kitchen for local PBS broadcasts but, rather, extraordinary, near-field monitors for smaller “condo” environments.
Our Tots are stand mounted, driven by a dCS Bartok and a pair of PS Audio Stellar monoblocks and sound simply exquisite.
Just a heads up as I believe they may be slightly misrepresented in the initial launch literature.
And BTW, as a former Magico beryllium tweeter devotee, that silk dome is just so beguiling!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I agree 100% with you, so much that we chose to exhibit them at the this year's THE Show here in California.
I've told my friends at Wilson that the speakers are too good to be constricted to the "computer speaker" category :) They're world class bookshelves, that, given the proper support, can shine as good as any.
And yeah, silk dome > beryllium any day for me as well.

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Rumour has it that Wilson has a dedicated stand in the works and this was intended from the start but was waylaid due to other concerns.

Reactions: CKKeung

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
71473990_2776206635746213_6095598791153418240_n.jpg
Well, it only makes sense for them to come up with a proper stand! This is such an amazing little speaker, it deserves the proper support!

The bases they've come up with are great, but I think Wilson stands will elevate their performance even further!

BTW, this was our room at this year's THE Show.

cheers,
Alex

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
I think an active version of this speaker with a built in dac/streamer and WiFi capability would be very exciting.

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
View attachment 57272
Well, it only makes sense for them to come up with a proper stand! This is such an amazing little speaker, it deserves the proper support!

The bases they've come up with are great, but I think Wilson stands will elevate their performance even further!

BTW, this was our room at this year's THE Show.

cheers,
Alex

Hello Alex,
I do not have the IsoBase using the Tots directly on the stands. Did you audition stand-mounted with and without the IsoBase?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
There was an improvement using the IsoBase with the stands we were using, that's why we opted to go with the IsoBase, in spite of the stands being relatively heavy. I guess a proper, Wilson-designed stand won't need the IsoBase. If you can, check with your dealer if he'll let you try some.

Also very important was adjusting the rake angle to fit your listening position, with the supplied spikes.

Reactions: metaphacts

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
There was an improvement using the IsoBase with the stands we were using, that's why we opted to go with the IsoBase, in spite of the stands being relatively heavy. I guess a proper, Wilson-designed stand won't need the IsoBase. If you can, check with your dealer if he'll let you try some.

Also very important was adjusting the rake angle to fit your listening position, with the supplied spikes.

Thanks.........these IsoBase are a special order in my part of the world (Vancouver, BC) so not possible to audition without purchase.
Bummer.
The rake adjustment possible with the Tots base was the one item that intrigues me.
Best

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You don't need the IsoBase to install the spikes and adjust the rake. They'll go on stands as well, of course, provided your stand has a large enough base for them.
Have a look at the manual, starting on page 12.

Reactions: metaphacts

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
A minor update to my initial post...recently swapped out the PS Audio mono-blocks for a Pass Labs AX-30.8 (thirty watts Class A) and this is a truly wonderful musical marriage. Now just wondering if the addition of a Pass Lab XP-22 Pre Amp would just add the final spark to this delightful front end.

Last edited:

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
I agree 100% with you, so much that we chose to exhibit them at the this year's THE Show here in California.
I've told my friends at Wilson that the speakers are too good to be constricted to the "computer speaker" category :) They're world class bookshelves, that, given the proper support, can shine as good as any.
And yeah, silk dome > beryllium any day for me as well.
Hello Alex,
Have you had any opportunity to see/review the recently announced Wilson stands made for the Tots?
Best,
Warren

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, I saw that they were announced, but we haven't seen any of them yet.
But like I said earlier, they make a lot of sense, given how good the Tots are in standard audiophile applications (like a normal bookshelf speaker, not just sitting on a desk).

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
We recently downsized from a home with a dedicated sound room selling our Magico Q3’s into Hong Kong and Devialet monoblocks into California. Our move into a smaller high rise condo presented a number of challenges as we tend to listen nightly and, on occasion, push up the volume a tad.
In pursuit of a smaller speaker which could offer some of what we enjoyed in our former sound room but without a prominent base signature, we visited our local stereo hut which had a pair of TuneTots mounted on sand-filled metal.stands (not sitting on the desk/bureau,/cadenza, shown in the Wilson promo material). Upon addition we quickly brought them home.
Just wanted to relay our experience.
These speakers are not simply just desk mounted ”computer” speakers as shown in Wilson literature, nor just something in the kitchen for local PBS broadcasts but, rather, extraordinary, near-field monitors for smaller “condo” environments.
Our Tots are stand mounted, driven by a dCS Bartok and a pair of PS Audio Stellar monoblocks and sound simply exquisite.
Just a heads up as I believe they may be slightly misrepresented in the initial launch literature.
And BTW, as a former Magico beryllium tweeter devotee, that silk dome is just so beguiling!
I listened to these today extensively and I couldn't agree more about what you said here. These are some damn fantastic loudspeakers with the right gear. I listened with my Sugden gear and it's a match made in heaven. I am considering purchasing them, they're that good.

Last edited:

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
Everything seems positive when it comes to the tots but I was wondering if anyone had any comments how they performed on the iso bases on a desk rather than on stands in a listening space?

Im pondering a set to be used primarily on the desk but have cables long enough that they can be moved to stands when the time/mood allows.

Thankyou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing