Power Amp advice needed

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I own a Wells Audio Inamorata. It is a wonderful amplifier and I am not getting rid of this gem right away. In fact I may keep it in my stable. I have back issues so I am not looking for 100 lb monoblocks. I am looking too add an amp to my quiver. I would consider an amp up to 45 lbs. They could me mono or stereo. Class D is acceptable provided the SQ is at least equal to my Wells. I'd like 100-125 watts range. I typically buy preowned and my budget is 3 to 4K. It will be fronted by a Rogue RP7, Auralic Vega Dac, VPI Classic 2 Dynavector 20X2L and Art Audio Vinyl Reference phono. Speakers are of my own design satori Mw16P and TW29. and GR Research Subs. Thanks.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
SPL Performer S800, It's Class B so it is light and efficient yet doesn't have that cold Class D sound

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
SPL Performer S800, It's Class B so it is light and efficient yet doesn't have that cold Class D sound

I know of no Class B amp that will sound as good as a well sorted Class D. Unless I'm mistaken Class B is not considered to be a worthy 'audio' amplifier. FWIW and IMO Rogue makes some really fine Hybrid Class D amps.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I know of no Class B amp that will sound as good as a well sorted Class D. Unless I'm mistaken Class B is not considered to be a worthy 'audio' amplifier. FWIW and IMO Rogue makes some really fine Hybrid Class D amps.
I have not heard a good Class D. So far my favorite amp is an Antique Sound Lab Hurricane 200. What is a good Class D?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

It's class AB.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
bones, you have already stated you like Rogue(as do I), I've auditioned this up against a pair of Martin Logan Spire's, sounded great IMO

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
It's class AB.
Nope, Class B. I spoke with SPL, thats how they are able to get it in a small chassis and lots of power.

Reactions: Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Naim amps were class B- maybe still are not sure but back in the day yes. Not my favorite amps but certainly not PA amps either

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Oh I am not defending class B! Just saying some have implemented it to a higher than 'PA' level. Of course PA amps aren't class B anymore either :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing