Power cables: What would it take to change your view?

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for sharing audioguy.
In the spirit of this thread, tell us what experience you'd need to have that would lead you to think that cables do make a difference

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ok. So why is it being used as a proof in a power cable only thread? Please tell me you can see the problem here.

Bear in mind, Minnesota started by having Shunyata power cords first...which is what led them to ask Shunyata to come...there is a bit in the middle of the video where the Doctor says they tried the simple cables first, and then when they did have an improvement (not a big one but a measureable one), then they asked Shunyata to come with the whole menu of options, which is when they got the 'artifact so small it was not even measureable' effect.

I also note the hospital evaluated Shunyata products in an ascending order finding the more Shunyata products they applied to the system, the better the resolution capabilities of the heart monitors, and they are using Shunyata power cables. While I suspect the power conditioners made a greater difference, i also believe given the scientific way in which they approached testing Shunyata, they had a reason for using Shunyata power cables which is that they work.

Last edited:

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Bear in mind, Minnesota started by having Shunyata power cords first...which is what led them to ask Shunyata to come...there is a bit in the middle of the video where the Doctor says they tried the simple cables first, and then when they did have an improvement (not a big one but a measureable one), then they asked Shunyata to come with the whole menu of options, which is when they got the 'artifact so small it was not even measureable' effect.

I also note the hospital evaluated Shunyata products in an ascending order finding the more Shunyata products they applied to the system, the better the resolution capabilities of the heart monitors, and they are using Shunyata power cables. While I suspect the power conditioners made a greater difference, i also believe given the scientific way in which they approached testing Shunyata, they had a reason for using Shunyata power cables which is that they work.

Not sure if you've heard of Monty Python over there, but I can't help thinking how great the machine that goes "Ping" would sound if it had Shunyata cables :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure if you've heard of Monty Python over there, but I can't help thinking how great the machine that goes "Ping" would sound if it had Shunyata cables :)

Or what would happen if you turned your amp up to 'eleven'? Would the volume go to 12 with these cables? ;)

In any event, always good to challenge yourself with questions from time to time.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Thanks for sharing audioguy.
In the spirit of this thread, tell us what experience you'd need to have that would lead you to think that cables do make a difference

I said this: "if I were to go for a listen to a comparison by someone who thought they could help me hear the differences, I would still insist on a blind listening session."

If, in a blind test, I could statistically tell the difference, then I would become a believer...... as long as the cables under consideration did not have network boxes on the end, since, in my opinion, that is not an apples to apples comparison.

I have said more than once that I am not in a position to say that cables don't make a difference, but I can say, I have yet to hear it under more than one set of circumstances ... all blind and not just in the example I noted above. Who knows, maybe I just have crappy hearing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Usually i stay out of cable threads because i think one can get satisfying sound without spending that much on cables , i can buy a couple of tapedecks for 10 grant ;)

Dont know if this link was placed here yet ,i agree with steve , seems there is at last something constructive in the cable bizz .

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/shunyata_research_medical.htm

That article has been mentioned here - particularly in regards to the quality of the "ping" sound.

I

plissken

Feb 24, 2017

Again. This thread is solely about power cables. Your explanation above does absolutely nothing for providing insight into the function of their Power Cables. Honestly I think any posts that promote them in this manner should be redacted because you are using a power conditioner brush to paint a PC benefits house.

Other companies like Taurus, Furman, SurgeX, APC all make power conditioning equipment that could, most likely, provided the same benefit.

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
That article was fascinating to say the least. Appears that science supports listening at least for those able to hear the difference. Consider me very impressed!!

What's to be impressed about. The only data given is for power cables plugged into power conditioning.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What's to be impressed about. The only data given is for power cables plugged into power conditioning.

Actually, they start with lesser Shunyata cables and built up...so its relevant in that, as a proxy, a science-based medical company has measure Shunyata and elected to use BOTH their power cables and their power conditioners. If the cables did not work, they would have stuck with just the power conditioners.

Given that this is a forum without the lab testing equipment, it is entirely relevant as a data point.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Again. This thread is solely about power cables. Your explanation above does absolutely nothing for providing insight into the function of their Power Cables. Honestly I think any posts that promote them in this manner should be redacted because you are using a power conditioner brush to paint a PC benefits house.

Other companies like Taurus, Furman, SurgeX, APC all make power conditioning equipment that could, most likely, provided the same benefit.

You don't think that they compared different cables plugged into the same power "conditioning"? I know I did.

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
First time I have seen ANY scientific data to support that power conditioners and/or power cords make a difference - a combination or otherwise.

How can you miss the obvious elephant:

Are the results power conditioning

Are the results power cabling

Are the results power cabling plus power conditioning

If power conditioning what would have you so surprised? Shuynata or otherwise. Who's to say APC, SurgeX, etc.... wouldn't have yielded the same results? Who's to say just properly gauged cabling on power conditioning equipment would give the same results?

Which is it I'm looking at as it applies to the thread title? Build a logic diagram please because I think the obviousness of it is being missed.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Plissken,

I think a few us here believe that a scientific medical company that has shown its measurements has concluded they are buying and installing BOTH Shunyata power conditioners AND power cables in all of their heart monitoring set ups. They got to this point by ASCENDING use of more and more Shunyata products (INCLUDING THE POWER CABLES) The point is that this hospital and its tests demonstrated to THEM that they are happy to purchase and use Shunyata power cables. If the hospital liked the power conditioners and thought the power cables were useless, they would have bought only the power conditioners and saved thousands of dollars on the cables.

That for for [some of] us is a solid statement.

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
Hi Plissken,

I think a few us here believe that a scientific medical company that has shown its measurements has concluded they are buying and installing BOTH Shunyata power conditioners AND power cables in all of their heart monitoring set ups. They got to this point by ASCENDING use of more and more Shunyata products (INCLUDING THE POWER CABLES) The point is that this hospital and its tests demonstrated to THEM that they are happy to purchase and use Shunyata power cables. If the hospital liked the power conditioners and thought the power cables were useless, they would have bought only the power conditioners and saved thousands of dollars on the cables.

That for for [some of] us is a solid statement.

You're still missing the point: What are the contributors and how did they measure? I'm asking because I'm curious as to what the cabling did. Also find it surprising that for the costs of their diagnostic pieces of equipment that are responsible for QofL issues that they are this susceptible. I would be curious what the engineers at these outfits have to say for themselves. *I'm assuming the differences improve the diagnostic value for physicians.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You're still missing the point: What are the contributors and how did they measure? I'm asking because I'm curious as to what the cabling did. Also find it surprising that for the costs of their diagnostic pieces of equipment that are responsible for QofL issues that they are this susceptible. I would be curious what the engineers at these outfits have to say for themselves. *I'm assuming the differences improve the diagnostic value for physicians.

Trust me...i too would love to get the full breakdown of every component...after all, i'm an audiophile and its fun to see these things. That said, i would be embarrassed to go bother a physician literally saving lives by saying...hey...what percentage of the uplift in performance was from this particular cable vs the power conditioner...and did you compare the Denali to the Venom, etc?

BTW, lest i forget to say it...i appreciate you are trying to be super specific about cables vs conditioners...i can respect that. But in a hobby/passion where sometimes we get NO scientific evidence at all...or very [very] suspect 'measurements'...i think it is a solid data point that these guys shelled out thousands of dollars on power cables [yes, yes...in addition to the power conditioners]...and i personally suspect the power conditioners did far more for the systems than the cables. That said, i am intrigued to see they also bought the power cables and have made them part of the standard set up for all their monitoring setups.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing