Power amplifier output according to AES

cheonmu

Nov 11, 2021
Hello.

I have a total of 4 old JBL 2226H 15" Woofer units.

The specifications of this product say 8 ohms, 600W (AES).

And I want to connect two of these woofers to the woofers in parallel.

But I have a hard time understanding AES.

In the article I read, I saw that when AES is expressed as RMS, the value decreases.

So, if I buy a woofer of 1,000W at a minimum of 4 ohms per channel, can I take full advantage of the performance of this woofer?

I'd like to hear some advice on how much power to buy an amp.

Thank you.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The AES standard specifies pink noise with a crest factor of 12 dB (4:1 peak to average power), at least last time I looked. In any event, the 600 W is the average power (the product of RMS voltage and RMS current is average power -- "RMS power" is not a valid unit though widely used in audio ratings). In this case, AES defines the type of test signal used. And duration, which I believe is two hours. That is, the AES power test is passed if you apply pink noise with a 12 dB crest factor for two hours, and there is no damage to the speaker (driver).

IIRC, the previous AES test used 6 dB crest factor, or 2:1 peak to average power, so if the drivers are older they may follow that older standard. It does not change the average power rating, just how high are the peaks.

How much power you need depends upon more than just the speaker power handling. You need to know the sensitivity of the speaker in its cabinet (usually in dB/W/m), how loudly you want to play (SPL in dB at the listening position), and how far away you are. If the average power exceeds the capacity of your driver, then you'll need to add drivers (and enough power to drive them).

There are many simplified SPL calculators online. Here is one: _Peak SPL Calculator

If the drivers are very old, you should carefully inspect the surround, spider, and cone material to make sure they have not degraded over time, which will reduce their ability to handle high power. Similarly, permanent magnets are not really permanent and lose flux (magnetism) over time, again reducing the driver's maximum output. Finally, some drivers use ferrofluid for cooling, and that tends to evaporate and dry out over time. I do not know if your drivers use fluid cooling.

HTH - Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing